Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 720 Going...Cheap...ish
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 720 Going...Cheap...ish
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why I'm doing it tomorrow night...sorry Colin.

Paranoia sets in and once done and after doing another backup I will need to delete Loquendo and copy across the V710 voice....and hope.....but at least at that point I will have the latest maps backed up as well. Read this before but do the map downloads stay on your PC anyway ?

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)

Last edited by topgazza on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
cutslick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
Read this before but do the map downloads stay on your PC anyway ?

Yes they do, through TT Home.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right...so they sit in the TT Home folder ?

Admittedly having a full backup negates the real need but you never know.......

cutslick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, My Documents\TomTom\Home\Download\complete\map

I have also have about 3 or 4 independent full backups (which include maps of course) compressed by Winrar. The first one being of the original configuraion, the rest at various stages of Navcore and map revision.

Last edited by cutslick on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent...thank you

jumpjim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered one for my sister to replace the built-in unit in the Volvo which, quite frankly, is absolute pants.

Thanks for heads up guys! Great price! Very Happy
jumpjim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the first unit arrived. Plugged it in to get it all updated prior to giving it to my sister for her trip to France on Friday.

First of all it only shows as having 1gb of internal memory.

Then, upon loading up Tomtom home it rapidly becomes apparent that the only map the unit has come with is the Iberian map...no sign of the Western Europe one at all.

Am returning it to TotalPDA as we speak.... Confused
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too cheap to resist.....

Have been looking to replace the nuvi 660 for a while. Was looking at the nuvi 765 - but too expensive at present.

So the TT720 at a total price of £116.43 inc delivery is too good a bargain. Hopefully get it before Christmas. Even got the £10 discount using the code posted on the first page - pleasantly suprised it still worked.

Now to get the Brodit adapter and have a look for the traffic module and iPod connection
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Now to get the Brodit adapter and have a look for the traffic module and iPod connection

For the iPOD cable have a look at the Northwich branch of Halfords (thats the nearest to you with stock) and they are on special offer - I recently picked some up in the bargain bucket for £3 each in Blackpool

Don't be fooled by the packet saying x10 Only or the staff telling you they only work with the x10 and won't work with anything else, they are fine with the x10, x20, x30 and x40 see Here

Don't get the RDS receiver from the same shop as that price is daylight robbery, at least Dick Turpin wore a mask Shocked You can get either RDS receiver (Mini USB or earlier type) from Amazon for under £20, I would suggest you go for the Mini USB style receiver though which will free up the iPOD port on the device, or get a large SDHC card and put your music on that - less cables in the car - Mike
grizgut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got one of the Total PDA refurbs reccommended on this thread and have updated it as suggested to 8.3 first and then got the latest map, thanks to all.
I had a problem when I tried to load the new map where I was told by Home that there was not enough space on the device. I put in a 2gb SD card and installed it again and it worked but I now have 2 Western Europe maps, one on the SD and one on the GO. How do I go about deleting the older one on the GO? Once I have deleted it can I move the map and files now on the SD card back onto the GO (make some space for MP3's)?

Newbie post so sorry if its pretty basic.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
philpugh wrote:

For the iPOD cable have a look at the Northwich branch of Halfords (thats the nearest to you with stock) and they are on special offer - I recently picked some up in the bargain bucket for £3 each in Blackpool

Don't get the RDS receiver from the same shop as that price is daylight robbery, at least Dick Turpin wore a mask Shocked You can get either RDS receiver (Mini USB or earlier type) from Amazon for under £20, I would suggest you go for the Mini USB style receiver though which will free up the iPOD port on the device, or get a large SDHC card and put your music on that - less cables in the car - Mike

Thanks for that Mike. The SDHC card may be the way to go - but if I can get the cables for that price i may as well make a short trip into Northwich tomorrow!
grizgut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump this one back to the top but can anyone help with my question please?

Just got one of the Total PDA refurbs reccommended on this thread and have updated it as suggested to 8.3 first and then got the latest map, thanks to all.

I had a problem when I tried to load the new map where I was told by Home that there was not enough space on the device. I put in a 2gb SD card and installed it again and it worked but I now have 2 Western Europe maps, one on the SD card and one on the GO. How do I go about deleting the older one on the GO? Once I have deleted it can I move the map and files now on the SD card back onto the GO (make some space for MP3's)?

Newbie post so sorry if its pretty basic.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be able to let you know in about 2hs 4mins time!

My refurb 720 arrived yesterday - a saga in itself as I was at work when the courier arrived. He wouldn't let my wife sign for it as it said consignee only! She had to ring me so I could tell him it was alright to let her sign for it. It's a good job she was feeling ill otherwise he may have regretted his actions.

So I backed it up - very impressed with the speed of that - significantly faster than the nuvi 660.

Did the 8.3 upgrade - no probs. Then went for the map upgrade. It told me that it was going to be about 20hrs! Now we are out in the sticks and our broadband speed is only 512Kbps (on a good day when the sheep are aligned correctly!) I thought I would leave it. However about 3 hrs into this saga it stopped, loosing connection with the TT server it said. No amount of coaxing would get it to start again. So it's in it's cradle here at work reloading the map. It's now saying 2hrs 13 mins - so it's going backwards again! Will keep you updated.

I do like the TomTom Home screen that is currently displaying "Changing content Just a moment please...." Shows they have a sense of humour!

BTW - I did get the stuttering Kate voice on my way in this am - so now I feel part of 'the gang' Laughing Seems to kick in when making turns. I had the map in 2D mode but didn't notice any display slow down.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@grizgut, make sure you backup the device and both maps to your PC using Windows Explorer before you delete anything at all.

With the device connected to the PC shut down the TomTom Home application if it starts up as its not required.

Open Windows Explorer and both the TomTom device and the storage card will be shown as separate drive letters, copy everything off both locations (all files and folders) to a known location on the PC.

The TomTom device will be shown with the red hands logo next to the drive letter, open this with Windows Explorer and look for the map folder, it will be named "Western_and_Central_Europe" or "Western_Europe" click it once and hit the delete key to clear the space.

Copy the map folder from the SD card to the device memory and once transfer has completed right click the usb device icon in the taskbar bar (lower right of the PC screen) and select Stop - this will terminate the PC to TomTom connection, it is now safe to remove the mini USB lead from the device.

Boot the device and make sure it can see the map, to check the map version on the device tap the sat strength meter (lower right) followed by the version box, the next screen will show you the software version (8,300) and map name/ version (815).

Delete the map from the SD card and create a folder named "mp3" (without the "") in the root of the storage card, put all your music files/ folders into this mp3 folder.

Insert the card to the TomTom and boot the unit, when you select JukeBox all your music tracks should be listed.

@Phil, the stammering voice is something that I experienced quite a considerable amount yesterday, but today the device has been fine. There is very little that can be done about this other than waiting for an update from TomTom.
The only viable option is to roll the device back to using v8,010 software and the v810 map - not ideal but I guess it depends how bad you view the issue with the device.
Another way to reduce the stammer is to use a non computer voice such as Jane, this does remove the ability to read out road names but it does stop it stammering - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for that - the stammering wasn't too bad and it only happened right at the end of my 30 mins to work this morning (first outing with the device). I'm going to finish the map upgrade (now showing as 6 hrs - so there is a problem with the network here I suspect). Then I'm going to load the PGPSW cameras and then I'll reload my John Cleese voice that I had for TTNav a couple of years ago. Just waiting for the RDS Traffic lead (should be just after Christmas). Brodit mount installed and working.

Oh dear (not what I really thought Evil or Very Mad ) It's just lost connectivity to the TT server again. Do TT do an option where they could send me my 'free' update on DVD?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: