Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Compass preferences function.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Compass preferences function.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be much more useful if you could allow others to track you as and when you chose via a web portal.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I use the Buddies feature from time to time as you can send messages as well as positional data via the system, with an x40 Live its not costing you anything to use in way of data charges so why not?
Enroute to the last PGPSW Expo it was handy to see where the others were on the road so it can have its uses - Mike

Could it also be used as a cheaper way for a haulier / delivery service to know where their vehicles (staff) are??
Only wondering aloud like. Assuming the boss has pre-programmed any satnav they have provided.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my brief plays with buddies it seems that the 940 automatically (I think on traffic updates) sends out its position to the servers so your buddies can see where you are but the 530 and TTN6 only put out the position when you do a manual update to say I am here. I think the position update should be configurable from manual to every x minutes or change in position of y miles.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I think the position update should be configurable from manual to every x minutes or change in position of y miles.
This would be a great addition to the capabilities of the Buddies feature, we will have to see if TT can add something like that in a future release - Mike
LANE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Compass preferences function. Reply with quote

TuppyTrucker wrote:
LANE wrote:
If you contact TT they say sorry, that's the way it is, and they will send you an email to respond to so you can protest, this way it can be sent to the person or persons responsible with a view to getting it reinstated,... yeah right!!

Any chance you can post that email text and the address so that we can send it? I keep trying to get through to TT support on their website but never succeed in getting the message sent.
I have a very good argument lined up for them, as they probably don't realise how very useful this feature used to be and how utterly useless the 'upgraded' version is.

This is the TT email:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support
With the latest Version 8 software update, many new changes and features have been implemented with this update. One of which is that the Compass feature has changed.

The Compass is now shown as a small icon in the bottom left hand corner of the main Navigation screen and points to the North only. Because of these changes, it is no longer possible to point to your destination or direction of travel.

At TomTom, we take all customer feedback seriously. If the new style compass is something that is not to your liking and you preferred the functionality of the old style compass, please reply back with some details of how you used the old style compass and some suggestions of how to improve the new compass. We will pass this information to our 2nd line team and product management teams and it is possible that the new compass feature will be improved yet again with more functionality.

With Best Regards
Caleb
The TomTom Customer Support Team

Should you wish to update your TomTom Question, please log in to your TomTom account via the TomTom website.
You can also attach documents to the question by clicking on 'Browse' and find the document you wish to attach to the question, then click on 'Add Attachment'.

Product Level 1: All-In-One Navigation
Product Level 2: TomTom GO 520
Category Level 1: Tips & Tutorials
Date Created: 19/12/2008 10.21 AM
Last Updated: 19/12/2008 10.21 AM
App version:
Operating system PC:

If TT on their home site put an information warning that the compass preference would be altered through upgrading it would at least have saved a tiresome phone call to get an explanation.

As for the other feature it has had to make way for, why can't it be loaded into the "Quick Menu" so we have a choice and visually utilise as much of the map as possible without a clutter of icons? After all the "new" compass was considered by TT to be significant to upgrade from earlier versions why is it now insignificant ? Even my TT3 on a PDA has a great compass on it, but then most of the PDA version is better particularly POI logging.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Compass preferences function. Reply with quote

LANE wrote:
At TomTom, we take all customer feedback seriously. If the new style compass is something that is not to your liking and you preferred the functionality of the old style compass, please reply back with some details of how you used the old style compass and some suggestions of how to improve the new compass. We will pass this information to our 2nd line team and product management teams and it is possible that the new compass feature will be improved yet again with more functionality.

Unfortunately, as has been ponted out elsewhere, it is not easy to provide customer feedback. I have re-submitted my complaint about the compass.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
alanji wrote:
I liked the directional compass. You could set your destination and meander down little roads in the general direction of your destination.
It was also amusing when in a moutainous region (eg Alps or Pyrenees) to see that your destination is, say, 6 miles away and it is going to take you 24 miles (some in the opposite direction) to get there!
Also useful if you did not want to follow TT suggestions blindly.

Now I can see the usefulness of the feature in that respect, I'd never tried configuring the distance function back when it was available.

Any chance you can use your (no doubt) considerable influence then, Darren?

Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanji wrote:

If only that were true. I can however assure you that the compass issue has been conveyed to TomTom for what little good it will do.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
alanji wrote:

If only that were true. I can however assure you that the compass issue has been conveyed to TomTom for what little good it will do.

Thanks, Darren.

Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanji wrote:
Darren wrote:
alanji wrote:

Thanks, Darren.

I am not buying a TomTom until they bring back the compass arrow! I found it so useful and when I bought a Navman S100 I really missed it.
I was about to return my Navman for a TomTom when I found out the compass arrow had disappeared!

It is such a useful tool and something I always used. I never fully trust Satnav intelligence so knowing the direction and direct distance of my destination is imperative to me.

Tc
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TangoCharlie wrote:
I never fully trust Satnav intelligence so knowing the direction and direct distance of my destination is imperative to me.

Laughing Out Loud, you distrust the navigation yet think the compass is more trustworthy? The compass coded by the very same programmers! If you really want a compass get a real one Laughing
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I do trust an arrow pointing towards the destination but I don't fully trust the satnav's chosen route.
For example, it often sends you in the opposite direction in order to pick up a motorway. That's fine if the route is not chock-a-block.

Tc
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely, traffic jams aren't exclusive to motorways and the 'direct' route may also be affected by such things.

However, determining the optimum route is therefore subject to addition parameters such as traffic info or local knowledge rather than simply knowing the heading to your destination.
TangoCharlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Surely, traffic jams aren't exclusive to motorways and the 'direct' route may also be affected by such things.

However, determining the optimum route is therefore subject to addition parameters such as traffic info or local knowledge rather than simply knowing the heading to your destination.

The direct route may well be effected also but at least you know you are travelling in the correct direction.
It is an aid when things go wrong and you're totally going wrong due to outdated maps, new ring roads etc or just merly knowing which way you are heading.

I do over 100 miles a day and the direction arrow together with the distance reading are seriously good tools.
Tc
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me old fashioned, but I still like to scan a paper map to double check the planned route and identify possible detours along the way.

It's a bit like having the ability to do mental arithmetic versus relying on a calculator - if you have no idea what the 'answer' should be, you have no idea if the result you're given is completely wrong....not forgetting what you do if the device suddenly fails.

If you plot a route from:
50.81289734751455, -1.0872066020965576

to:
50.78955118763657, -1.1131596565246582

the direction to destination arrow will be totally meaningless, as will the planned route, but common sense will tell you that your car can't just jump off a car ferry where there's no ferry terminal.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: