Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PNF's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PNF's
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many waypoints do you really need, I find that a ten mile walk will only need between 10 to 20 waypoints, if you add hundreds then the display just looks cluttered and detracts from the functions such as distance to next waypoint.
The way the active10 creates routes from a track log doesn't help with this issue, but if you can see your location on the OS map at all times I fail to understand the need for hundreds of waypoints on the device - it takes too long to create them in the first place, and they are not required IMHO - Mike
theclaretvillan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to download the tracklog not the waypoints. Some of the tracklogs have 1000+ points.
So I am taking a walk down in Devon but can't get there to pioneer it. Waymoints arent enough, I want to see "exactly" where the walk goes so that I can get a more accurate distance (than from waypoints) and anticipate more exactly where we are going and possible problems and "see" the elevation profile.
If you can work with waypoints (which I might by myself) then there is no problem at all - is there?
If you want the tracklog to do elevation etc there is.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed GPSU today.

It seems that once you install the trial version (which allows you convert only 5 routes) then you can't revert back the the version bought with the routes, which is restricted in being unable to save.

Not a problem if you only use Satmap, but may cause problems if not.

For me, £40 to register the software so that I can test a beta a version that may or may not work (especially given the apparent inconsistancy of the DWG route files) in order to convert no more that 20 files from a disc that cost a tenner makes no sense.

Trying my Helvellyn file again following theclaretvillan's advice - "WGS84" with no spaces worked using GPSBabel. I am sure that part of the problem is the variety of devices used to track the routes originally.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really thought I had creacked it. by substituting WGS84.

I have now come to the lakes with the intention of coverting the files I need on my laptop the night before.

The test routess looked sensible against the base mapping. Now against the 1:25k National Park map I can see that the whole route seems to be offset between 0 and 200m to the right of where the footpaths (and lakes !) lie.

I have tried converting again using both gpsbabel and routeconverter, but get the same result.

Does anyone have any theories or solutions, please?

I have only very basic internet access via my pda, but I could in theory download software. I cannot access Routeshare.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: