Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfreeze wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Haven't been on for a while, so thought i would add my update.

I have stuck with the v8.3 and the v710 Kate since when andy came up with the idea.
What seemed like a cure early on has slowly been getting worse. Both my 720 & 920 can have really bad cases of stuttering and then go back to been fine. I use them both evryday for deliveries, so they get a lot of use.

To me it almost seems like a cumulative effect, where the unit is somehow storing old routes or something in its memory until it seems to get full and then throw a wobbly.

Is there anything that it would store from day to day that would cause this?

I have also got into the habit now of doing the weekly GPS fix and then using the clear flash mem tool to try keep the rubbish on there to a minimum.

I have thought about trying the other f/w that Mike mentions but i keep holding out for a fix, rather than messing around with the units anymore.
Maybe one day TT will fix it Laughing

Yep - I agree TTS7 and 8.300 is not a permanent fix - it does eventually start stuttering.

I had no problems with 8.204 or 8.320 with TTS7 in regards to lag or stuttering - I have stayed with 8.320 as all the features work.

The fix from TT is well overdue - I reckon they have given up on a fix!

Andy
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is relevant.
In my 520 voices folder there ar a number of large files of type .chk 'recovered file fragments'. They are around 600kB
Checking my original backup they are there as well and were created in May 2007 which was over a year before I had my 520.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These files are the actual voice files, there is one for each of the normal (non Text To Speech) voices on the device, each one is different as they are in the format dataXX.chk there is also a coresponding dataXX.vif (The XX will be a number).
If you right click the dataXX.vif file in Windows Explorer and select Open With/ NotePad the country and name of the associated dataXX.chk file is for.

Do not delete these files and don't let windows try to repair them, they are not "recovered file fragments" they have no bearing on the stammering voice issue reported throughout this thread - Mike
RATOM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Update App 8.320, map latest Reply with quote

Hello again

as I wrote my first impressions after upgrading to app 8.320 and latest maps...

There is no problem, so far at least, in voices...no stuttering etc. However, the map refresh is definitely slow and navigation view seems to be suffering from lag on my 720.

best

RATOM
MichaelMann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: How long before a TT fix? Reply with quote

I tried v8.320 on my GO 520 and the stuttering and refresh rate were worse than v8.300 so I've reverted back.

I hope the staff in the TT user acceptance testing team didn't get an Xmas bonus.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How long before a TT fix? Reply with quote

MichaelMann wrote:
I tried v8.320 on my GO 520 and the stuttering and refresh rate were worse than v8.300 so I've reverted back.
Did you try changing the TTS voice file as well or just put the Navcore 8,320 on the unit on its own - Mike
MichaelMann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How long before a TT fix? Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
MichaelMann wrote:
Did you try changing the TTS voice file as well or just put the Navcore 8,320 on the unit on its own - Mike

Did the Navcore and TTS voice file. The stuttering was very bad, sometimes the was only the first word or nothing at all. With 8.300 the stuttering is only mild on my unit so I'll stick with it until TT pull their finger out and release a Navcore for the 520 that allows voice navigation with no stuttering, kind of useful on a SatNav. As they say on top gear "how hard can it be?"
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 720 with 8.3 was like that, you would get the first part of the first word, and every thing else would just skip. But when I loaded the 8.32 with the voices that mike had linked to it worked good. The only problem was when you touched the screen, to change settings etc, it would take a while to go the the screen you wanted.

Last edited by bullyterrier on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: How long before a TT fix? Reply with quote

MichaelMann wrote:
As they say on top gear "how hard can it be?"

Obviously harder then you'd think!

Part of the problem presumably is that, as evidenced from the next post....
Quote:
But when I loaded the 8.32 with the voices that mike had linked too it good.

....it doesn't affect everyone in the same way, so there seem to be many factors involved.
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullyterrier wrote:
mikealder wrote:
Can everyone who is messing around with the voice problem please check their POI settings, go the Change Preferences/ Show POI on Map and see what is selected - the 8,3 update seems to be enabling all custom POI files, this will cause problems for those with lots of custom POI on their device.
There is no problem having the POI files on the device, they don't need to be enabled to be useful, and if you didn't have them enabled prior to 8,3 you might be surprised to see they are all switched on - this affects both available memory and processor power - Mike

I updated my 720 on the 11th and I have the same problem with the voice. I have tried everything no POI files, disabled the compass, took off loads of info like arrival time, heading etc, and I still got the stuttering yesterday. Can anyone confirm if this loquendo file from the 530 that Scotch whisky kindly posted actually works?
I have contacted tomtom but as of yet no reply. I am really getting fed up with the tomtom, I cant believe the amount of problems with this thing and support is a joke as well. I wish I never switched from my navman.

navman Laughing Out Loud
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave the 720 another good go today with the 8.32 installed and it seems to be fine. It connects to home and I get the mapshare and quickfix updates no problem. It is back to as it was before the 83 fiasco (fingers crossed).
Thanks again for the links and simple install guide.
PicklesDad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both the stutter where there are gaps of silence within a word/sentence and also a breakup of the voice where audio is dropped.

Summary of my results for stutter:

8.320 - Voice stuttered
earlier "TT Work" version with V7 voice - Voice stopped stuttering
reverted to 8.320 and applied V7 voice - Voice still not stuttering

So for me V6 voices were the issue.

The audio dropping seems to be more random. On some trips I can get perfect speech and music, other times one or the other will be periodically dropped when directions are given. I notice that when any device first connects to the car stereo sound is always lost for a few seconds, so maybe this is something to do with BT and the stereo. I'll have to try a trip with both coming from the internal speaker and BT turned off.

BTW it's been in a draw for the last couple of months as it kept crashing every few minutes on earlier versions with map updates. I needed those due to heavy road construction in my area. I've run 8.320 for the last week and all has been well crash wise until the first one today, but at least it was once rather than every couple of minutes.

PD.
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps all tomtom users should organize a march to tomtom HQ and demonstrate, but with all the problems with our units we wouldn't find our way there!
keithu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've followed Mike's instructions to install navcore 8.320 and Kate V7 on my 720, but now I don't seem to get the option to use Kate. Comparing my current LoquendoTTS directory with a working one, the file layout appears to be rather different - shouldn't there be a Kate.vde file?

Any thoughts on what I could have done wrong? At the moment I'm trying Kate 6.something from an older backup but that's still stuttering.

Keith
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within the "Kate" sub folder should be the following five files:

Kate.16000.LTTS7CodecMsx.32800.10.bin
Kate.vde
KateGildedParalinguistics.16000.LTTS7CodecMsx.32800.10.bin
KateGildedPhrases.16000.LTTS7CodecMsx.32800.10.bin
KateTT.16000.LTTS7CodecMsx32800.10.bin

- Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 33 of 49

Jump to: