Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Loading Itinaries
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading Itinaries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexnigma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Loading Itinaries Reply with quote

Hi all,
Some friends of mine have uploaded some .gdb files from a garmin for some motorcycling routes which I have downloaded and converted to Ov2 files and then put on my 920, but the problem I am having is that these routes seem to confuse themselves once on the tomtom. When I say that I load up an itinary and when I check the route you can clearly see at certain junctions every road is highlighted as if you have got to take every junction which is mad. Any ideas anyone. All I can think is when I convert them they must get confused and put loads of the same long and lat positions for waypoints maybe. Confused

Any help greatly appreciated. I am using ITN converter unless someone knows of a better program for this.

Regards,

Nigel
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the converted .gdb files as Itineraries themselves? Or are you picking the Itinerary locations from the new files, as shown on the Map?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
alexnigma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I put the converted files straight into the itn folder of tomtom.

I tried putting them into the map folder but nothing loads which is what I expected.

My only other thought was maybe during conversion the converter enables you to use google maps to view long and lat so maybe I could remove certain close waypoints and improve on it that way.

Any thoughts please. Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried putting .ov2 files in the itinerary folder... (cue some experiments... Cool )
But 'proper' TomTom itineraries are in .itn format, not ov2 which they use just for POI files.

You might need another converter....

POI Edit can load and save both .ov2 and .itn files

Don't forget the TT can only accept a certain number of waypoints in an itinerary too. I can't remember off-hand, but I think it might be 48.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexnigma wrote:
My only other thought was maybe during conversion the converter enables you to use google maps to view long and lat so maybe I could remove certain close waypoints and improve on it that way.
If the points (locations) in the dbf file is the itinerary that you wish to follow, then you have to maintain the order of those locations.

An OV2 doesn't understand about following a pre-planned route. It will be combined in a way that makes it efficient in real time, in a Map Display. The total area covered by the locations are divided up into smaller, and yet smaller, segments.

http://www.licour.com/gps/poi_format/poi_file_format.html shows the construction of POI files and the graphic shows how the Map overlay might be segmented into a very small area.

An TT Itinerary file is a pure text file that has a limited number of Waypoints.

Would it help if you sent me one of the DBF files to have a play with?

alexnigma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for your responce. I can send you a file no probs. What I am trying to achieve is this. When we go on a weekend blast with the motorcycle group I am in we do specific training routes which are compiled using a garmin device. I want to convert to my tomtom so when they say we are doing route 35 which maybe Kidderminster via Worcester then I know which one to load so I can then make my way to the meet point with no concern if we get split up.

If you send me your e-mail address I will send you a file for a Skegness run that we did recently.

Regards,

Nigel
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any files to test it with but gpsbabel will import Garmin .gdb files and export TT itinerary files (.itn) amongst all it's other conversion possibilities
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick-uk wrote:
I don't have any files to test it with but gpsbabel will import Garmin .gdb files and export TT itinerary files (.itn) amongst all it's other conversion possibilities
The problem was that the Garmin file had some 670 waypoints. The TT can handle only 48 per Itinerary.

I got it down to 48, but I don't know if the method I used has been successful on the files he's doing himself.

cleggie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a program called Tyre.

Its great for itinary files for tom tom.
Heres the link

http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is still the problem of reducing 670 waypoints to 48, or less.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: