Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Audible audio books and 940
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Audible audio books and 940
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
limans75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard for your quick response.

I still dont see how tomtom can advertise the 940 as being suitable for audible.co.uk and even including audible.co.uk example audio books on the tomtom when the 940 isnt aubible.co.uk compatible.

Its like me opening a car dealership, selling a new top of the range car but the car isnt going to have any seats in it!

Has anyone else purchased the 940 believing it would be work with audible.co.uk?
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, where does it actually say the 940 is compatible with audiobooks from Audible.co.uk? I've had a look on the info pages at TomTom and when you look at the music area, it seems to me that the icon for Audiobooks is 'greyed out', indicating to me that the option is not available on that device.

The manual (pdf) from the site is a generic one for all the x40 devices and I can't see anything mentioned in there regarding Audible.co.uk

I'd hate to see you create hassle for yourself with TT support in the future if it's not specifically stated somewhere.
Larok
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tomtom website now says that audiobooks works on the x40 series. Further notes to the support team gain either no reply or that it is just, 'an error' on the site!

http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=21&tab=18

"Audiobooks is currently only available for TomTom GO 940/740/540 LIVE, GO 930/730/530, GO 920/720/520 and the GO 910."

are they avin a larf!
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larok wrote:
The tomtom website now says that audiobooks works on the x40 series. Further notes to the support team gain either no reply or that it is just, 'an error' on the site!

http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=21&tab=18

"Audiobooks is currently only available for TomTom GO 940/740/540 LIVE, GO 930/730/530, GO 920/720/520 and the GO 910."

are they avin a larf!

Yes, but that link shows a link which directs you to Audible.com not Audible.co.uk Maybe the US versions work and the UK / Europe ones don't or the downloads from the US store will work on an x40 device?

That said, I've just connected to the US Store and the x40 series is not in the Compatible Devices list, so it looks like you will have to wait. Audible both here and in the US say they are testing devices and updating the list regularly.
Larok
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, can't really point a finger at audible over this one. Advertising a feature that dosn't work on the product manufacturers website seems wrong tho.
limans75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have finally recieved a response from Tomtom Support via email, and their response below:

" have just been informed by our engineers that this is indeed the case at this time and we are working on a solution in order to support the Audio Books from Audible.co.uk, as soon as this has been resolved I will email yourself to notify you of this."

I have aso recieved a response from Audible.co.uk who say they are currently waiting for TomTom to provide them with a copy of the firmware, so as you say this issue lays with TomTom at the moment.

But it really gets my goat up! that tomtom advertise the 940 as being compatible with Audible.co.uk and yet they havent even tried to make this funcation compatible yet!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't take this question as offensive, it is not meant to be, I just do not understand audiobooks and would like to understand why people want audiobooks on a navigation device? To me trying to follow a complicated passage would be very distracting whilst driving, a bit like listening to a play on the radio in the car. My mother uses a similar thing to audiobooks but that is due to her age and losing her ability to read.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
To me trying to follow a complicated passage would be very distracting whilst driving, a bit like listening to a play on the radio in the car.

Having tried this system when the 910 was new I gave up as you would miss large chunks of the book out due to concentration on the task in hand - namely driving the vehicle. In the end I used it to narrate the book while in hotel rooms so I did get to finish the book, but I would never bother with it for in car use - Mike
limans75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

No offense taken, I like to read however my busy life usually doesnt leave me time to read books. As I can be out on the road 10 hours a day sometimes it seams the ideal time to catch up on any new books.

I will agree with you on one point though, you do need to cosentrate on your driving so you dont obsorb as much of the audio book as you would a conventional book.

Audio books are ideal for those people who spend a lot of the time on the road but dont have much time at home to read books.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that listening to audiobooks whilst driving is not the best thing in the world, but I listen when parked up, rather than listen to some of the garbage that is on the radio.

Waiting in a car park for the wife to finish shopping is an ideal time to listen and I also have the Audible application on my phone, so I can listen in the Trafford Centre instead of loosing the will to live!

Why do women go in to every available shop twice before returning to the fisrt one they went is to make their purchase! I speak with authority, having a wife and two daughters!!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:

Why do women go in to every available shop twice before returning to the fisrt one they went is to make their purchase! I speak with authority, having a wife and two daughters!!

This is because if they buy something for £10 they did not really want but it was £1 cheaper in the first shop they have made £1 profit they can spend later. They overlook the wasted £10. Laughing
limans75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recieved an email from Tomtom, the 940 is now supported by Audible.co.uk! Finally after 4 chasing emails and threats of reporting this to the Advertising Standards Agency. Response below:

"We just got word that the audiobooks at Audible.co.uk Audio Books are now compatible for your 940. Once again we apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience in this matter."
Larok
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, working no problem now.

This does illustrate that what 1st line tell you is not always true and that TomTom eventually furfilled their end of the bargain on this one.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT finally paid their bill? Laughing
limans75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely, either that or they are slowing going through there complaints / faults list which I can understand would take a while given the ammount of them!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: