Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom 940 L map updates and expansion cards
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom 940 L map updates and expansion cards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lacy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Tomtom 940 L map updates and expansion cards Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have recently upgraded my One to a 940L and am very happy with it but I have a couple of questions.

1, Everytime I connect to Tomtom Live it tells me I need to update to a newer Western Europe map Version 660 at 904 MB however my device has the Western and Central Europe map installed Version 810.1934 at 1769MB. So far, I have resisted updateing on the grounds that I thought I might lose the Central Europe map bit if I did....I assume this accounts for the 800 odd MB missing from the download map. Should I just continue to ignore it?. If so, is there a way to tell Tomtom Home that I'm not interested in this 'update'?

2, I would like to buy a micro SD expansion card. Is there a size limit to what the 940 can take or can I slip in an 8GB jobby?

Thanks all for your help.

Lacy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, when you created the account for your 940 did you use a unique e-mail address or one that perhaps you have used with a previous TomTom device - re-using the same e-mail address can cause all sorts of issues as I recently found out Embarassed

It doesn't need to be an actual usable e-mail address, as long as it is in the e-mail address format the device will accept it! - I used TT940@blueyonder.co.uk earlier today to get my 940 running again, thisnk of the e-mail address more as a username that has to be in an e-mail format for the device to accept Wink .

You will probably need to get TomTom to reset your devices account to enter a new "e-mail" address, they can be contacted using the number 0845 161 0009 the latest map for your device is v815.2003 so something isn't quite right, but they should be able to resolve the issue for you.

As for storage card capacity the device will work with anything up to and including 32GB (if you can find/ afford one) - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a new owner, you are entitled to ONE free update to the latest map.
TomTom Home is supposed to deal with this, but it hides it quite well.

Instead of looking at the box at the top right (if there is one) or what it tells you when you select "Update my Go", try looking at the top in the Tools Menu. That's where they hide the "Latest Map Guarantee".

Select it there and see what it offers you.

It should offer you v815.2003 Western and Central Europe.
However, DON'T agree to it just yet, as a new map version is expected in the next week or two. You have 30 days from when you bought it to claim the free map.
Lacy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the swift response.....

I'll give it a go.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a 940 I would expect both the Western & Central Europe map AND the Northern America map using the LMG option - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... I should have mentioned that!
In order to be offered the NA map,, you may need to switch to that map.
Even then it sometimes fails to offer it, in which case a call to TT customer services is needed to get it sorted.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: