Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap - Faulty on delivery?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap - Faulty on delivery?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Same thing Reply with quote

mooza wrote:
Hi Dave

I've had exactly the same experience as you. Similar sorts of lock times. I returned it to the seller for a refund, but they're playing silly insisting there's no problem with it. I contacted Satmap who sent me a response of the "wow that sounds really strange" kind, and tried to suggest I was holding it wrong, when the web seems to be full of complaints like this. They obviously know there's a problem with the device.

Let us know how you get on with the replaced device.

Hi,

I was going to ask for a refund or replacement but decided that it was worth contacting Satmap themselves and ask for an opinion. You will see from the response I got from Satmap that this is a common problem affecting 2 in 50 units. It also says in the documentation somewhere to contact them if the unit takes more than 2-3 minutes to lock.

The unit has now been returned to Satmap with a letter basically saying that I reserve the right to reject the unit if it does not lock within 2-3 minutes on return.

I rang them this morning and they say they are currently working on the unit. I could have of course demanded a brand new replacement but I would rather have a unit which has been personally tested and "tuned" by Satmap themselves.

Satmap appear to be very helpful in sorting out problems but the real test will be how well the unit performs on return.

Dave
mikehay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar problems with mine. I contacted Satmap and they said it sounded like the antenna needed retuning. They gave me a freepost address and I received the repaired unit back in about a week. They changed the case and screen for me as well and the unit now appears to work fine, although I need to verify it again tomorrow on a walk.

Here's hoping. Their support seems good to me so far.

Mike
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Satmap Active 10 has been returned and now locks on in between 75 and 90 seconds in the middle of my field. This is from first press of the power button so includes the splash screen and map loading times. Once locked I have 5 or 6 locked from anywhere in my house. This is an order better than before when it was taking about 20 minutes to achieve lock and lost lock in some places in my home.

The returned Satmap was accompanied by a personal letter from Richard Calthrop-Owen the MD of Satmap. In it he said "The problem lay in a simple misalignment of the antenna and this has now been retuned".

One could argue that Satmap need to improve their final testing but it is difficult to fault their service.
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just noticed another possible fault on my Satmap. The sound effects are almost inaudible on my unit.

It could be my hearing though as I am well past the first flush of youth!
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_the_Hiker wrote:
I have just noticed another possible fault on my Satmap. The sound effects are almost inaudible on my unit.

It could be my hearing though as I am well past the first flush of youth!

This has always been an issue. The volume is low and the frequency is high and for those of us reaching our sell by date almost inaudible. I wouldn't chuck it out, I have the same problem with the alarm on my fridge.
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read with interest the post by Dave_the_hiker and thought well if Satmap can manage to get his working even better its worth a try and I contacted them. My unit was taking between 5 to 10 minutes to lock. I emailed Satmap and got an immediate answer to send it back.

I used the free postage sticker and returned it. After 4 days I have received it back. They had replaced the screen even though mine looked perfect to me, not complaining though. The report states Grounding plane mod, anyone like to explain that, and tested to required standard.

Just tried it and first time locked on in 2 minutes! Very happy with that.

I dont care what anyone else says, the service from Satmap is excellent absolutely second to none!! Other companies should take note.

By the way what sound effects? Apart from a slight beep when it finds a map I didnt know it had any.

John
goon525
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my new unit last week. Everything seems to work fine (fingers firmly crossed). First lock took two minutes, and subsequent locks seem to take about the same. This is bearable, though one wonders why it takes so long after it's seen say six satellites. Like everyone else, wouldn'y know it had sound. Can one adjust speaker volume somehow?
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

As I understand it the Ground Plane is the flat sheet of metal the "patch" antenna sits on. Generally the larger the ground plane the better the reception. The "patch" antenna and its ground plane are easily detuned by other objects in the vicinity and I assume that is why some sort of modification or "retuning" is required.

The Satmap does have sound effects. The problem is that no one can hear them! The unit beeps when it locks and when you are following a route. It can be set to beep up to 10 times but is still inaudable.

Since mine was "retuned" by Satmap it almost always locks in under two minutes. I think the reason it takes longer than Garmin units is that it effectively does a cold start everytime and quite a lot of data needs to be downloaded from the satellites.

Dave
SatMap Active 10 - 1:50K maps
Garmin Vista HCx - Topo GB II, City Navigator Europe.
HTC Artemis - Memory Map, Tomtom 6
TomTom 520 - 8.320 firmware 815 maps.
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine beeps. I can hear it, but it's quiet and high pitched so probably not audible by everyone. Ears become less sensitive to higher pitches with advancing age. I'm in me 40s. I wonder if a firmware update can address the issue??????? Even though I can hear it (just) it would be more useful if louder.
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

satmapian wrote:
Mine beeps. I can hear it, but it's quiet and high pitched so probably not audible by everyone. Ears become less sensitive to higher pitches with advancing age. I'm in me 40s. I wonder if a firmware update can address the issue??????? Even though I can hear it (just) it would be more useful if louder.

I'm glad you added that you can "just" hear it. I can just hear it on a still day or indoors. It's pretty much useless if you are are in the Great British outdoors. I was beginning to think that I needed to be measured for an ear trumpet!
SatMap Active 10 - 1:50K maps
Garmin Vista HCx - Topo GB II, City Navigator Europe.
HTC Artemis - Memory Map, Tomtom 6
TomTom 520 - 8.320 firmware 815 maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: