Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie... Advice needed when creating New Route
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie... Advice needed when creating New Route

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gizzard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Newbie... Advice needed when creating New Route Reply with quote

Hi Guys, New to the Forum and new to the Satmap Active 10.
I'm having a problem when i create a route and the last part of that route re-traces it's steps, if that makes sense! For example; I've created a route that starts at Hope and does a ful 19 mile loop but the last 2 miles coming back into Hope is the same as when going out. When i lay the cursor over the yellow line it picks the original line up and wants to move it! All i want to do is to conclude the route.
I hope this makes sense and someone can elighten me please?

Many Thanks,

P.S Seems to be a fantastic unit, can't wait to use it!
manora
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem and the only way I've found around it is to zoom right in and place your last waypoint close to, but not on top of, the first waypoint.
You should be close enough to see your start point from there. Very Happy Very Happy
I have Map Memory and plan most of my routes that way. It doesn't happen with MM.
Peter
Gizzard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is when i come to part of the route that needs retracing, say the last 2 miles or so. When i put the cursor on the yellow line it 'grabs' the line as if i want to move it, which i don't i merely want to plan the route 'home' to the start. SUrely i'm doing something wrong and this isn't how it's meant to be?????
manora
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're doing something wrong, then I'm doing it as well!!
As I said I haven't found another way.

Peter
Gizzard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the case it's rubbish. I'll call Satmap in the morning.
I'll post something if i get an answer.
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie... Advice needed when creating New Route Reply with quote

Gizzard wrote:
...I'm having a problem when i create a route and the last part of that route re-traces it's steps, if that makes sense! For example; I've created a route that starts at Hope and does a ful 19 mile loop but the last 2 miles coming back into Hope is the same as when going out. When i lay the cursor over the yellow line it picks the original line up and wants to move it! All i want to do is to conclude the route.....

When you create the route lay the points you require to return to the finish alongside the route out but not touching. Make a note of the GR position that you want to move these final points to. Then -
Route Menu - Select Route - Edit - - Select edit waypoints - Edit - then in turn select the relevant waypoint - Edit - select edit location by grid - Edit - change location as required.

I hope you can understand me, t's not easy to explain - come back if you need clarification.
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizzard wrote:
If that's the case it's rubbish. I'll call Satmap in the morning.
I'll post something if i get an answer.

What's the problem with zooming in and plotting a route parallel to your original line? You'd end up with plotted route sections only a few meters apart.

It seems a quick fall from 'seems to be a fantastic unit, can't wait to use it' to 'it's rubbish'. And you've not even used it!

I suggest you return it because someone so eager to criticise without even trying it out may well never be satisfied.
Gizzard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonesbach, Thanks very much for the info. I knew there must be a solution to this.
Ocam, You've obviously never been told you to keep shtum unless you've got something good to say... What i was saying is that if you had to zoom in and place the waypoint by the side of an existing waypoint then this wouldn't be good. I've now found out that there is a way to rectify this. You say it isn't a problem as the waypoints would only be a few yards apart but what if i need to follow a a certain path that runs parallel (and a couple of metres apart) to another?
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what if i need to follow a a certain path that runs parallel (and a couple of metres apart) to another?

In this situation there is a really good bit of kit that can solve this problem.
It is between your ears and called a brain.

Really....how often do you think you will find youself "follow(ing) a certain path that runs parallel (and a couple of metres apart) to another?".

Roger
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cheered me up Rogerfrit!

Gizzard, there's nothing wrong with a decent question as per your original post. Jonesbach's laid out a good solution for you and I'm glad it seems to have helped. It's answers like that, that this forum is excellent for.
I would add that on your return home leg, you would clearly see on your unit which path you were on even if you were on the edge of a precipice, so while you have a neat solution, a rougher fix as I suggested would be perfectly usable.

Tell you what, though - your manners are a little ragged around the edges, mate.
marcelus54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Routes start and finish Reply with quote

Hi Gizzard, I plotted a simple route on the Hug,

http://maps.the-hug.net/index.php

I joined this up at the end to make a loop and uploaded it to my satmap, works OK.
marcelus54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Route's open and close Reply with quote

If you plot a route manually on Active 10 you can make a loop. If you plot the last waypoint on top of the first one it asks if you want to close the route. If you want to edit the route, i.e delete the last waypoint because you may wishe to change your approach to the original start, go to routes edit waypoints, choose the last waypoint and delete. Active 10 aske if you want to open route and you can then do what you want. I hope this makes sense.

Andy
Gizzard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger and Ocam, precisely what are you contributing to this thread?

Ocam, you stated in earlier post that i've was quick to dismiss the unit as 'rubbish'. What you did was misconstrued my 'rubbish' comment as being towards the unit when i was merely stating that if there wasn't a solution to my original issue then that would be 'rubbish', not the device itself. You're both obvioulsy the type of people who have nothing better to do on forums but to contribute nothing (or is it just this thread?)

Ocam, you say my manners are a little ragged, please read your first post on this thread. It sounds a little manner ragged to me and again says nothing of any benefit. likewise Roger

MArcelus54, Thanks for advice. I've managed to get around the issue now by following Jonesbachs advice. Thanks again Jonesbach.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizzard I don't think any of the replies in this thread that are attempting to 'assist' you justify your response.

It's all too easy to misconstrue the written word but can I ask that we moderate our replies and keep it friendly please.
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: