Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - v825 map failure update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

v825 map failure update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Fluke or fix?

It feels like a fix because the map that installed was the same copy (i.e. cached) as the one that previosuly failed...

Whatever it was, and I suspect a fix, doesn't it give a nice feeling when it eventually works. Very Happy

Now, I suppose you have to deal with all those Favourites you had (past tense) Sad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was 1:30 am when it worked so it was a relief. I hate going to bed with things like this unresolved....

Favourites - no. Always keep them as a POI file. Easier to manage and no messing when you update maps. Just Speed Cams and re-pair the Mobile Phone and i was done...
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
It was 1:30 am when it worked so it was a relief. I hate going to bed with things like this unresolved....

Favourites - no. Always keep them as a POI file. Easier to manage and no messing when you update maps. Just Speed Cams and re-pair the Mobile Phone and i was done...

My mistake, when I got my new 730 earlier this year I just used the favourites folder. Now I will have to convert them all to POIs and in future do what you have done. Meanwhile more unnecessary work Crying or Very sad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it comes from Garmin ownership where sometimes it easier to find the co-ords of a destination with Google Earth and type them into a CSV file. I can update a CSV file for my Favs / POIs for the Garmin with Excel or Notepad and then save another copy without the column headings and convert to OV2 for the TT.
Gerry123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Latest W&C Europe Maps Reply with quote

Bought this the other night.

Tried twice to install through TTH, failed both times. Over three hours wasted. Was running Vista at the time. My PC is dual boot to old XP. Started in XP, downloaded again, worked first time.

More than a coincidence methinks.
G8AMB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Happy Ending! But why? Reply with quote

Well I had my TomTom fault ticket moved to second line a few days ago, but no update.

I also tried it on an old XP machine a couple of days ago with no success.

However last night I thought I would have another quick go on my Vista PC and O2 broadband connection.

Hey Presto, after about half an hour is had all successfully completed with no errors.

It sounds like TomTom may have fixed the problem - but who knows what really happened.

I am going to leave the ticket open with them to see if they come back with anything.

After several frustrating hours I now have the update I paid hard cash for. No wonder people pirate these things!
Ianr8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I found this forum last Wednesday and glad (yet very frustrated) that others are having the same problem.
I'm onto my second unit and tried to download the map this morning. It failed again at excatly the same place as has been reported earlier. I'm with O2 as well. (xp machine fails on 'crpoi' extraction) Sad
I've logged a question with Tomtom but see their support only works Mon-Fri. I'm loathed to use the suggested work around as the product is brand new and will I get this problem when I want to download maps in future.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, is your PC cable connected to the internet modem or is the data being sent using WiFi - I have known WiFi networks to cause strange problems with the Home software and map updates - Mike
Ianr8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's hard wired from my router into the back of my pc.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have any other updates to install at the same time - i.e. QuickFix, MapShare etc?

If so, try installing them first (without the map selected) and then try the map again...
Ianr8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did all of the smaller installs first to bring the unit up to date before using the lastest map update.
I've also this morning hooked the unit up to my laptop (vista business & hard wired to router) and tried again. Still no joy. Only another hour wasted! Fails at exactly the same spot.
It's a shame really as the unit itself is great but I fear I'm going to send it back unless Tomtom come up with something sensible next week.
Ianr8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard back from Tomtom today and they had the cheek just to repeat the work around you guys found. So much for Support!!!. I'd heard it was bad but this is riduculous.
Anyway it's all done now so I just wanted to say a big Thank You for finding away around this.
Apart from this 'hiccup' I think the 740 is a cracking unit (have already subscribed and downloaded the database).
Thanks once again
Ian
bazzaNW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: same problem on 930 Reply with quote

Got my postcode sorted thanks to the forum, thought I'd check what map was available. Under the guaranteed map thing it said I could download latest version free.
Spent ages downloading, on direct cable to my router, on Tiscali not O2.
Downloads ok but screws up on install.
Read all this forum and checked the zip file. If I click on the zip file it just says the file is corrupt.
At one point I lost all europe maps and just had america.
Did a restore to get back where I was.
Tried deleting map folder and re downloading the free update 4 times, every time it is corrupt.
Ianr8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you're having problems too. I evenetually heard back from tomtom who basically told me to do what had been suggested on this forum. Not exactly helpful but I've done it and the unit's been fine since. In fact I think it's brilliant having never had a satnav before. Travelled back from Aviemore to Exeter yestersday and it got every traffice jam right- amazing!.
Good luck.
G8AMB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: 3 months on another new map, the same problem! Reply with quote

Well I got an email from TomTom saying my new map is ready for collection.

Just tried and I am getting the same problem.

I am wondering if their systems just can't cope with the demand.

Anyone else having problems?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: