Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Well I Returned my Unit to Aldi
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Well I Returned my Unit to Aldi
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walpurgis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this forthcoming all-in-one may be what you need:

http://www.navman-europe.com/product_details.php?id=AA00XXXX

It looks like good value at £399, especially as it comes with street-level maps of 16 European countries.

I think it is based on same Mitac Mio PDA that Evesham are selling for £449.99 but uses different software, which includes 3D views.

It's due in June and, judging from the long list of retailers, may be available at discounted prices.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the very same unit as the Evesham/CoPilot bundle. I'm just finishing a review of the Mio 168 used and it's a very nice capable receiver, much smaller than it looks.

Evesham's bundle comes with a mount, external antenna, memory card, cigarette power lead etc, you'd need to clarify that the Navman bundle comes with these before comparing them on price but we'll hopefully get one in for review and see.
walpurgis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Expansys web site, which gives a bit more detail than the Navman site, the package includes a 128MB SD card and a "full car kit" including a mounting bracket and charger. Doesn't mention an external antenna, though.

The pre-order price is £384.95 (inc VAT). Sounds like a potentially good deal for anyone who wants to minimise in-car wiring, or who wants to use sat-nav away from a car.. or who travels around Europe a lot.

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=113072

Global Positioning Systems are also offering the Mitac PDA with the built in GPS receiver, but without navigation software for £299.95:

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?product_id=760&category_id=69
mastertek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Took my ppc200 back last week on Thursday and was lucky to be second in the que. So far the ppc250 seems to be working fine though I have only done one sync. If I do another and all goes well I'll be happy. If it doesn't I'll take it back for a full refund and buy a different brand.
By the way folks Medion never did ring me back. What a shower!
budgie55
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you got yourself sorted Mastertek Smile

I hope the new unit doesnt give you the problems the last one did!!.

I also bought one of the new units which (touch wood) has been working fine.

I have actually gone with DaveW advice on using Active Sync version 3.7 rather than 3.7.1 (which was giving me one or to problems and lockups).

My OS is XP Pro (no Service pack 1).

Dont give up on it to easily if you do have the odd mishap with active sync. It does freeze on occasions and foul up. I have found that if you end 2 tasks called wcescomm.exe and WCESMgr.exe then you can then restart Active sync from the start menu and all should be fine. Sometimes I have had to undock the unit and redock it for it to re-establish the connection.

Best of luck if you have any problems drop a thread on here maybe someone somewhere has a fix Smile

All the best

Allan Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
TJM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the difference between the new (PPC250) and old (PPC200) Aldi bundle (apart from the case and buttons looking different)? Is there more on-board memory? What is the DaViDeo software ? Is the case a little more fragile ? Have they moved tee position of the battery cover lock ?

I have the original package and have had loads of problems with the memory appearing to being corrupted. This happens if I insert the stylus when connected via USB to laptop. Also, I have to do a HARD reset every few weeks because a soft reset shows the start-up picture (with the lady in black and white) with some pixels being black. I have to do this when ACTIVESYNC fails to connect as well.

So I was wondering if it was worth trying to swap for the newer model.

Any advise from the forum members ?
walpurgis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PDAs are totally different and probably from different manufacturers. The PPC200 has been sold under other names including, I think, Mitac and Yakumo, and uses a 400Mhz XScale processor. The PPC250 uses a 266MHz Samsung processor and its closest equivalent appears to be Hewlett-Packard's Ipaq 1940 (without that model's built-in Bluetooth). Although the Samsung processor is slower, its performance is said to be close to that of a 400MHz xScale and it uses less energy.

I'm not sure what version of the Medion Navigator software was supplied with the PPC200 package, but the PPC250 comes with version 3.1 which, according to the manual, has new functions including a speed display, a quick search function, automatic continuation of a route, and assigning user-defined names to destinations.

Curiously, the latest version of the Aldi-Medion package that has gone on sale in Germany today (for €379 - about £250) appears to be based on the older PPC200 PDA.

http://germany.aldi.com/

I haven't tried the DaVideo software yet but apparently it allows you to store DVD films onto a memory card. You can then watch them on your PDA screen - although, with its limited resolution, I can't see much point in this.

So far I have had no problems with the ActiveSync, memory or battery lock with the new model... but it's early days.
druck
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildduck wrote:
To get this absolutely clear, do I understand Vicky to be saying that the unit will not work as a GPS without a vehicle power supply?

You need to power the GPS antenna via the lighter plug. However I bought a cheap lighter socket, connected it to a 9V PP3 battery and made a case out of a small plastic bottle. The battery is enough to power the GPS and give you a working system. It will go flat pretty quickly if it has power the GPS and charge up the PDA though.

I knocked this up so I'd have some idea of where I was if I got stuck in the Australian Outback on holiday last month.

Cheers
---Dave
fergus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea Dave. I'd wondered if this would work but thought I would need 12v which would mean 4AA and a battery case which was too much hassle. I might give it a try next time I go to a city on holiday

Fergus
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the voltage although 12v at the socket is stepped down in the plug to 5v to supply the GPS and PDA.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: