Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - poi downloads
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

poi downloads
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jezstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: poi downloads Reply with quote

You are asking for people to add poi from other countries it might be an idea to get the down load section working first. I have been trying for some time to download what I would like in one file with no success. There is no excuse in today’s web development saying might not work with internet explorer 7 which I should think 98% of the population uses and has been out long enough for the bugs to have been fixed. I have paid the £ asked for your speed camera database hoping that this might also go to the problem solving needed with the barman.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you please explain exactly what is going wrong - you give very little information for anyone to even attempt to help you.

I can use either IE7 or Firefox and can download any amount of POI files from the database without any difficulty at all. In fact I have just replaced all my previously downloaded files with new ones in the last 10 minutes, including the latest Speed Cameras.

Where does it say that IE7 is the only supported browser?

As far as I know, it works with IE6, IE7, IE8(Beta), Safari, Opera and Firefox. I'm not sure about Google's new browser - I've forgotten what it's called right now.

Please help us to help you.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly know how to make friends and influence people don't you?

The fact that hundreds of others manage perfectly well (with or without IE) has never crossed your mind?

If you asked for help, you might get some.

...and by the way, the POIs here are FREE.
jezstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Andy_P Reply with quote

Running your own company will do this to you, if you want to get ahead in life. to follow will be the issues
jezstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: download issues are Reply with quote

Internet explorer 7 is being used. Combine subcategories into category file has been checked, show link has been checked. Result internet explorer cannot display this webpage. With no link in the top left hand corner. For those concerned with my attitude I do apologize.
Jez Stix

Accommodation {2009-01-20 : 2563}
ATM {2009-01-20 : 12459}
Attraction {2009-01-20 : 209}
Bank {2009-01-21 : 7049}
Builders Merchant {2009-01-13 : 1987}
Building Society {2009-01-14 : 567}
Community {2009-01-21 : 12105}
DIY & Home {2009-01-20 : 1479}
Entertainment {2009-01-21 : 926}
Food & Drink {2009-01-21 : 20002}
Fuel {2009-01-21 : 10192}
Healthcare {2009-01-14 : 1966}
Heritage Site {2009-01-18 : 1409}
Historical & Cultural {2009-01-11 : 63}
Landmark {2008-11-05 : 1863}
Motorcycle Dealership {2008-12-16 : 345}
Wi-Fi Hotspot {2009-01-16 : 9565}

these countries are not needed South Africa, Indonesia
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear with me and I will try these selections and respond shortly.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
these countries are not needed South Africa, Indonesia

Does this mean you are downloading for multiple countries? i.e. ALL except South Africa and Indonesia?

Have you tried just one country or one category at a time?

Did you try the Show Link option?

Whilst it's easy to put the blame on PGPSW for IE7 failing occassionally you must remember that not all browsers (IE7 included) conform to the same and agreed protocols. Also your 98% estimate is way too optimistic.
jezstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: PaulB2005 Reply with quote

Hello PaulB2005 ii I’m trying to download all the countries except South Africa & Indonesia as I go to Europe on my bike a lot and I’m off to Canada for 3 months snowboarding
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well selecting all those countries and categories results in the same for me. However selecting significantly less results in success.

Can i ask what sat nav you aim to put all these onto because if you do get all the files there maybe a limitation with your sat nav that would stop you using them all anyway?
jezstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: richard345 Reply with quote

cheers for looking
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jez, selecting the categories given for the UK only, I get the same error.I would think it is because you are trying to get more than the 20 categories as stated in the Notes shown after the Download button, particularly the first

'1. Internet Explorer 7 will sometimes fail to download a file with combined subcategories. The workaround is to either download individual subcategories, to reduce the number of subcategories to download, or to check the "Show Link" box.' and the third '

'3. Please Note: The option to combine categories is limited to a maximum of 20. Attempts to combine more than 20 will fail. If you need to do so, please download in batches of 20 categories and merge using a utility such as POI Edit.'

Try, as Paul suggests, downloading say, the Accommodation category first and then try a couple of additional ones. OK, it's a bit more work, but a few extra clicks shouldn't take that long, yes?
jezstix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: PaulB2005 Reply with quote

Hello PaulB2005 I will be putting these on TomTom navigator 7 running on HTC Touch HD. I prefere 1 file as its just more easy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a massive selection to download in one go!! there's nearly 85 thousand lines of data to pull from the database, format, convert to ov2 (assuming it's tomtom version?), zip up and send!

our poi download system pulls the data live from the database and, to be honest, that amount will be too much strain on the servers.

if you try narrowing down the selection and making say 10 smaller downloads rather than one huge one then performance will likely improve.

MaFt
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: PaulB2005 Reply with quote

jezstix wrote:
I will be putting these on TomTom navigator 7 running on HTC Touch HD.

You need to put the POI's into the individual map folders so your europe POIs go into the europe map folder and your canada POIs go into the Canada map folder. It's easier to manage if you separate the downloads into areas covered by each map.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: PaulB2005 Reply with quote

jezstix wrote:
Hello PaulB2005 I will be putting these on TomTom navigator 7 running on HTC Touch HD. I prefere 1 file as its just more easy

do all the various maps go in one folder in Navigator 7 on your Touch? I would have though you would need to put the particular country files in the Map folder for that country's map.

I only have the UK & ROI map on my 520 so there's no issue, but if I also had the USA map, I would expect to extract the US POIs to he US map folder.

I have never used Navigator, so someone else may advise otherwise.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: