Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom940 - Connecting to Live services
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom940 - Connecting to Live services

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bordersrugbyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: TomTom940 - Connecting to Live services Reply with quote

Having bought this unit I'm unable to get it to connect to the live services. At first getting error 2031 then connected the unit to a new e-mail.

Although the network is connected it says that it can't connect to the server. I'm logged in as anonymous and have reset factory settings on many occasions.
The Sim has 44 in the number so UK - don't know what else to do.

Can anyone help?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, if this is a new device consider returning it to the shop for a straight replacement, otherwise give TT CS a ring on Monday morning to see what they can do 0845 161 0009 - Mike
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you are in an area where you can get vodaphone mobile reception ie more than two bars?
ccarmock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you at any time try to enter a login ID/password onto the device? if so that is the problem - TomTom need to make this clear in the instructions, that for the trial period you can't do that. Once you do it then seems to set a flag against your devices serial number ont he Tom Tom Servers that you do not have access.

I had the very same happen to me, as I had used a username.

If you call TomTom support to tell them that and that it needs to go to 2nd line support they will resolve it for you.

They did for me, but it took a few chases to get 2nd line to action it.

Since they did that though it's been 100% fine.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccarmock wrote:
did you at any time try to enter a login ID/password onto the device? if so that is the problem - TomTom need to make this clear in the instructions, that for the trial period you can't do that.

That is wrong, if you cannot enter a login ID and password and use them, you have a problem and this will persist when the trial is over.

The trial works with a username and password and you cannot use live service features such as buddies without them.
bordersrugbyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help....Yes I can get vodaphone mobile covereage so I will phone the support team on Monday - I'll let you know what the advise.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
ccarmock wrote:
did you at any time try to enter a login ID/password onto the device? if so that is the problem - TomTom need to make this clear in the instructions, that for the trial period you can't do that.

That is wrong, if you cannot enter a login ID and password and use them, you have a problem and this will persist when the trial is over.

The trial works with a username and password and you cannot use live service features such as buddies without them.

Not really....
If you are still using the free trial, then you need to leave it as "anonymous"; and even if you *have* bought a subscription, many people have found they still cannot use their login names.
If they want to use the Live Services while TomTom try to sort out the problem, then they will have to use the anonymous login and forget about "Buddies" for a while.
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
MrT wrote:
ccarmock wrote:

Not really....
If you are still using the free trial, then you need to leave it as "anonymous"; and even if you *have* bought a subscription, many people have found they still cannot use their login names.
If they want to use the Live Services while TomTom try to sort out the problem, then they will have to use the anonymous login and forget about "Buddies" for a while.

Not necessarily true. I have my username and password installed on my tomtom 540 and live services work fine for me. In fact the other day when I had to reset the tomtom live services wouldn't work again until i re-entered the username password.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going by what TomTom have told me (and others who've reported on the various forums).

All it proves is that TT have an ongoing problem with authorisation to use Live services.

THEIR solution, is to use the "anonymous" login if you are still on the trial, and want to use the services while they try to sort out the problems.

If it works for you, then great, it does for me too, but there are plenty of people here who are tearing there hair out because it doesn't for them.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said there is a problem if you cannot use your username and password. It may be possible to access anonymously which is a workaround to those who cannot access the service fully.

How do you use Buddies anonymously?

You should be able to use your username and password and to subscribe to the live services to extend the trial which for some will end in the next few weeks. What happens then to those who cannot fully log on?
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to admit that I am one of those for whom the free Live services will NOT work unless I have entered my log in details and password onto the unit.
I also recently did a 'Factory Reset' to try and cure another problem and upon booting up once again couldn't get any connection to the TT servers until after I had entered my details again.

I am approaching the end of my Free period with some trepidation since when I eventually have to subscribe it seems there may be further problems ahead. We shall see......

I still have doubts about HD traffic - my 540 took me up a lane in central London on Saturday that had obviously been closed for some time (and then tried to put me into the China Town car park through a solid wall i.e. "you have reached your destination" when in fact I still needed to make 2 further left turns 200 yds up the road Laughing Out Loud:
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:

How do you use Buddies anonymously?

Andy_P wrote:

falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell wrote:
I still have doubts about HD traffic - my 540 took me up a lane in central London on Saturday that had obviously been closed for some time (and then tried to put me into the China Town car park through a solid wall i.e. "you have reached your destination" when in fact I still needed to make 2 further left turns 200 yds up the road Laughing Out Loud

Doesn't sound like a HD traffic issue there, but more of a mapshare issue relating to roads not blocked off correctly. Did you block these roads off and send the corrections off via mapshare perussell?

iPhone 12
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Doesn't sound like a HD traffic issue there

yes, agree, my wording was somewhat imprecise Embarassed I was complaining about the fact the closed road wasn't reflected.

But I'm not convinced it's a mapshare issue either, it's TT's location of the POI that is incorrect. It suggests the entrance to the car park is straight off Charing Cross Road, about 100 yds north of Newport Court which is pedestrianised, where in fact there is no turn - just some shop front hoardings at the moment. The entrance to the car park is actually off Gerrard Place. Take a look on google maps and the car park access is quite clearly shown.

I just checked on Mapshare - there is nothing you can correct since there is no road there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: