Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 765T - Anyone here got one?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

765T - Anyone here got one?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, sorry it was 2.50 I had running and the replacement was 2.30. I have previously had a 760 so probably where I got the firmware 4.xx from.

GPS firmware is 2.80 (already installed but webupdater keeps showing it)

Issues with the 765 at both 2.30 and 2.50 are:
Random shutdown (sometimes instant reboot, sometimes the unit refuses to do anything for an hour)
Brightness display won't increase above 30% although the readout says it increments in 10% steps
Voice directions have randomly stopped working but the map display still works normally
On 2.50 only the map detail (names, label for Motorways whilst routing were far fewer in number and frequency) - the release notes state the map drawing has been improved!
Again after updating to 2.50, the voice levels seemed to have been reduced and the warning bong had a distorted and "tinny" sound.

Has anyone else suffered any / all of the above?
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the new 7x0's are actually shipping with FW4.5, not yet available to us.
Glynned
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected, I knew I had read somewhere about 760's firmware being 4. something. Anyway my 765 seems to be problem free at the moment Rolling Eyes I only hope it stays that way.
TomTom Go 700
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my 765T today with firmware version 2.2, am I best staying at this level for a while?
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feek

I have found 2.3 and 2.5 both have issues - I don't know about 2.2 but on the basis that I saw no improvement in updating to 2.5 (I think the map detail was less) you may want to say at that until you experience one of the bugs I have reported earlier or you need the bluetooth update
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked to speak to a senior Tech and reported the usual bugs on the Nuvi 765 and Garmin UK admitted most of the issues that I raised. I was advised that an update to 2.60 is in test in the US and should be released in the next week or so.
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i was just impatient, but i took mine back and they swapped it for a brand new unit 2 times, i always updated it to version 2.50 Software, my problems were the unit re-started itself a lot of the time and also the road re-draw rate while you were on route to a destination was terrible, you would be driving along the road following the pink road to your destination, when suddenly the road you were on suddenly dissapears while it re-draws itself! Mad
this happened on both my units, maybe im just too fussy and it does this on these units i dont know?
i also had problems when approaching roundabouts, the roundabouts and roads would dissapear and turn white for 1 or 2 seconds, then re-appear, it drive me insane, i swapped my Garmin 765T for a TomTom GO 940 LIVE, apart from a few streets missing that the Garmin could find, im more than happy now.... Very Happy
i still miss the bright colourful screen of the Garmin and some of the features, but i have it all now in the new 940 GO, knowing me i will probably buy a 765T when they have ironed out all the problems, i can have 1 TomTom Sat Nav for Work and the other Garmin for my "Band Van" when i go to ireland etc
(the mapping is better on the Garmin by far for this)
i always thought Teleatlas was better than Navteq, but i have been proven wrong in some cases Crying or Very sad

let me know when version 2.60 comes out, has anyone had my above problems on their 765T units like what i had? Rolling Eyes
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
www.facebook.com/bongiovitributeband
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated my 765 to 2.50 on the strength of reading that disabling the 3D building overlay helped the random restarts but after a drive to Brum yesterday and back today I can say that it's not made any difference at all. Mine turned itself off when I was a few miles outside of Birmingham and luckily I was able to get it back on after a couple of minutes trying or I'd have been knackered.

Roll on the next version.
barbiexx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 765T Reply with quote

I have similiar problems - the unit screen goes blank for milliseconds and then after about 80 or 90 minutes decides to shut down totally and refuses to re-start for about 15 minutes. Feels like it is shutting down due to thermal overload.

This is the second one I have had in the space of 3 weeks, each has the most recent software installed at source.

Although I do like the unit it is not really a lot of use if it keeps shutting down. Now run the Road Angel Adventurer (not as good) alongside the unit so at least I have a SatNav on board..

The man at Garmin said it was impossible for the unit to just die and refuse to switch back on.
farmergiles73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought one today from Halfords. I'll connect to PC and check version when I get home.

Will also update here if any issues!
Waynesters
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you probably know, i got rid of my 765T, had 2 of the units and still got restarting etc, i think its disgusting that a big company like GARMIN can release a product with this Problem, im sure their update will fix it, but for people who just want a sat nav and dont know about updating, checking this website etc, there will certainly be a lot of unhappy consumers this Christmas, and if you get the Jobsworth Manager from Hell at HALFORDS like i had, thats another problem to moan about! Mad
TomTom 940
www.bongiovi.co.uk
www.facebook.com/bongiovitributeband
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbiexx

This is the exact same problem that I have had with both units. Garmin told me too that the unit couldn't switch off for a long period and then restart once it had "cooled down"
barbiexx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed the new updates as advised by Garmin UK. Does not solve the problem apart from the shutdowns are now more random. 3-D is disabled and this has not helped one little bit.

It is very bad form when these units are still on sale, espcially at Xmas time, with these known faults in them. Can do the reputation of Garmin no good at all. Tom Tom must be rubbing their hands in glee
binty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barbiexx wrote:

It is very bad form when these units are still on sale, espcially at Xmas time, with these known faults in them. Can do the reputation of Garmin no good at all. Tom Tom must be rubbing their hands in glee

Agree completely. I was all set to buy a 765T until I read the problems in this thread. Now I am going to wait to see if they can be resolved. If not I will look at Tom Tom although I prefer Garmin.
All 765T's should be withdrawn until the problems are rectified. It really is a poor show from Garmin and does their reputation no good at all.
Chinster1957
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this unit for a month or so and it has switched off on many routes. By fluke, I found a route which caused the unit to switch off while it was actually calculating, and it did it every time. This meant it was a fault that could be replicated by Garmin.

I sent this information to Garmin and have since found out that the problem (with this route anyway) was being caused by the U-Turns avoidance being ticked. Allow U-Turns and it is ok, switch off U-Turns and it fails. I have again sent this info to Garmin who have managed to replicate the problem at their offices.

I have now had a reply from them stating that they have tried this route on a test 765T running firmware Beta 2.55 and they have fixed this fault. Hopefully this means that we will all soon have a unit that can follow a route without failing.

In the mean time I would recommend unticking the U-Turns avoidance and see how you get on.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15

Jump to: