Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Issues with line out functionality - TT 530
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Issues with line out functionality - TT 530

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benjamino
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Issues with line out functionality - TT 530 Reply with quote

I have some issues with the line out functionality on the TT 530 - it seems partly finished really. Maybe because it's not a widely used feature. Anyway here is my email I sent to TomTom detailing the problems. Would be interested in any thoughts/work-arounds etc.

Quote:
I have connected my TomTom 530 to my car stereo via the line-out socket and am really impressed with the music playback quality. However, the quality of the spoken instructions sounds very bad, it sounds distinctly crackely, even compared to when it is played using the built in speaker. Is this a known issue? Can I expect it to be fixed in a future release of the software?

Also there seems to be no way to independently adjust the volume of the instructions compared to the mp3 playback. Therefore if I have the music up loud I get the instructions blasted out at full volume too! Any chance this might be fixed in a software update as well?

Thirdly, I was disappointed to discover that bluetooth calling isn't played out of the lineout socket! This was one of the reasons I got the device as I thought it would make a great way to get a fully integrated hands free solution for my car. Seems such a shame that it can't use the car speakers for the speech of the person I'm speaking to. Again is this something that might be fixed in an update?

So far I've been impressed with the device but these few apparent oversights are leaving me a bit disillusioned. Thanks for your time.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't alone in the disappointment with BT handsfree not being integrated into the line-out. As far as I can make out it was supported in earlier versions but has been removed by TT. As far as I can make out it's something to do with licence/usage issues between TT and the supplier of the handsfree h/w & s/w? I'm sure someone here will give us more details.

I've "fixed" the problem by buying a new car radio that has BT connectivity. I get phone hands free and TomTom spoken directions via BT and very good sound it is too! Also plays MP3s from a USB stick - so no need to connect my iPod to the TT unit.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in later versions you will find that routing the nav commands to anything external isn't possible either. They come out of the onboard speaker whatever the settings. And to be honest I much prefer this anyway with my setup. Because there is no way to do 'a mix' so to speak and set levels for different elements it's impossible not to scare yourself to death aproaching a junction.
Holux GPSslim
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Bluetooth and Line Out can be used for either/ both the Nav voice and music, only hands free audio using a phone call is the only sound that cannot be routed to anything other than the internal speaker.

A forum member did work out a hack to send the phone audio out via the line out but this was very quickly disabled by a TomTom software update!

Your line out connection could be suffering from "Ground Loop interference" and it is possible to stop this by fitting a "Ground Loop Isolator" between the TomTom and the car deck. These don't cost a great deal and work very well - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a long standing gripe that TT have "cheated" somewhere to make the TTS voices louder in software, and it makes them distorted compared to the real voices (more so than you would expect from them being electronically generated). Try a "real" voice to see if that sounds distinctly better, just out of interest.

You won't get anywhere with your request for handsfree audio over the line out, but keep badgering them about the relative volumes, what I would like to see (and have tried suggesting to them more then once) is a "volumes page", something like this:

(just a mock up, before you all get excited!)

Having said all that, if it is REALLY bad, it might just be a faulty unit. I had a 940 where the audio broke up really badly and it turned out to be a hardware fault on the motherboard.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P, you and I keep meeting over this subject don't we! The above image sticks in my mind everytime I fiddle with the audio settings in Tom Tom notably as a wonderfully presented 'wish list'. The irony is that in days gone by you had channel gain and a master on most things luxurious or just a VOL knob on vanilla products. With modern software you seem to end up with too many 'amps' in line with each programme adding another control to daisy chain with the others and make good audio more and more difficult. Then along come Tom Tom and give us the 'one size fits all' VOLUME slider! :-) Bless them. Great navigation, cr*p at mixing a band!

J
Holux GPSslim
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I keep banging on about it, in the hope that if a few other people think "that's a good idea" and suggest it to TT themselves, then TT might finally decide its a good idea too!

It got really annoying for me, that I'd created a whole load of Camera warning voices, which matched the level of the "real" navigation voices really well.

But if you switched to a TTS voice it was quite a lot louder (and distorted, but that's another story), so if you turned the master volume down to a comfortable level for the navigation instructions, the camera warnings are just a bit too quiet.
And because they are recorded to maximum digital level, there's not a damn thing you can do about it. (Well a bit of judicious compression/limiting helps a bit, but it would be so much better if you could just tweak the levels properly).
benjamino
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Speech Volume Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. I have tried it with a recorded voice and it sounds perfect. Even it high volumes it still sounds fine on the speakers. Certainly fine at any volume I would use if I have passengers. So think I'll stick to the recorded voice for now. If I miss it reading out street names I'll switch back. So yeah I agree it sounds like its distorting because they have set the levels too high for the TTS. Lets hope they fix it soon! Also really really hope they can sort out the bluetooth over line out too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: