Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TomTom 720 - which app/map version to upgrade to
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TomTom 720 - which app/map version to upgrade to

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HairyBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: New TomTom 720 - which app/map version to upgrade to Reply with quote

Hi,

yesterday I received my new 720 from totalPDA - fast delivery and after testing a little in the car this afternoon so far I'm well pleased with my bargain buy Very Happy

My 720 out of the box is loaded with:
Application: v7.221
Maps of Western Europe: v715.1703

I have backed up using Home and another backup using internet explorer to be safe - my question now is which application version should I upgrade to (i have read about issues with 8.3) before upgrading the maps using the latest map guarantee included ?

I'm thinking can I upgrade to say v8.2 application (to avoid the buggy v8.3) and then upgrade the maps and get the latest version maps or do I have to go to v8.3 application and accept the bugs to get the best/latest map ?

Thanks in advance for your advice Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to install the 8,300 software prior to updating the map, anything else and the chances are you will be given an older map or one less featured such as the map intended for the TomTom One range.

As you have the Windows Explorer backup simply update the device to 8,300 and then grab the new map, then back the device up again using Windows Explorer. After this you can "mix and match" Navcore software versions and v810 or v815 maps if you find you have an issue with the 8,300 code on the device - Mike
HairyBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike and wow what a quick response !

I have tried to start the upgrading through Home and get a message telling me I can't change the device linked to my account with TomTom more than once every 6 months ! Confused

Bit of a saga this but I recently won a ONE 3rd Edition in a raffle which I registered with TomTom and upgraded the maps on. I have since found the limitations (particularly around managing POI's) on the ONE to be a big pain in the *ss so am selling that and have purchased the 720.

So, TomTom are saying because I registered the ONE with them last week I can't now decide to purchase and use a 720 with them now ??? Is it just me or is this complete nonsense ? Evil or Very Mad

Anyway I guess I have to sit tight and contact their tech support when they re-open after Christmas ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

register the new device with a new e-mail account and it will work fine - stupid system needing multiple e-mail accounts but we dont write the rules! - a second e-mail address is the easy way around your current issue - Mike
HairyBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

All done - registered against a different email address and all worked smoothly Cool My shiny new 720 now reports Application v8.3 and Map v815.

Looking forward to trying it out over the next few days.

Thanks again for your help Mike Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: