Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap & Bike Computer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap & Bike Computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Satmap & Bike Computer Reply with quote

Used the Satmap on the bike for the first time today.Everything went well,the mount is as firm as a rock,even so I wound the neck strap around the bars in case it parted company but there was no real need.

The strange thing I noticed was that my wireless bike computer ( Shimano Flightdeck ) wouldn't work for speed and distance when the Satmap was switched on.Turned Satmap off,computer worked OK.Satmap on,no speed or mileage.

Now I have had this before with a wireless Flightdeck on the tandem which did the same when the front light,powered by a SON dynohub,was switched on the Flightdeck didn't work.I can see the logic in this case as the light pulses on and off very rapidly so presumably sets up some sort of magnetic field which interferes with the wireless signal.I am at a loss to really see how a GPS would emit a strong enough signal to interfere with the computer.I can't see it being the GPS signal as presumably they are there all the time receiver or no receiver.

As can be seen from the picture the Satmap is 2-3cm higher than the computer head and the fork sender can be seen as the black object on the front fork so it is not as if they are side by side or the Satmap is physically obstructing the signal.

It is no big deal as I can do without the computer,I just wondered the reason for it.

robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...I'll say it.....is that the hands free kit? You press the buttons with your nose!?

I'll get my coat. Embarassed
garethcoulson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude what is going on with the bike ?

You have a mirror and a very colourfull bell combo going on there.

What is your Satmap elevated by, its in orbit !!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the backlight on the active10 at minimum and see if the cycle computer works, if not turn it to 100% and try again, sometimes the backlight inverter can create interference that will knock out other electronic devices in close proximity, if thats your winter bike its very decent machine Wink - Mike
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike will give it a try.Like I said it is not crucial I was just interested to know what would be causing it in a GPS.

The Active10 is fitted to a Minoura Space Bar as what with the bar bag fittings,computer and light bracket the bars got a bit crowded.

Makes it easier to see being up higher though.

Ian
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:

Makes it easier to see being up higher though.
Ian

I thought mine looked stupidly high just on it's bike mount attached to the handlebars.
Shocked Laughing
garethcoulson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you loose 10 mph with the drag from that wind breaker ?
cyclekarl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Satmap & Bike Computer Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:
Used the Satmap on the bike for the first time today.Everything went well,the mount is as firm as a rock,even so I wound the neck strap around the bars in case it parted company but there was no real need.

The strange thing I noticed was that my wireless bike computer ( Shimano Flightdeck ) wouldn't work for speed and distance when the Satmap was switched on.Turned Satmap off,computer worked OK.Satmap on,no speed or mileage.

Now I have had this before with a wireless Flightdeck on the tandem which did the same when the front light,powered by a SON dynohub,was switched on the Flightdeck didn't work.I can see the logic in this case as the light pulses on and off very rapidly so presumably sets up some sort of magnetic field which interferes with the wireless signal.I am at a loss to really see how a GPS would emit a strong enough signal to interfere with the computer.I can't see it being the GPS signal as presumably they are there all the time receiver or no receiver.

As can be seen from the picture the Satmap is 2-3cm higher than the computer head and the fork sender can be seen as the black object on the front fork so it is not as if they are side by side or the Satmap is physically obstructing the signal.

It is no big deal as I can do without the computer,I just wondered the reason for it.

I just got my satmap today,but it doesn't fit the bike bracket,it's as if the bike bracket is made for a different device,so I guess I'll just have put it in my pocket when cycling.

Edit once to sort out the quote in the post - Mike Alder
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you swapped the ordinary Satmap battery cover for the one that fits the bike mount ?

It has a projection on the back of it to fit into the bike mount.

Ian
stevendunn99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Try the backlight on the active10 at minimum and see if the cycle computer works, if not turn it to 100% and try again, sometimes the backlight inverter can create interference that will knock out other electronic devices in close proximity

After a sw/fw upgrade sometime last year I had the same problem, ie cycle computer stopped working when Satmap on. Tried the above and it now works. First attempt of setting backlight to 30% and my cycle computer was fine.

Glad I pop by this forum from time to time. Thank you.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I used the Satmap and the Flightdeck Wireless computer last week on the tandem and both worked faultlessly together and they are only inches apart.

Must have been something in a recent software update that has cured the problem of interference.

Ian
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto here, Satmap and VDO wireless comp side by side, no probs.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: