Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Buying TT 730T all europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying TT 730T all europe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Buying TT 730T all europe Reply with quote

I have been dithering on a new SatNav purchase for eons and at last made up my mind to get the 730T all europe as it has nearly all the specs that I need. Next thing was to find a decent price. Watching Amazon over Christmas they had this one at around £206 so again I dithered wondering if the price would fall Confused (Recession and post Christmas etc.). Just made up my mind to deal yesterday morning and went on the 'net only to find the price had gone up. Crying or Very sad
Managed to find one on the Amazon site from a 3rd party dealer at £209 so bought it - this am his listing has been removed and his own web site shows prices have risen on his limited stock.
Moral: If you want it, buy it when you can, if you can afford it...

Why though are some prices going up - is the recession over Rolling Eyes
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am selling mine in the for sale/wanted column for £135 delivered. Although bought last May, it has the new V8.15 mapping, is in good condition and has an extra proper TT case.
If yours falls through and you are interested, give me a PM.
Doug
Smile
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
Am selling mine in the for sale/wanted column for £135 delivered. Although bought last May, it has the new V8.15 mapping, is in good condition and has an extra proper TT case.
If yours falls through and you are interested, give me a PM.
Doug
Smile

I hope it will not be necessary for my sake, but thanks for the offer. Did you pay a lot more for it last May? In other words, have I got a good deal at the moment - discounting your very reasonable price. Strange, you moving away from TT to Navman and I am doing the reverse Confused
Aldridge_Andy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee, we haven't spoken for ages since my posts on the Navman section, and the INC510 / 520.

I really hope you are pleased with your move to TomTom, for me it's just amazing having regular firmware updates, the map update service, and TomTom Home.

I don't know if it's weird of not, but I sometimes look at my little navigation gadget with pride. After Navman the TomTom is just superb.

TomTom Go 720.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it on here about three months ago, to be honest, but it was bought in May (have original receipt).
Was in Halfords yesterday and the 730T was £249 (reduced from £279). In Argos today, the price was £329!!!
So your price is not bad!
And someone at my work has just bought the machine anyway!!!!
Doug
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TotalPDA have some deals on at present - link takes you to their clearance page.

They are still showing stock for a TomTom refurbished 720 for less than £100. I bought one just before Christmas. Upgraded the sw to 8.3 and mapping to 815 for free and have a system that is very similar to the 730. Another £24 on e-bay got me the mini-USB RDS-TMC receiver - nice system. Lots of change from £200.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
TotalPDA have some deals on at present - link takes you to their clearance page.

They are still showing stock for a TomTom refurbished 720 for less than £100. I bought one just before Christmas. Upgraded the sw to 8.3 and mapping to 815 for free and have a system that is very similar to the 730. Another £24 on e-bay got me the mini-USB RDS-TMC receiver - nice system. Lots of change from £200.

Well done! Just shows that if you know the system, you can bank the ££££'s. I presume you have all of europe mapping - my priority was the Eastern european maps which have been difficult to get in the past, elsewhere. I hung on to my N20 in the hope that they would produce them but despite promises they have not materialised Crying or Very sad
Does the 720 or 730 come with a manual - if it is only on a CD, can you download it anywhere?

Last edited by Gee-Pee on Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you have to add the Central and Eastern Europe map to the device, a large SDHC card and the RDS-TMC Receiver you will still have change from £200 if go for one of these units from Totalpda, compare that to a 730T without the Eastern mapping coverage and it starts to make a lot more sense - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:

Well done! Just shows that if you know the system, you can bank the ££££'s. I presume you have all of europe mapping - my priority was the Eastern european maps which have been difficult to get in the past, elsewhere. I hung on to my N20 in the hope that they would produc them but despite promises they have not meterialised Crying or Very sad
Does the 720 or 730 come with a manual - if it is only on a CD, can you download it anywhere?

Well 'knowing the system' comprised reading a posting in this forum when I had made a decision to go for a new system. It literally was too good to pass over.

The 720 came with Western Europe/UK&I so the upgrade gave me the 815.2003 WE/UK&I mapping. If I ever find myself driving in Central Europe I'll consider it then.

Manual? You know - I can't remember! I looked at the on-line one to try to resolve the one issue I have with the device - not able to have hands-free conversation via the line-out so that I can't use the car system to hear it! It didn't directly answer it - but omission is usually telling - mikealder confirmed the non-operation. That's the one thing the old nuvi 660 did very well. I gather a previous firmware allowed this and in good TT fashion (I was a user of their original product that ran on a Psion5 (at least I believe it was them - must check!) and had Navigator on PDA from the beginning upto V6 including the excellent TTN V3) they seem to reduce good functionallity every now and then.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Even if you have to add the Central and Eastern Europe map to the device, a large SDHC card and the RDS-TMC Receiver you will still have change from £200 if go for one of these units from Totalpda, compare that to a 730T without the Eastern mapping coverage and it starts to make a lot more sense - Mike

Oh well, Mike, I thought I had done my homework and it would appear I am stuck with my decision now. Not a bad deal, I suppose if you discount the 720 deal. Now I am going to have to get to grips with an entirely new system (althought the mapping is the same source), so watch out for some pleas for help Confused Just have to wait for the package to turn up on the dooorstep. The after running the newbie with my old N20 for a bit to see that I am happy, see what I can get for it on Ebay (The N20 that is).

PS what size SDHC card would be recomended for this device Question
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldridge_Andy wrote:
Gee-Pee, we haven't spoken for ages since my posts on the Navman section, and the INC510 / 520.

I really hope you are pleased with your move to TomTom, for me it's just amazing having regular firmware updates, the map update service, and TomTom Home.

I don't know if it's weird of not, but I sometimes look at my little navigation gadget with pride. After Navman the TomTom is just superb.

Hi Andy
In fact the Navman forum seems to have dried up in recent months. Don't know if that is because there are no errors, faults or problems occuring on Navman devices Mad but I suspect that is not the reason.
Glad to hear you are more more than happy with your TomTom - I hope I have the same experience.
Bet the iCN's are still going strong though....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:

Yes it comes with a printed manual (well the x20 models do anyway). It is also on a CD in the box and they can all be downloaded from the TT website. Click on "support" and on the right side of the page is a box called Downloads that says
Quote:
Looking for free software updates, manuals or installation guides? Check out our download centre.

That takes you to THIS PAGE where you can get manuals for all the current and previous models.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, now I can have a good read and do some learning.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a button on HOME that provides a link to TTs Manual webpage
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
mikealder wrote:

Oh well, Mike, I thought I had done my homework and it would appear I am stuck with my decision now. Not a bad deal, I suppose if you discount the 720 deal. Now I am going to have to get to grips with an entirely new system (althought the mapping is the same source), so watch out for some pleas for help Confused Just have to wait for the package to turn up on the dooorstep. The after running the newbie with my old N20 for a bit to see that I am happy, see what I can get for it on Ebay (The N20 that is).

PS what size SDHC card would be recomended for this device Question

Well, that was quick!! Package arrived today (ordered on 6th with eta 10th). Have torn packet apart and opened everything and have read both the QS guide and the limited manual and have downloaded the full manual (bed time reading).
So, first question: In noting that there have been problems in updating the software/maps, what is the recommendation (current version says "App 8.002 (9117/80328) OS: 16445 Maps West & Cent Europe v800.1762)"
Do I upgrade?

Any other immediate recommendations? Thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: