Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is TomTom3 with Axim X5 Basic (32MB and PPC2002) Suitable?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is TomTom3 with Axim X5 Basic (32MB and PPC2002) Suitable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wimpy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Is TomTom3 with Axim X5 Basic (32MB and PPC2002) Suitable? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am just about to put my first PocketPC navigation system together. I have read most of Dave's reviews and articles which have been extremely helpful. I have decided that I will buy TT3 and hope to use it with my old Axim X5 Basic, which is PPC2002 has 32MB RAM/ROM, 256MB SD-RAM card and Xscale 300Mhz CPU. Unfortunately upgrading to WM2003 is not an option.

I would be interested to hear from other Axim X5 owners and TT3 users, if my PocketPC is suitable to install and run TT3. I am most concerned about the 32MB of main memory. The Axim will be dedicated to navigation, so I only expect to install TT3, CF GPS drivers and CheckPOInt (or similar).

Thanks in advance.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this should work fine ppc 2003 and only has minor enhancments to ppc2002 so i wouldnt for see any problems

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
nicknick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Advanced, but the Basic will be perfectly OK.

If you do get problems then 99% of the time it's the SD card
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works fine. Just make sure you move as much data as possible out of the main memory onto the storage card. The TomTom voice files for example are a good 2 MB in size. Every MB you can save will add to the program's stability and speed at runtime.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Wimpy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the prompt replies and tips. I will be sure to install as much as possible into SD-RAM.

I have only recently seen talk of issues with SD-RAM media and PocketPC stability, in fact it has only come to light as a potential issue since researching this funky GPS and SatNav stuff. Is there anyway I can test the quality of my SD-RAM cards? They have been perfectly reliable so far, both for PocketPC and Digital Camera, but maybe my use has not been demanding enough to date?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post the markings from the back of the card(s), and I can usually identify which company made the card(s). The brand is often meaningless - a lot of companies buy in cards from the manufacturer and put their own brand on them - many of those companies change manufacturer periodically. The manufacturer will tell you what they're like in terms of compatibility and performance.

I've posted a reply to you in another thread about where I'd go to buy a good 256MB SD card.

So far as putting lots of stuff into SD, you don't want to clutter the main memory that much on a 32MB RAM machine as you don't have that much room to play with, but some have found problems putting the voice files onto SD card. They may have to go into main memory.

You may or may not get away putting the Navigator program onto your memory card - I'd try it in RAM first, and if you're showing signs of RAM exhaustion, move it to SD then. Your call, though.

David
Wimpy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, the tip about voice file placement is something I will keep in mind. I will attempt to install everything into SD media from the outset to keep the main RAM as free as possible.

Thanks to your comments in another thread about my SD media, I can confirm that it is made by Toshiba but branded by Dane-Elec.
nicknick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this link http://sdprob.aximsite.com/theproblemlist.htm you can find a list which will give you an idea of those that have problems and those that don't.

This has been mostly compiled from real Axim users
Wimpy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. This is the site I found from someone else who posted here. I have since established I have a Dane-Elec branded but Toshiba made SD card.

I ran Pocket Mechanic today and the performance is a touch faster than the figures from another Axim X5 A03 using SimpleTech 256 MB SD card. I am using FAT32 and I read somewhere that may be quicker than FAT?

I finally ordered the parts today. Haicom 303MMF, TTN3 and Seidio G2500.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: