Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom price increase?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom price increase?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Tomtom price increase? Reply with quote

Hi

Just noticed via some of the comparison tomtom shopping sites that the 940 which was available around the £325 mark last week are now closer to £375 also I was at Dixons in the airport 2 days ago and they were changing the instore price from £348 to £398 so it seems to have risen about £50

Are tomtom skint? Are they trying to make the 940 a premium product by pricing it higher? Is stock running low? Its rare for a gadget to rise in price once released its usually at its highest when its released then on a downward slope thereafter.

Just curious

Rich
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Xmas is over and many high street retailers didn't report the best sales recently. It's probably the retailers adjusting the prices.

I've been watching the online prices of several TT models and have only noticed the 540 price go down over the last month. For example a 940 Go Live at Handtec is under £340 inc VAT but not inc P&P....
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that TomTom trade in Euros and the Pound has done rather badly against the Euro over the past month or so.
mike007
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i noticed the price increases to ,all the stores put them up at the same time,i wa after a tom tom 1 v4 and that went up by 20 pound after christmas Mad .but after a quick search i clicked on tesco direct and got a new 1 v4 for under 100 pound Very Happy picked it up instore as well no delivery charge Very Happy
www.tesco.com
mike007
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just checked tesco site and the 940 is for sale at £342.54 Razz
you best order 1 quick before they put the price up Exclamation

price @20th january 2009
ratman633
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfords have also put up their prices, I paid £229 (Web price) for my 540 a couple of weeks ago. It's now showing £275.78 on the website. That's quite a price hike!!
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many electrical products have gone up because the UK Pound has become worthless against the Euro, and the US Dollar is not much better.

Blame Gordon Brown, not TomTom!
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike007 wrote:
just checked tesco site and the 940 is for sale at £342.54 Razz

I can see the 930T for that price but not the 940?

Has anybody had a price match (or even a response!) from Handtec - twice now I've asked them to match the price of the 940 with ocean wave mobiles price and I've not even had a response. I wouldn't even mind if it was no!!
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:

Blame Gordon Brown, not TomTom!

Blame the bl##dy banks!
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this market Tomtom needs to be very sensitive to pricing, punters will look at many price comparison sites that show pricing history and not many will be willing to pull an extra £50 of of their pocket for a product that was £50 less the week before!
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonypc100 wrote:
In this market Tomtom needs to be very sensitive to pricing, punters will look at many price comparison sites that show pricing history and not many will be willing to pull an extra £50 of of their pocket for a product that was £50 less the week before!

I agree, and where the products are flaky in the first place. I wouldn't pay the extra for a product that is struggling to justify the old price in the first place.
Talking TT720 with latest software here. If it was a TV or DVD player we would atke them back and get a refund, and walk away.

Times may be hard for the companies, they have been for customers for longer, and upping prices to compensate currency rates could well backfire big time.

After all, a satnav doesn't rate high on the 'must have' for general public.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the 940 was released TomTom's price was £449, it is now £440.92 so the official UK TT price has gone down in price and not up.

The 940 when released by TomTom which is a Dutch company that trades in Euros was €499.95 and still is. The pound has fallen substantially against the Euro meaning that the TomTom store UK price should have risen from its original but it has not.

The UK wholesalers will be paying TomTom the same amount in Euros for the units but they will need more Sterling to pay the same Euro price hence they will charge retailers more. The retailers will pass on the increase to end customers.

Some people are too quick to blame TomTom.

Also the collapse of Sterling against the Euro is not the banks fault, Euro banks did the same stupid things as UK banks so both should have fallen together. It is Gordon's handling of the recession by massive borrowing against UK currency reserves that caused the Sterling collapse against other currencies.
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not blaming tomtom, I am am saying that we are in recession and every company needs to be price sensitive. So that may mean tomtom adjusting the wholesale price to countries where a major price hike will occur due to exchange rates.

RRP is another matter as its very rarely charged on any gadgets, but the street price would rarely go up after launch, its always on a downward slipperly slope. Whether its mobiles, cameras, pdas, sat nav. laptops etc, I would struggle to find something with a £50 street price hike.

With very reasonable sat nav systems now from £50, you have to question if there is a market for a bells and whistles £449 system, I think tomtom is trying to hold onto days of old when no sat nav was less than £200.

Unless some new features are added that bring real value I think a sat nav ceiling of £299 for high end models is about right, but who knows maybe these 940's are flying off the shelves!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key with the 940 is that there is little real added value in features, other than the USA mapping data as well as Europe. If you want both countries, it is probably not bad value as you'll probably pay the difference in flights between them anyway. Most people won't get any extra value over the 740 though, so I suggest that is where the majority should be considering a purchase and price variations.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should do an 840 which has the 940 features but only European or USA maps, not both.

Most people are not going to use the same SatNav in Europe and America, so TomTom are just making people who want the additional features buy a map they don't need. In the UK I would think a large proportion of SatNavs never leave the country.

Perhaps TomTom should sell units, may be with just a basic map and you then subscribe to the maps you require. You could then choose whether you want the bells and whistles and the regions you are likely to use.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: