Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom HD Traffic Website - Real Time With x40 units?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom HD Traffic Website - Real Time With x40 units?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the last couple of days the phantom M5 J2 problem has gone, and the HD traffic info is much improved. Has anyone else noticed this?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is definitely getting better but there are still one or two stuck roads such as the A12 "closed" near Bow.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came up the M4 into W London this morning and HD Traffic warned of 4 different hold ups. The data was pretty accurate though it was interesting to note that a 22 minute delay morphed into a 5 minute delay whilst I was in it but it correctly forecast where each jam started and finished
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first chance this morning to try out my new TT740 driving from Leeds to Oxfordshire, and what a chance - busiest morning of the year, hold ups all over the place.
Very impressed so far. I was cross checking my Live HD traffic with various other sources and first hand empirical observation, and it seems to work very well. So much so that for the first time ever I let TT come up with a diversion off the M1 which I obediently followed without even looking to see where it was taking me and with hindsight it was the right thing to do.

One question - does TT factor into the diversion route that it will be extra busy because of the diversion traffic itself.

Incidentally, as an aside, it was also my first chance to experience the latest TT software and one thing I particularly like is that now the speed display is readable when you are over the limit - I know, I know ..... However, there are legitimate reasons for wanting to be able to read this, e.g. when TT thinks a stretch of road is 50 when it is 70. Also, if one is just a little bit over then there is a safety issue of when you see a speed camera or police car of not braking dangerously because you do not know just what speed you are doing.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyD wrote:
One question - does TT factor into the diversion route that it will be extra busy because of the diversion traffic itself.

I don't think so, but then it would be hard to do as the diversion may be one junction ahead, or may go nowhere near (like you head through Wales instead of down the M6/M5). However, having watched a motorway closure, it was well aware of lots of A roads around the last junction being busy.

TonyD wrote:
Incidentally, as an aside, it was also my first chance to experience the latest TT software and one thing I particularly like is that now the speed display is readable when you are over the limit

Yes, I like that a lot too. Actually becomes useful again.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyD wrote:

It will not predict that the diversion route will be extra busy due to the first incident but if the diversion route is covered by the HD Traffic system it will know if it is currently busy and that will be taken into account in the recalculation.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've edited this to remove an accidental double posting due to a trackpad problem on my laptop. However, I can see no way of actually deleting my post - is that the case ?

Last edited by TonyD on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
limans75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first good run through central London with the 940 on Sunday and I am pleased to say in the whole I was very impressed. It even took me a shortcut I was never aware off before avoiding Parliment square! A route which the 930 never took me on.

I was traveling from West London to Basildon through central London. However I did have one major concern! I was 10 cars behind a serious accident on the A13 which closed the road of for hours. As the accident was just infront of me I didnt expect tomtom to show the accident but what concerns me is that it took 2 hours for the incident to show up on the HD Traffic. As I witnessed the accident and was constantly monitoring the updates I can say for with clarity that it took 2 hours to show this delay up.

The A13 is a major route in and out of London I would have expected this to show up within 30 mins or so, and not 2 hours.

With the exception of this glitch I would reccomened the 940 to anyone
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
TonyD wrote:

It will not predict that the diversion route will be extra busy due to the first incident but if the diversion route is covered by the HD Traffic system it will know if it is currently busy and that will be taken into account in the recalculation.

Yes, that will obviously happen, just wondering if there was any extra intelligence, but I guess not. It seems to me that HD Traffic must be a big enough (and profitable enough) operation to justify full time human beings applying some input into the system, and that's the sort of thing that could be done by a person. Also, some human input might eradicate some of the nonsense in these various traffic systems.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyD wrote:
I can see no way of actually deleting my post - is that the case ?

You're not missing anything... only the mods and admin can delete a post completely.
ziro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaz666 wrote:
Perhaps if some videos of HD Traffic blatantly not working should make their way to YouTube (shot by a passenger of course), perhaps Tom Tom would be a bit more prompt in improving the service.

I had a classic on the way out of Leeds, towards Bradford, last night.
Stuck in a jam, the other carriageway was free-flowing, but HD Traffic showed the Jam going in the opposite direction.

I've got a small digital video camera, I can see what I can sort out.

My commute is an hour and a half, so I won't do it continuously, i'll just record short snippets of relevance.

E.g. 10 minutes later, I have moved 0.5 miles and still nothing.
ziro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ziro wrote:
Jaz666 wrote:
Perhaps if some videos of HD Traffic blatantly not working should make their way to YouTube (shot by a passenger of course), perhaps Tom Tom would be a bit more prompt in improving the service.

I had a classic on the way out of Leeds, towards Bradford, last night.
Stuck in a jam, the other carriageway was free-flowing, but HD Traffic showed the Jam going in the opposite direction.

I've got a small digital video camera, I can see what I can sort out.

My commute is an hour and a half, so I won't do it continuously, i'll just record short snippets of relevance.

E.g. 10 minutes later, I have moved 0.5 miles and still nothing.

I kid you not, every single piece of queuing traffic was reported by HD Traffic this morning.

Honestly, There was not a minute I was stopped in queuing traffic without a TT alert. It even showed me traffic on roads it has never done so before. It has gone from showing -NO- (Yes, 0) reports in a morning, to showing every single little bit of traffic, overnight.

Call me cynical, but it is an amazing coincidence that it springs into life the day after I say I'm getting my camera out for some youtubage. I've posted my route on the forum before. I don't know.
tez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

is this on you TomTom GO lives

A5127 Road closed due to burst water main between Lichfield Road / Lynton Road Roundabout: Aston (junction with B4132) and Lichfield Road / Aston Hall Road (junction with B4137) in Northbound direction.

as I cannot see it on the HD web site and this road has been closed for over a week now and is a major road in to birmingham

thanks Terry
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road near me just closed due to an accident (A1081) and it appeared very quickly on HD but in the wrong place (at J22 M25 roundabout - right road but not right section) and about 5 mins later int the correct place (St Albans).
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ziro"][quote="ziro"]
Jaz666 wrote:

Call me cynical, but it is an amazing coincidence that it springs into life the day after I say I'm getting my camera out for some youtubage. I've posted my route on the forum before. I don't know.

I would be amazed with everything we know about how chronically TT the company is organised that they could have reacted so responsively.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: