Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lifetime Membership - sigh!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lifetime Membership - sigh!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonokimber wrote:
Did i read correctly that non subscribers submitting valid cameras are now also elligible for lifetime membership?

We have relaxed the subscriber requirement in some overseas countries to encourage reporting but here you do still need to be a subscriber.
jonokimber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see thank you. I was reading a 'foreign camera' thread and picked it up on that.

I'm afraid that having to be a subscriber (to qualify for lifer status) will now probably discourage me from contributing to the database as previously. Even though i only managed a few a year on average probably.

I understand it is probably a quality issue that drove this decision

To DennisN i am very aware that i can no longer download fresh updates and am stuck with my last download. Strangely though, if i think about it rationally, the fact that i very rarely came across a camera that would have qualified me for lifer status (if submitted) means that with the routes i tend to drive my current out of date database isn't as much of a setback as some may imagine.

Add that to the fact that I don't drive like a complete idiot, especially in unfamiliar territory and i'm fairly safe. I would benefit from a new database for sure, but its not the major problem it is sometimes purported to be, especially for my habits.

Jono
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
I agree with Jonokimber that if there was a way to inform you if you are the first to submit a location.
My subs have ran out and i did submit cameras but don't know if they are awaiting to be verified for me.
(I did Email darren but unable to give me a reply).
I know you can't reply to each query but if i was to qualify then i would like to know.
We need some way to have an email to be sent when when submit to say Yes or No.

So do i wait longer to find i did or did not qualify or pay up.
Kev
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys but this isn't gonna happen anytime soon.

By way of explanation, statistics show that those who report cameras continually are those who most often get the award. Take a look at the Lifetime Awards post each week and you'll see the same names regularly popping up even though they already qualified.

Holding back on reporting or renewing isn't really in the spirit of the whole thing and so we're not about to make it easier for you to do so.

If you renew it costs you £19.99, if you then get the Lifetime Award does that really matter given you now have a lifetime of free updates? If it does then I'm afraid you've misunderstood the ethos of the whole system.

The offer is fair and genuine, approx 20 members each week secure the award so there is no catch and the terms are clear and simple. At the end of the day, if you have submitted a camera that qualifies you will find out when we award you the Lifetime Subscription. Until then if you value the database you ought to be subscribing and reporting. It's give and take.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Gluey

Which area did you submit cameras in? I do the Verifying in the North East of England!

Steven

iPhone 12
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gluey wrote:
Hi All,
I agree with Jonokimber that if there was a way to inform you if you are the first to submit a location.

There is a simple way of knowing if you were the first to submit a new camera, no need to go posting questions which cost the administrator blood sweat and tears (although I don't know if it's still available to you with expired subscription).

First, every submission results in an auto-generated email reply, confirming the submission has been received and repeating back to you the details you have submitted. Save it, or print it and save the printout. then using the location coordinates shown on that email.....
On the camera submissions page, go to the location of the camera you submitted and if you were the first submitter, you will see a coloured symbol which is YOUR camera. Like it says in the red notes on that page (your own submissions that have been provisionally included). You are the only person who can see that symbol (except we Moderators and Verifiers can see it also). So if you can see a symbol, you've got a camera awaiting verification, with a prospect (but NOT a guarantee - it may be rejected by the Verifier) of free lifetime membership. If you can't see a symbol, you did not submit a qualifying camera.

There are different coloured symbols for different camera types and they look like this...

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven,
I submitted a mobile van on the A690 near to sunderland town centre.
I will get full details later for you.

I will continue to input new locations when i find them as thats the way it works.
I just thought it would be good to get some kind of feed back to say if you were the first to input that location even though it needs to be verified.

Thanks
Kev
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven,
I see you have sent more info while i was replying from first post.
I will look at the map again.
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven,
When i look at the map it shows a 30 mile sign where i input the mobile.
I need to check my input location but iam not at home to check them yet.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A690 in Sunderland? I believe I have already verified that one. There are NO pMobiles in the city centre currently as at writing this reply.

iPhone 12
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven,
The Pmobile site i submitted was
Pmobile 60029@30
N54 54.130 , W 1 23.608
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ gluey

I sucessfully (i think Confused) verified that location about 2 months ago. MaFt will have to confirm its status, but as long as i said 'yes' to it, then it will require a further 2 independent submissions to make it to the main database and to get you your lifetime subscription. Assuming you were fully paid up at time of submission! Very Happy

iPhone 12
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. That helps alot.
I just wanted to know one way or another if i was the first to submit it.
Each time i loooked on the map it first showed as pending mobile and now shows a 30 sign.

I understand the length of time to confirm etc but i was not sure if i was the first. Thats all i was asking for.
Cheers and keep up the good work.
Kev
grahama41
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I entered 10 camera sites in Belgium and Holland on April 19th last year. If I look on the map when I'm logged in I see red boxes with a cross through the middle at the coordinates of my submissions and therefore I assume I am the first to post these locations. But .... none have been validated yet and just like the original post, I am at the end of my years subscription.

Please, please can foreign sites be validated more quickly. I've seen written on this forum before that there aren't many validators in some countries but these cameras are on major roads to Zeeland in Holland and so they must be passed by others on a regular basis.

Just to clarify .... I was a fully subscribed member of pocketgps when I sent in these camera locations. If I don't resubscribe this year and these cameras do finally get validated, I will get a free subscription for life???

By the way, the TomTom camera database is fantastic in Holland (not surprising I guess!) and the PocketGPS one is very poor. Sure, in the UK it's the other way around but I can't afford both so I'll have to make the choice.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grahama41 wrote:
Please, please can foreign sites be validated more quickly. I've seen written on this forum before that there aren't many validators in some countries but these cameras are on major roads to Zeeland in Holland and so they must be passed by others on a regular basis.

slight problem with this method though, a) risk of incorrect data (location, speed etc) and b) high chance of people submitting fake cameras just to get a free lifetime sub...

grahama41 wrote:
Just to clarify .... I was a fully subscribed member of pocketgps when I sent in these camera locations. If I don't resubscribe this year and these cameras do finally get validated, I will get a free subscription for life???

yes, you qualify if: you are a subscribed member at the time of submission

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: