Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Error found on new v825 map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Error found on new v825 map
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
washman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Error found on new v825 map Reply with quote

Hi

Have just downloaded the new 825 map to One XL and found that the A350 at the village of East Knoyle in Wiltshire now goes around narrow lanes, instead of going straight on. So any HGV's or large vehicles will most likely get stuck, if following Tomtom instructions.

Mike
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be thousands of errors on the map and if everyone was reported on this forum it would soon fill up.
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: A350 Reply with quote

This particular stretch of the A350 has been 'corrected' in the Mapshare by people so many times, the mapping has been wrong from day one. No amount of corrections will change it. I have sent messages to TomTom for years (literally). But with every 'New' map, nothing has been changed. So only update from a 'Trusted' source
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, I'm an AlmostAudimettallicsilvervanman. Laughing

First picture below shows "old" incorrect mapping, with the dotted line being probably the correct line for the actual road.

Second picture shows the 825 map, indicating the more or less true course of A350, the old 810/815 map route and the now preposterous 825 map.

Apologies for the poor zoom comparison - I did try hard to get them alike. Presumably, Stuart, you've become so accustomed to this part that you do the same as I - simply give up and follow the real road until TomTom catches up. I wonder what effect it may have on good old IQ Routes.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
zaffy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone done a comparison of the same strech of road using both NAVTEQ and TELE ATLAS
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goto Google Maps and type in (or copy and paste)

51.07735,-2.16682

then switch to satellite view...

However my Garmin 2009 maps show the route accurately.

perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just ran the same exercise on a spare Garmin (200W) that we have and found exactly the same thing.

That's it then, is there anything that TT can do properly? Rubbish maps, rubbish OS, poor customer service etc

From my perspective I am not going to cut my nose of to spite my face, so to speak, but once I have had enough of my TT 540 Live I am going back to Garmin products.

..........and I certainly won't be renewing my map subscription when it expires.
Malouff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN,

I have never been to Europe so don't know the road.
I however was looking at the online TomTom Route Planner for the area described.

N 51.077735°, W 2.16682°

Is it just me or does the Route Planner look like it is still using the 8.15 maps as it looks more like that then how you show it on the new 8.25 maps.

I thought that the route planner could be used to check for a map changes without first having to buy the maps.
I will have to try this again in a few days and see if it changes.
Either that or it is using the new maps and my eyes are not seeing what I should be looking for.

What do you think is the online route planner using the 8.15 maps or 8.25 maps?
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map shown correctly on my Medion with Navteq maps - version Q2-2007
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malouff wrote:
What do you think is the online route planner using the 8.15 maps or 8.25 maps?
I really don't know, but what you are seeing is not the new 825.2157 map I downloaded this morning. Look at those coordinates on Google Earth and it seems to have the physical road correct, a curve to the east of the "map" road. Same can be viewed on the pgpsw camera submission page in Hybrid view. It seems to me that the A350 used to pass along the westerly rural route which has now been picked up by map825, the new road was designed and built along the curve which I've indicated, but some numpty cartographer drew it in as a straight line from the start of the section of new road to the end of it!!

As for Route Planner being used to check before downloading new maps, that's not how I understood the sales pitch for it. It's a Beta thing, so I assume it will be TomTom's intention/hope to sell the thing at some time in the future for us to plan our routes in advance. However, in another thread I've seen someone commenting that it cannot be translated to the TomTom device AND that routes differ when planned on devices and the online Route Planner. So far as I'm aware, they haven't said why they have produced it. It seems to me another bright idea which will consume resources to detract from their core function of giving us decent navigation.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Presumably, Stuart, you've become so accustomed to this part that you do the same as I - simply give up and follow the real road until TomTom catches up. I wonder what effect it may have on good old IQ Routes.

DennisN..Like yourself, I travel all over the Country and tend to ignore any 'suggested' map changes. I can't think for the life of me where the 825 map trys to take motorists...Through some poor farmers silage store no doubt. 10 out of 10 for artwork though.
P.S. I now have an unmarked metallic blue Transit, so be warned. Wink

P.P.S I have actually delivered to Binegar.... Rolling Eyes
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Forth Road bridge in Edinburgh is STILL classed as a toll road. Been reported directly to the people concerned, and its still not been fixed. And i can't be the only person to have told them all toll roads in Scotland have gone!!

iPhone 12
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Google Maps version a more recent release than what we are being offered by Tomtom (99.9% sure), it should be convenient now to check Google to see if an upcoming release has the corrections you're concerned about. If the error is still in the current Google map then I would think it unlikely to be corrected in the next TomTom offering three months from now.
washman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

On the A350 East Knoyle v825 map the road shown now follows a very narrow lane , if you are in a car and meet a pedestrian on one part of it the pedestrian has to get into the hedge. The coorrect route is the middle of the three roads ,the dotted line road is the original before the road was straightened .

Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

washman wrote:
Hi

OThe coorrect route is the middle of the three roads ,the dotted line road is the original before the road was straightened .

You sure about that?
So the Google maps aerial image is wrong?

Why would they straighten such a gentle curve?

MS Live Maps (which uses Navteq data) also shows the correct road layout as being the one to the right (the dotted one in DennisN's drawing)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: