Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio C220 - Will Never buy Mio again
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio C220 - Will Never buy Mio again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Mio C220 - Will Never buy Mio again Reply with quote

Not that there's anything wrong with the unit or it's navigation - it's the lack of support, or more to the point, lack of caring from Mio (part of Navman) that irks me.

I have a Mio C220 and all was well until I recently bought a new computer, which like most new computers comes complete with Windows Vista - Not only is Vista not supported for the C220, but there ARE NO PLANS TO SUPPORT IT either. The only answer i could get from Mio was a shrugged, "Can't you find a Windows XP machine and update from that?" Huh? Well maybe I can at the moment, but this will get less as friends upgrade, and anyway why should I have to schlepp around and beg computer time from friends. Yeah I know, I can't expect them to keep up to date with all the latyest operating systems etc etc - but wait! My Mio is LESS THAN A YEAR OLD so you would have to guess they knew about Vista before this model was sold to me.

I guess it's back to Tom Tom for me then - shame as the Mio was a good unit

A very exasperated Steve
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vista is the problem, it's not only your device that isn't compatible but many programmes which worked perfectly on XP but not Vista.

Microsoft are the ones to blame for not adding backward compatibilty.
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Vista is the problem, it's not only your device that isn't compatible but many programmes which worked perfectly on XP but not Vista.

Microsoft are the ones to blame for not adding backward compatibilty.

I would not normally disagree as you normally cannot expect something which works fine with one OS to always be able to with new software upgrades.

However.....

1) The Mio is less than a year old, The World and his wife knew that Vista was on it's way (if not already out by then?) - if not withdrawn from sale a warning should have been included

2) They have managed to add Vista compatibility to many if not most other models - why not this one

3) The more than obvious lack of interest in my dilema - I really was shrugged off and that attitude said it all for me even if the above 2 points were not there, this was the clincher - no apology, nor any sympathy it seemed either, just "That's the way it is"

As the thread is named - I personally won't buy Mio or Navman products again and others may wish to take note and make their own choices.

(Thanks for your input by the way)

Steve
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little bit surprised about your compatability problem Steve, because surely the only interfaciing and compatabilibity required is for syncing which is covered by Activesync with XP and windows Mobile centre for Vista which is Microsofts problem, although I must admit Mobile centre is a bit of a let down and i also have to agree Vista shpuld have had more compatability with previous periphials running under Xp.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not only is Vista not supported for the C220, but there ARE NO PLANS TO SUPPORT IT either.

As I said, Steveg, Microsoft is the problem not Mio.
Quote:
1) The Mio is less than a year old, The World and his wife knew that Vista was on it's way (if not already out by then?) - if not withdrawn from sale a warning should have been included

Withdrawn from sale? What about all those still using XP or have reverted back to it because of the problems with Vista?
Quote:
2) They have managed to add Vista compatibility to many if not most other models - why not this one

Again it's a Microsoft problem, not a Mio one.

Other than the problem with Vista and Mio, did your C220 do everthing you wanted it to and were you happy with it until you changed to Vista?

Have you thought of having a partition with XP on it and dual boot?
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Valid points Mr property, and as I said not ones I would generally disagree with, but my point 3 remains - they just showed no interest or care, not even to say "That's a shame, but I'm sorry we can't help you" - even that much would have shown a tad of remorse, but it really was a "don't really care" attitude.

Yeah I 'could' make an XP partition - yes I could upgrade on another machine, and likely will - but eventually I will replace it and the first brand not to be considered will be for me, Mio and Navman - again as I said this is just me, others will have their own opinions.

Yes the unit has performed well up to expectations during the few months I was able to update it and yes I would have been very pleased with it, but to sell a unit without any warning knowing it would never be compatible is just wrong.

Thanks for your thoughts though, they are listened to and appreciated, whether I agree with them or not

Steve
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is THIS helpful?
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Is THIS helpful?

Thats kind of you to take the trouble to look for this for me - Thank you

However.... (There's always one of those isn't there?) - Step 2 suggests that I open Mobile Devices - Windows Powered Pocket PC 2003. - all fine but in device manager I do not have Mobile devices listed, let alone Windows Powered Pocket PC 2003. so I don't think this procedure will work me sadly

Thanks once again (am still open to any other suggestions you, or others may have?)

Steve

Last edited by Steveg on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that, I followed a link for Mio C220/Vista problems and assumed it could be the answer. I missed...

Quote:
2] Open Mobile Devices - Windows Powered Pocket PC 2003.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: