Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Loading Geocaches
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading Geocaches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manora
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Loading Geocaches Reply with quote

I'm new to the forum so please be gentle.
I have worked out how to load caches from Geocaching.com using GSAK however I can't get more than the basic details to display on my Satmap.

Is is possible to get the description and additional hints to appear?

I've tried a few things but mostly it seems to result in "not valid gpx file"
I suspect it may be a limitation in the way POI are handled and displayed.
Peter
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware the only data you can currently save in a POI file is
Position
Elevation
Warning required?
Proximity Radius
Visible?
Title
Text
Going by the exported file the only data you can import is
Position
Elevation
Title
Text

The other settings must be edited on the machine or by copying out and editing the MAP file. Text will be your description. If this is not copying over there is some problem with the gpx file you are trying to import.

Could you send me a copy of your gpx file in a PM and I'll have a look at it. If you can't send by PM let me know and I'll send you my email address.
manora
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonesbach

PM sent, many thanks

Peter
daveweth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm also new here, but have been lurking for a while. I have been Geocaching with my Active 10 for about 7 months now. Great piece of kit.

Up to now I have been using a Palm PDA running Cachemate along with the Active 10 to cache, entering the waypoints in manually.

But this afternoon I've been looking into getting all the GSAK info into the waypoint info on the Active 10. I can get the basic details but, as you've found no long descriptions or logs.

It seems to be a case of adjusting the info in the GSAK .gpx file to one that can be fully converted to a Satmap .map file, also allowing for various limitations in the Active 10. Probably possible using a macro to adjust the .gpx file exported from GSAK, but I've no idea now to go about it.

Looking around the GSAK forums, and also some recent posts here it seems Gibbo10 may be on the case.

Hopefully there may be an answer soon. Please!!
marcelus54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Loading cache details from Geocaching.Com Reply with quote

Firstly you will need to be a premium member of Geocaching. Com.
This will enable you to download GPX Cache files and export them from GSAK to your Active 10. I have been in contact with Gibbo10 and he has explained all. I now enjoy paperless caching with all details.

Andy
manora
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcelus54

If you have a gpx file from geocaching.com, why do you have to go though GSAK ?
I would have thought that satsynch would convert and import the file as supplied by Geocaching.com as is.
I've just upgraded to Premium and done a Pocket Query but I am still waiting for the server to run it

Peter
daveweth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I download several hundred waypoints in a PQ, I then filter the caches I want for a days caching in GSAK, and then export the selected waypoints from GSAK to my Satmap.
manora
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does doing it that way show all the the cache details including additional info and hints etc ?

I have just had a look at the resulting .map file in notepad it's clear that the additional info is being stripped out by Satsynch during the conversion.
I'm now stuck, short of editing the .map file to add the info, time consuming and a bit pointless.
daveweth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly where I am at the moment. I adjust the info in Notepad before loading it via Satsync.

It should be possible to adjust the info via a macro in GSAK, then export a file that will have all the info in the right format for the Active10, But I have no idea where to start at present.

As I mentioned in my earlier post it looks as though Gibbo10 is working on a macro to do just this.

Hopefully there is an answer near at hand.
marcelus54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: GPX Files Reply with quote

Hi Manora,

GSAK can be manipulated to produce a custom GPX file. This is then uploaded to Satsync and loaded onto your Active 10.

However it is not quite that straight forward. You will need to save a custom Macro on your PC C drive and change some of the settings on the export page of GSAK.

This will allow you to pick the data which will eventually show on your active 10. I personally have 4 different settings which I use to export GPX files from GSAK and these cover all data options.

I am not good at explaining the way the script works, but to start with you need to load at least 2 files.

I am sure that if you were to contact Gibbo10 he will be better at helping you than me. It is he who worked all this out and I am eternally grateful to him for his help.

Andy
Activator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using my active 10 for a couple of months for Geocaching by simply adding the co-ords of the cache as the go to point. I then follow the map until I reach the point where the flag is. Does anyone else use this method or is there a better way?
However, I have just upgraded my membership to premium member of Geoching.com in the belief that I would be able to download the .gpx file and place it straight onto the satmap. I presume by what is being said on here it is not quite that simple (having tried it and failed miserabely).
I am not the most technically minded of people and some of the above posts went straight over my head. Can somebody give me the easiest way to get the files on to my satmap in laymans terms or point me in the right direction Wink
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Activator, Have you had a read of This Thread where a couple of ways to achieve what you are trying to do are mentioned - Mike
Activator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike, I will give that a try.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manora wrote:
marcelus54

If you have a gpx file from geocaching.com, why do you have to go though GSAK ?
I would have thought that satsynch would convert and import the file as supplied by Geocaching.com as is.
I've just upgraded to Premium and done a Pocket Query but I am still waiting for the server to run it

Peter

The reason is that satmap software for POI (waypoint) files is very basic - I'm told a full upgrade of SATSYNC is being worked on a present which will make things more sophisticated. Satmap only pics up information contained between the "desc" and "/desc" tags. A gpx file that comes from a pocket query only contains the cache name in between these tags and nothing else and therefore satysync strips everything else out of the file.

Therefore I've created a macro that we can run with GSAK software which inserts relevant cache information in between the desc and /desc tags and creates a new GPX file. In fact what it does is create a whole POI category containing all the caches. PM me with your email address and I will send you the macro and installation instructions.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Activator wrote:
I have been using my active 10 for a couple of months for Geocaching by simply adding the co-ords of the cache as the go to point. I then follow the map until I reach the point where the flag is. Does anyone else use this method or is there a better way?
However, I have just upgraded my membership to premium member of Geoching.com in the belief that I would be able to download the .gpx file and place it straight onto the satmap. I presume by what is being said on here it is not quite that simple (having tried it and failed miserabely).
I am not the most technically minded of people and some of the above posts went straight over my head. Can somebody give me the easiest way to get the files on to my satmap in laymans terms or point me in the right direction Wink
Using GSAK software along side pocket queries will give you the best result - you will be able to upload 150 caches in a couple of minutes - PM me with your email address and I'll send you instructions as well

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: