Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 765T - Anyone here got one?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

765T - Anyone here got one?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gibbo500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

As a GPS newbie i decided to go for the 765T about a week ago. Everyday that i have used it i have experienced shutdowns and todays shutdown i couldn't get it to restart...luckily i had a vague idea where i was going.

Although i like the unit i am seriously thinking of exchanging it for a TomTom.

I agree it is pretty poor of Garmin. Sad
binty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting Chinster1957. Hope this can help cure the problems
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experienced 2 types of random shut-downs on the Nuvi 765t

1 - system shuts down and re-boots almost instantly (firmware 2.2, 2.3 and 2.5)

2 - system shuts down (only seen this after the unit has been on for over 1 hour) and stays off - I recommend that you leave it for a while. No amount of resetting, holding bottom corner or holding the switch over to the left makes any difference. After about 30 minutes you can then turn the unit back on as you would do normally - almost as if there is some temperature gauge / fuse preventing the unit from overheating. (firmware 2.5)
barbiexx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the screen brightness set at 100% the unit becomes very hot, the same happens with the brightness around 30% (on both units) and then shuts down. I reduced the brightness to round 20% and the unit ran cooler. I also disabled all avoidances, bluetooth and 3D. Ran the unit for around 8 hours, from my radio shack 12v supply and it worked perfectly, no shutdowns.

Drove to work a journey of about 15 minutes with no problems. Great, cured I thought. Wrong, on the way home it shut down after 5 minues on its internal battery power. The unit was not hot so suspect it is not thermal overload.

Garmin have emailed me saying the unit requires replacement and I shall be doing this today. Hopefully not for a 765T from my experience they are not yet reliable but of course others may not have experienced these problems.

Maybe it is a fault with a certain batch from the factory.

Took the unit back and had no problems in exchanging for the Nuvi 860, no extra payment. Problem now solved.

Cannot fault Garmin support - they have been superb
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd that there has been no mention of a similar issue with the North American models. Perhaps you are correct that it's a particular run of product with the issue.
binty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
Odd that there has been no mention of a similar issue with the North American models. Perhaps you are correct that it's a particular run of product with the issue.

This might be a possibility.Everyone here seems to have problems with their 765T's.Are there any users who have bought one and are enjoying trouble free sat nav?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often the way with forums, no-one ever bothers to post when it's all working!

My 765T is working fine since the last update, no lock-ups or other similar issues at all.
letmeboogey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Garmin 765T Reply with quote

Hi

I purchased the Garmin 765 and i am pretty pleased and the fact that Garmin have acknowledged why the system keeps re-starting is due to the 3d Building software, which they are working on a fix for but for the time being to switch off the 3D building option, which can be done and had no issues. I really do like this device and works well

Navtec have annoyed me, in that last years maps i could find my address with the new postocde that postoffice had changed to, but now i can still find it but does not show the address details, but shows full details if i use the old postcode, secondly the why remove several car parking POI's from the 2009 maps which were there in 2008. It is funny they have removed the parking sites for Cambridge's major shopping centre car parks, which is ridiculous e.g Lionyard now know as the grand arcade.Lets hope they pull their fingers out.

Regards
Letmeboogey
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last two days, I've had two instances of the unit turning itself off, both times were on the same journey but many miles apart and each time I was able to switch it back on after a minute or so.

3D maps are turned off and the U-turns box is unticked.
letmeboogey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Garmin 765 Reply with quote

Hi

I am wondering whether people have switched off the 3d mapping in terms of how the map is displayed. The actual issue is not the mapping but the 3d buildings. This can be switched off by going to settings and then maps then select map info and untick the 3d buildings option only. This should prevent your system from switching off until Garmin has provided a software update to fix the issue. By doing this I have not had any issues.

Happy Xmas and Happy New Year
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've still had shutdowns with the 3d buildings turned off.
letmeboogey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Garmin 765 Reply with quote

Even though the issue exists it may be that the device requires the latest software update to stop it switching off after the 3d building has been switched off or it could be that this affects a set number of batches. Where did you get yours from ? [/quote]
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was bought from eBay and I've run the updates so everything is the current version.
citron
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 765 T Reply with quote

What's the latest, have they cured the problems yet? Is it safe to buy one now?

Citron Question Question
letmeboogey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Garmin 765 Reply with quote

Hi

I am happy with mine and have not had any switch off yet as I switched off the 3d building option. The way I look at this is a feature that does not affect the use of the device and most sat nav does not have this anyway. I will use it once issue has been resolved. Others have mentioned the issue about the touch screen sensitivity however the screen on 765 can be calibrated and this has resolved my issues. I think they have improved the device and I like it very much and the lane guideance works very well. This is just my opinion. The issue seems to be sporadic at best as even though I myself have not had any switch off issues, I simply followed advice as a precaution and have been told a fix is in the pipeline. I am still able to use the sat nav it was intended. I hope this helps with your decision making.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15

Jump to: