Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Internal memory
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Internal memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grumpytyke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Internal memory Reply with quote

Hi
Anybody know how much usable internal memory in sat map. i.e. after operating system and any kind of "in use buffer".Should this be used as just temporary storage and SD map card for anything long term. Would be good to work out storage space available. For example your going walking for a week in a couple of months so you plan about 10 walks (wet/dry/hard/easy/pub Very Happy ) but want to have space to save the 4 or 5 you actualy do as well. You can see whats left on the SD card and with a bit of planning work out how many planned/done routes will fit. Idea Also anybody tried removing map card and saving to blank SD card?

TIA GT
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Satmap this question and just got the answer "loads". No actual figure. I'm surprised that there isn't an indicator of internal memory used as this is seen on even the most simple PDA's I've seen.
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a test I copied a 4MB file to the internal memory. It copied without problems. As each route is only a few KBs it appears the internal memory can store 1000s of routes. i.e. effectively unlimited.
And Yes you can save routes to a blank SD card.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave can you delete the 4Mb file? I note from another thread that files over 1Mb appear to be irremovable? Or do you know otherwise?
Satsync 1.525
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
Dave can you delete the 4Mb file? I note from another thread that files over 1Mb appear to be irremovable? Or do you know otherwise?

I've been looking through old routes where I've dumped the Satmap memory to disk. I have an internal GPX that is 1.08MB, but the associated MAP file was only 111KB. Both files had deleted with no problems. My guess, as someone said in the other thread, is that this issue only applies to MAP files so providing the test file did not have a MAP extension there would be no problem.

I hope Satmap will find another way to test before deletion as I know of people who plan to use the Satmap on our main walking event, changing batteries as required. The final size of the MAP file will be pushing towards 1MB unless they split the walk into sections.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
After speaking to Satmap today I got the distinct impression that the reason I couldn't delete it was because it was a POI file. They said that Satmap is really configured for route files.
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:

Yes - It deleted without problems. As others have said it appears that only .map files have protection.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought POIs were a .map file
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
I thought POIs were a .map file

Should have said "Only .map files over a certain size".

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: