Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SatNav recomendation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SatNav recomendation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thermoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: SatNav recomendation Reply with quote

Decided to have a new Satnav off the wife for Crimble, I have an ageing PDA with navigator 6.03 but getting fed up of reloading when the battery dies on a regular basis.
I am looking at 4 units, TomTom GO 530T & 770T / Garmin Nuvi 760T & 770T.
I would find the Bluetooth and FM facilities handy and as the wife receives reward points from her employer to buy these units no cash changes hands so price differentials don't matter.
I drive in the UK and Ireland and sometimes pop over to France , Belgium & Germany.
The speed camera POI is essential (9 points)
Any recommendations as to which one is a best buy for reliability and ease of use?

Barry
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are used to using TomTom's interface then the ease of use would suggest you stick with a TT (and as this bit is a TT forum then sorry it is all I know!!!), as from what I remember not alot has changed from PDA version to the later ones, menus look the same anyway.

If you are going to Europe then the GO 7 Series would be the best choice, as they already have the European map.

The decision then is do you need all the "beautiful" new HD services, traffic etc. or can you cope without, if you can cope without then it is a 720 or 730 which are available on some great deals at the moment.

However if the money available to you can stretch to £200 max. then you can get a 920T, which can then be updated to a virtual 930T, the 9 series has North America map and an internal device that enables tracking of your progress even when there is no Satellite Signal (it is for built up areas etc.), it also comes wih a Remote Control.

So you would have the best TT offer without HD Services for less than 200 quid. That is where my money would go.

They are available at Currys for £199.99

The best Speedcam Database is the one supplied on this site for £19 per year, the TT one is a little hit and miss! Very Happy

Cheers

Carl
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards the TT options, assume you mean the 730T as there is no 770T.

The TT GO currently have some software issues. If you trust that TT will eventually fix these, then I have to say that as of today, you may be better off with the 920T. Shocked

Whilst you have no price requirements, if you can find one, this will automatically be updated to the same specification as the 930T (which appears to have been withdrawn by TT). The 920T comes with Western & Central Europe maps (same as 730T and more than 530T which only has UK & Ireland) and also comes with North America maps (not available on 730T or 530T). All will be updated to the latest version with the TT Latest Map Guarantee.

The 920T also has Enhanced Positioning Technology (EPT). This uses positioning sensors to monitor your acceleration and direction and then estimates your current location. This is not available on the 530T or 730T.

I cannot comment on Garmin models.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
Thermoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I meant 730T, finger problems.
The unit will be obtained from my wifes employers which at the moment do not offer the 930T as an option, only 530T or 730T in the Tomtom range.
The reason I posted on this forum is because I am familiar with Tomtom so I think It will be good to stay with them.
What are the software issues with the Go?

Barry
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What are the software issues with the Go?

Be prepared for a long read and click here

But it will be fixed Wink honest.

Basically new version of Navcore software has created a number of issues associated with Computer Voices and some lag.

Cheers

Carl
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do get a TomTom device back it up using Windows Explorer before you do anything at all with the unit, and make sure you do this prior to any free updates to the software or maps. The backup then gives you the chance to roll the device back to the previous version should you experiance issues with the updated maps/ application.

Near the top of this forum index are a number of "sticky" topics, one is called FAQ's I would have a read through some of these to understand how to perform a backup using Windows Explorer.

The x30 units are a decent choice, 730T sounds the best option as you get the European mapping and the RDS-TMC receiver, in short the latest update might cause stuttering of the voice and slow screen refresh rates with POI files enabled on the device, it will remove the capability to play the navigation voice via the FM Transmitter but the music will still work fine this way - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: