Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Activate LIVE services
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Activate LIVE services
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beashley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike I bought it after they emailed with me a special offer, after I had renewed my 910 Live subscription, so bought from TomTom direct shipped from Netherlands.

The SIM has a 44 code[/quote]
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your SIM code is correct for the UK so thats not the issue here, it is time TomTom got to grips with this issue though as your not the only individual with Live services that don't work - Mike
beashley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Your SIM code is correct for the UK so thats not the issue here, it is time TomTom got to grips with this issue though as your not the only individual with Live services that don't work - Mike

Cheers Mike I have sent them every bit of info they requested. One suggestion by their support was that the 940's flash memory needed clearing by using the Clear Flash Memory Tool.

Instructions state that by running this tool may mean the loss of the maps and a product code needs to be entered. As there are NO product codes either for the maps or the 940 I asked for confirmation before trying this drastic step, so far no reply
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have a full backup of the device using Windows Explorer rather than the TomTom Home package you will be able to resurrect the device if any codes go AWOL.

What does the device do if you perform a Restore factory defaults, do not enter your e-mail adress or connect it to TomTom Home, simply switch it on and see if any of the Live services will work, it should show a user name of annonymous when you have done this - Mike
beashley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
As long as you have a full backup of the device using Windows Explorer rather than the TomTom Home package you will be able to resurrect the device if any codes go AWOL.

What does the device do if you perform a Restore factory defaults, do not enter your e-mail adress or connect it to TomTom Home, simply switch it on and see if any of the Live services will work, it should show a user name of annonymous when you have done this - Mike

This was one of the first 'cures' that I tried, what happens is a Traffic side bar appears on the R.H. side the screen is grey and waiting for a GPS signal within 10-15 seconds and before a signal is shown the sidebar disappears. On receipt of a signal the screen displays set colour but no anonymous user name.

The next problem is going through all the camera warning setup again ,very painful.

Do you know if it possible to copy the previous 'map directory' back to save this re-setting of camera warnings?

I do like the 940 it is more compact, a much better cradle, display, etc and I am sure in time they will manage to cure the problems a lot of purchasers have, the Team are probably trying their best but there are issues that need addressing fast instead of the constant 'try this' or 'try that'.

One good point regarding my further 1 year subscription to Live on my 910 as I had not downloaded it or 'broken the seal' as they call it I got a full refund. Thank you TomTom
beashley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Does the full backup save the contents of the flash memory and will it restore it ?
wazzzzupmate
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering buying a 540 on Monday. Should I try it out without connecting to the pc to check the live services first?
I will need to connect it to Home to update mapshare etc so will I be ok usinf the same home that I already have two devices using? My two current devices are on separate email addresses and I can use a third email address for the 540 (i have read somewhere that using the 540 with home that has another device linked to may not work)
Once I have updated the 540 with home (assuming it works) will the live services still work?
Sorry if this sounds confusing but reading up on the live services it seems to have a few problems.I am only buying it for the HD Traffic so if that doesn't work I will have wasted alot of cash.
beashley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wazzzzupmate wrote:
I am considering buying a 540 on Monday. Should I try it out without connecting to the pc to check the live services first?
I will need to connect it to Home to update mapshare etc so will I be ok usinf the same home that I already have two devices using? My two current devices are on separate email addresses and I can use a third email address for the 540 (i have read somewhere that using the 540 with home that has another device linked to may not work)
Once I have updated the 540 with home (assuming it works) will the live services still work?
Sorry if this sounds confusing but Reading up on the live services it seems to have a few problems.I am only buying it for the HD Traffic so if that doesn't work I will have wasted alot of cash.

As you can see from my postings I'm probably not the best person to give advise considering the problems I have encountered.

From replies sent to me by TomTom it seems you cannot have more than one device registered on any one account. They state you must open a new account for your 540. Follow the instructions to the letter and do not use Home at this time.

The website does say add another device a bit confusing. As for the maps I bought my 940 at the end of November 2008 and they do not seem very up to date in particular a large Roundabout built to the north of J11 on the M4 at Reading has been there for some five years but the 940 shows you crossing a large field.

Might I suggest you wait until all the problems have been resolved before purchasing.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure about the roundabout or is there yet another one there? I assumed you meant the roundabout where Basingstoke Road meets the Relief Road which appears on mine?
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wazzzzupmate wrote:
Sorry if this sounds confusing but reading up on the live services it seems to have a few problems.I am only buying it for the HD Traffic so if that doesn't work I will have wasted alot of cash.

IME the Live services work fine with Home updates and everything, so long as you don't enter your account info on the device itself. If you do that, then it stops working (or at least, it did for me). Doing the factory reset got it back to anonymous again. So go ahead it is safe to connect to Home and test.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beashley wrote:
mikealder wrote:

Does the full backup save the contents of the flash memory and will it restore it ?

Before this question gets lost... Yes it will, but it is an entirely manual process.
YOU decide what to backup - you select the TT's storage just like any other disk drive on your PC.

YOU decide where to store the backup(s) - I would create a new folder in My Documents called "TomTom Backups" and then save each backup in a separate folder in there named with the date and any other details you want to be reminded of (eg, 2009_01_05_v8.3_software).

and YOU decide where to restore the backup to - you just select the entire backup contents, copy them to the PC clipboard and then paste them to either the internal memory or to an SD card if your TomTom uses them.

Hope that helps.
beashley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Are you sure about the roundabout or is there yet another one there? I assumed you meant the roundabout where Basingstoke Road meets the Relief Road which appears on mine?

Ooops apology's here not being a local man. The Roundabout in question is when going westward from Lower Early Way to Whitley Wood Lane north of the Shinfield Road Crossing not J11.

A system printout shows my map as Western & Central Europe 810.1934 my 940 is in the garage at the moment.

Does your 940L work OK ?
Curious
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know whats going on, but I wrote a reply to another subject posting, then when I hit submit my reply ended up on the wrong subject posting. so I have deleted it and kindly ask a mod to delete this please
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beashley wrote:

Ooops apology's here not being a local man. The Roundabout in question is when going westward from Lower Early Way to Whitley Wood Lane north of the Shinfield Road Crossing not J11.

A system printout shows my map as Western & Central Europe 810.1934 my 940 is in the garage at the moment.

Does your 940L work OK ?

I thought that was only a year old but it should not cause much of a mapping problem as it replaced a double roundabout with a large single roundabout and took off around 20 yards of Whitley Wood Lane. Google maps show it as it was but the satellite photo shows it as it is.

As for the 940, it is fine although the accuracy of the HD Traffic data is not yet good enough.
ccarmock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needless to say TomTom have failed to get my 940 working with LIVE. they promised to pass the call to 2nd line support as they felt the issue was somethign about my device registration on their servers, and I could expect it to be working after the weekend.

Nothing has changed, and despite updating online support case there is no response.

Do they EVER respond to the online cases? or is the only way to get any type of response to call?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: