Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 730 ; 'switch to night view when dark' not working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 730 ; 'switch to night view when dark' not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Go 730 ; 'switch to night view when dark' not working Reply with quote

Is this a TomTom bug?

If I tick the box that says 'switch to night view when dark' the display instantly enters night screen mode, whatever the daylight present.
Can someone explain that feature please? It doesnt seem to be working.

The Navman uses the time and the time the sun sets and rises I believe. If the TomTom has a sensor, it doesnt appear to be very good.

many thanks,
Tc
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im begining to think Ive got a faulty sensor on my TomTom.
If so Ive got to consider if its worth sending it back.

Tc
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before you do, can you try a pin reset first and if that doesn't help, dl and run the Clear Flash tool found here
clockworks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem with my 510 several times. Hard reset (switch on whilst pressing the reset button) fixed it.
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking I had the same issue on my 730.

However.....

It seems to like it very light before switching to day view. I found that starting it in the car on a dull day was fine, it stayed on day view. If however I started it indoors, and it started in night view, it needed a lot more light to switch to day view.

I've been happily driving along in sunny conditions, albeit wintry sunshine, in night view, for it then to suddenly switch to day view.

It doesn't bother me too much. Try turning it on in car and see if that helps it stay in day mode.

Bloater
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just disable the auto switch for day/ night (Change Preferences/ Brightness Preferences) and deselect both check boxes.

Next put a short cut for this function in the shortcut menu (Change Preferences/ Quick Menu Preferences and select the "Switch day/ night view") this way a very simple access to the manual selection is given to the user.

I am not too sure if its the low angle of the sun at this time of year making it more difficult for the device to auto switch, but I find the manual selection far less distracting than a unit changing between colour schemes and backlight levels, at least I have control of what the device is doing - Mike
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Just disable the auto switch for day/ night (Change Preferences/ Brightness Preferences) and deselect both check boxes.

Next put a short cut for this function in the shortcut menu (Change Preferences/ Quick Menu Preferences and select the "Switch day/ night view") this way a very simple access to the manual selection is given to the user.

I am not too sure if its the low angle of the sun at this time of year making it more difficult for the device to auto switch, but I find the manual selection far less distracting than a unit changing between colour schemes and backlight levels, at least I have control of what the device is doing - Mike

thanks. I had previously done that. Its just annoying that apparently it has a feature that doesnt work. Why dont TomTom use the method used by Garmin and Navman, do it by time (sunset and sunrise)?

Im a bit reluctant to run that 'clear flash tool'. I have no other problems. Could this sensor issue be really down to the flash thing?

Tc
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'clear flash' tool is benign in that no settings are lost. It's geared specifically for instances where user settings don't 'take'.
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had problems with this for years on 910, 930 and my new 940. The best fix I have found it to deselect both options, re-boot and then re-select the options. All done whilie it is away from the active mount.
Map: Europe v920.5244 (11/2013)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: