Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Adding Maps to Tom tom one
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding Maps to Tom tom one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liggo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Adding Maps to Tom tom one Reply with quote

Hi I have the Tom Tom One with GB Maps and would like to add the maps for R Ireland, is this possible. My son in law has them on his Tom Tom, is it possible to copy them over. Question
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, maps are locked to the device so you cannot copy them from one device to another, if you want newer maps for your device then the UK & ROI map will have to be purchased - Mike
liggo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: re adding maps Reply with quote

Thanks I did wonder, they have you all ways. Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused.... I thought all GB maps for TomToms included the Republic of Ireland.

There is no individual GB or Ireland map available from TomTom's map shop webpage, they are always combined in to one map.

TeleAtlas' coverage of Southern Ireland has improved a lot over the years, so if you had a VERY old map it might only have the major roads in the Republic, but I'm pretty sure any map brought out since the ONE ranges were released would have pretty good coverage.

Have you tried zooming out on the "Browse map" screen, to see what you've got now, liggo?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road coverage in ROI was not very good until fairly recently, so even if the land mass is shown with a few major roads that is all the maps used to contain, recent maps have the usual level of street detail we have become accustomed to - Mike
liggo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: re adding maps Reply with quote

Mine has just maps for GB, not GB and R of I. Should be no problem but just thought I may be able to add them to mine. I know I of Man is not on, but you can't get lost there.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I thought maps produced since the ONE range came out would be OK.
But to stop all the guesswork, can you tap the screen where the signal strength bars are, and then tap the following screen in the small box where it says "Version"?

Please tell us the complete name and version number of the map listed on the next page.

If you do end up deciding to buy a new UK and Ireland map, they are about £40.
liggo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: re Added maps Reply with quote

It has Version 5.420 no mention of what maps etc. I did a browse maps and it looks like I have NI but not ROI. Just found the page you mean it says Map GB v 605
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB v605 is very out of date when you are looking at ROI data, an update to your device to both the software and maps will be required to get the latest versions and some decent mapping of the area you want.

Applications are free, maps cost money though £40 isn't too much and you will notice a vast difference to the display whilst in the UK as quite a number of major roads and motorways have altered since that map was released - Mike
liggo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: re adding maps Reply with quote

Thanks that is food for thought.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way liggo, it's no big deal, but for info a better place for questions like this is the "TomTom"TomTom Go/Rider/One" section, (this one is for discussions about the PGPSW Speed Camera Database).

You might find lots of other general tips there, too. Especially worth reading is the "TomTom FAQs" topic in the "stickies" at the top of the index list.
liggo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: re adding maps Reply with quote

OK,point taken, still finding my way around this site.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its easy to move a thread to the correct area (when you notice it is in the wrong one Embarassed ) Consider it moved! - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: