Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should I buy US maps for TTN6, go for Copilot?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I buy US maps for TTN6, go for Copilot?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Should I buy US maps for TTN6, go for Copilot? Reply with quote

Planning on going to the US later this year and would need to have maps for the US as I plan to do a lot of driving while there.

Currently running TTN6 on my PocketPC with the Western Europe maps. I could go ahead and but the North American maps for use with TTN6, or I could jump ship and go for a complete new Navigation package with more up to date maps for Europe as well as getting the US maps (as I like a lot of people are frustrated by the lack of support for the PocketPC platform from TomTom!).

I have had a brief look at Co-Pilot as an alternative. Any thoughts?
Becker MapPilot Integrated in Car
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at switching to a different software package with more up to date maps, the TTN6 package and its maps are now very outdated - Unless TomTom release the TTN7 as a retail package complete with new maps its not worth spending any money on it - Mike
MattB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I do sort of agree with you that I should not spend any more money on a nav system, that is very outdated for it's mapping. I worry that I will miss the functionality that TomTom offers, though I did originally start out with the Navman SmartST system prior to TomTom, so I have already coped with different packages.

Obviously if I moved to a new nav system, it would need to have Europe and also the option of adding US maps, which not all of them offer. So any recommendations?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a difficult question, Co-Pilot does offer USA and European mapping, nodoubt there will be a newer version out soon though so I would wait a while to see if it gets released.
McGuider runs great on the PDA but only currently offers European mapping.
Route 66 vs8 does cover Euro and USA but its not an application I would suggest you look at - I have it and it was a waste of £40 for just the UK, no custom POI support and features that used to be free on earlier versions are now charged for.
One I would have a look at is IGo although its far from cheap, and finding the maps you need might be an issue.
Also have you considered moving away from the PDA for car navigation as some of the factory refurbished TomTom units can be bought for under £50 with a 12 month warranty, you would need to add the USA mapping but at least it will all be up to date - Mike
MattB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I am loathe to move away from using a PDA for my GPS, as I have invested in Cradles, Battery Extenders and more to support it. Plus I use memory map for my walking activies (for which it is excellent).

So with my commitment to a PDA, I reckon you're right in that there are two main runners. CoPilot and iGo Navngo.
I have found that you can get US maps for the iGo platform, though it says that it doesn't have any POIs included, which seems strange to me when every other map going has around 2 million POIs included.
CoPilot 7 has been out for a year, so could be in line for an upgrade, so if that looked the better platform, I'd have to check what sort of support in upgrading has happened in the past.

I'll ask some questions on the relevant forums to see what their users think of the platforms.

Thanks for your help
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still running all N American maps on my TT6 and I haven't had a problem at all. I suppose it may depend on where you are as to any new roads etc. In November I was around Vancouver, Minneapolis, Los Angeles,(Orange County), New Orleans and Oklahoma, and only tripped up once with a new one way development...so I would say, go for it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: