Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - v8.25 Map now out to purchase, no new application!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

v8.25 Map now out to purchase, no new application!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: this is a first Reply with quote

silversurfer wrote:
tomtom support have phoned ME at home to tell me that i was advised correct the first time i questioned getting the new maps with the LMG, i will only be allowed the 815 maps and so will anybody else who turned there tomtom on while there was only 815 maps

That is outrageous and just plain WRONG.
I suggest you take a screen grab of their webpage https://www.tomtom.com/latestmap/ and store it, in case they sneakily try to change it.

You should also send copies to them.

This is how it appears tonight:

NOTE: "So if a newer version of your map is available within 30 days of first using your device, you can download it for free(1x) at TomTom HOME!" (my bold text).

The Home Help file gives a similar story:

NOTE: "Your map will then be updated to the latest version available" (my bold text).

Those have been the established conditions ever since the LMG was devised.

It is perfectly clear and they can't wriggle out of it.

If they are honouring free remote controls to purchasers of the 940 at Halfords because of dodgy advertising copy, they can certainly honour this.
revmrf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded v 8.25 of USA & Canada with no problem. I'm using a refurbished XL that had v 7.10 and I couldn't get LMG as TT changed their policy on refurbished devices in the U.S. It has many corrections that lacked in my old version. However, it doesn't have a city that's nearby. As I'm a newbie to TT, how do I notify them of this error.
silversurfer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: this is a first Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
silversurfer wrote:
tomtom support have phoned ME at home to tell me that i was advised correct the first time i questioned getting the new maps with the LMG, i will only be allowed the 815 maps and so will anybody else who turned there tomtom on while there was only 815 maps

That is outrageous and just plain WRONG.
I suggest you take a screen grab of their webpage https://www.tomtom.com/latestmap/ and store it, in case they sneakily try to change it.

You should also send copies to them.

This is how it appears tonight:

NOTE: "So if a newer version of your map is available within 30 days of first using your device, you can download it for free(1x) at TomTom HOME!" (my bold text).

The Home Help file gives a similar story:

NOTE: "Your map will then be updated to the latest version available" (my bold text).

Those have been the established conditions ever since the LMG was devised.

It is perfectly clear and they can't wriggle out of it.

If they are honouring free remote controls to purchasers of the 940 at Halfords because of dodgy advertising copy, they can certainly honour this.

I explained all this and told him what their web pages where saying reading it word for word , but they were adamant that there was no way i was getting the new maps.
I will try again in a few days and fire off a few emails with the screen shots in but not holding my breath.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also note this wording

Quote:
Latest map guarantee
Your device houses our best maps – and our latest map guarantee makes you right up to date. If we release a new version of your device's map within 30 days of your purchase, you can download that map for free via TomTom HOME.

Spotted on this page

I'm keeping a copy of that page....
gerrydurkan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E/mailed tomtom support today regarding LMG ,they say I am entitled to the latest map ,which they say is v825 ,but they are still offering me v815
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you look around the forum, you will find that LMG has ALWAYS been flaky when a new map is released - their LMG server or whatever has not yet been updated to show v825. Leave it for a couple of days and it'll change.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but being a pedant.

Taking TT's statement, "If we release a new version of your device's map within 30 days of your purchase you can download that map for free via TomTom HOME".

If the words 'within 30 days of your purchase' are associated with 'If we release a new version of your device's map' then you are entitled to it.

If the words 'within 30 days of your purchase' are associated with 'you can download that map for free' then you are not entitled to it.

It's not clear English but I think it can be construed as you are entitled to the map if it was issued between the date your TT was manufactured and the date you bought it, but not if it was issued up to 30 days after you bought it.

Remember they are not an English company and probably wrote the LMG in Dutch then had it translated into English
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But in the version that Paul quotes above, there *is* a comma, which clearly puts the "30 days" with the "latest map" Smile
hazzamon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:
Remember they are not an English company and probably wrote the LMG in Dutch then had it translated into English

They can still afford English lawyers.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely the "support" rep Joker who said you can't have v825 didn't know the answer so made it up as he went along. Most other posters have been told they can have it but may have to wait a couple of days.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My email from TT says

Quote:
The version 825 map was released on the same day as you sent your message. It usually takes a few days for new maps to be uploaded to TomTom Latest Map Guarantee Server. We recommend that you try again in a few days. If you are near the end of the Latest Map Guarantee period and are unable to access the map, then please send a copy of proof of purchase for your TomTom product to us and we will request that the latest map be applied to your account.
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P

In the version quoted by you and silver surfer there is no comma. They look more like extracts direct from the TT source.

PaulB2005's version looks like he typed it himself with a comma.

A little comma does make a difference. But like I say I am a pedant.

I write specifications for building work to be tendered and carried out by contractors. You would be amazed at the number of different meanings that can be read into half a dozen or so simple words by various parties who all want them to mean something in particular to suit their purposes. Large sums of money can be gained or lost by a different interpretation of a loosely worded phrase.
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry Andy_P, there is a comma in the versions you both posted.

Should've gone to Specsavers.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PaulB2005's version looks like he typed it himself with a comma.

Just to clarify my post was an un-edited copy and paste from the email. No artificial commas added. Wink
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not often I side with TomTom and the LMG wording is definitely ambiguous. However, if you read the first para:

When you buy a brand new TomTom device, there’s a small chance that a newer map has been released since your device was manufactured.

Note the bold words. The LMG is intended to upgrade to the map available when you purchase (in practice when you first turn it on, if you can upgrade via HOME) in case the unit has been sitting on the shelves for 6 months. This seems reasonable to me.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: