Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - poi downloads
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

poi downloads
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jezstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Cheers to all Reply with quote

Hello richard345, MaFt just read the info again and see what you are saying I thought it was a case of no more than 20 categories not a case of including sub categories, cheers for every ones input and help it appears I will have to be patient and download ne category at a time once again cheers everyone Jez Stix

P.S after your input richard345 will have to download each category 3 times as i have the maps for Europe USA/Canada & New Zealand
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Cheers to all Reply with quote

jezstix wrote:

P.S after your input richard345 will have to download each category 3 times as i have the maps for Europe USA/Canada & New Zealand

I think it would be safer and more accurate that way.

There have been a number of posts in the past regarding the actual number on POI categories that PNDs of various manufacturer.

With TomTom, I believe you are limited to around 210 categories and if you have more, some are not shown on screen. Which ones are not shown appears to be random, so sometime one type of POI will not show, and then on another occasion, other categories will not show!
jezstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: richard345 Reply with quote

Cheers for the reply and info Jez
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will be less categories than 210. For TomTom v7 software it is usually 169 categories allowed.

I'm a bit confused when you said you wanted to put them all into one file (in your 22:41 post).
If you did that, they would all share the same icon on screen so you wouldn't have a clue what was going on.
The TomTom can only show ONE icon per POI category, so if you want one icon for petrol stations and one icon for post offices, that needs TWO category files, but if you want one icon for Shell petrol, one icon for BP Petrol, one icon for post offices - that's THREE POI files.

That is why there is the option to combine subcategories - some people will want all the petrol stations in one generic file, others may want them separate, or they may only want one brand.

However, if the choices available on the download page are too limited, once you have downloaded the files you need, there are programs like POIEdit (http://www.poiedit.com/) that can merge several files together, or split them up in various ways.
If you use it, you "open" the first file, then "append" the others and finally "save as..." with a new name.

But as always... if you do merge files, you will only have ONE icon on screen for all of them.
wotswot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Andy_P Reply with quote

jezstix wrote:
Running your own company will do this to you, if you want to get ahead in life. to follow will be the issues

give us a job??? on second thoughts perhaps not!!!!
i've only been a member of this forum for a short while... and if you ask nicely then the help you get is second to none!!! big al......

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: