Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem with camera sound files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with camera sound files
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robbo66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Problem with camera sound files Reply with quote

I have added a set of .ogg sound files to the map folder of my 720 ie along with the camera files. When I set up the unit to the installation notes, it says that if the files are installed correctly, then it should default to Sound Effect in the choices menu. It doesn't do this but gives me the menu for the bells/gongs etc.
I have my voices set on a computer voice. Does this have any bearing on it? Or am I doing something else wrong.
I have removed these sound files and reinstalled another set but with the same result. Any suggestions please?
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try creatignga folder called sounds and puttin the .oggs in there instead - this will make them show up as selectable files on your 720.
Actually just looked at my back up fiel and teh sounds directory is already there so just copy the .oggs into it

DinAlt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robbo66,

Have had the same problem as you with my 710 and with my new 720 - to a certain extent.
For me, make sure the .ogg files are correctly named, I know I know.
Bung them all in the map folder with your POIs .

When I go through the 'Edit POI' sequence quite often I put in the distance and click OK, and nothing happens. Just lets me put in the warn distance and won't go from there. I cancel that POI, move onto another, put in warn distance, then get 4 options, can't remember but go something like a full warning, a short warning, Sound effect and something else. Choose the Sound Effect option, click OK and should move to a page saying something like 'Do you want to use this sound' Yes or No.
Click Yes, and away you go.

I found it works better when plugged into charger, may just be something or nothing.
The 710 does the same thing as well.

Last Friday for instance, I had half my camera warnings from PGPSW and half from the onborad TomTom alerts. I managed to change them over this afternoon. Didn't work the other day, but it did today ?? WHY??

A 'real' voice recording can't give you TomTom warnings like 'mobile not connected' etc. Computer generated voices offer more but not as groovy.

My 720 by the way is running version 8 software and version 8 maps. So may be different for you
Robbo66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DinAlt
You are a genius!! Put the files in with Sound (which was empty) and as you say, they all came up in the sounds selection and it was just a case of selecting what you wanted. Thanks very much for your help.
The other correspondent seems to have managed things in a round about way, but your method was so easy.

I do think that the installation instructions with the sound files should be brought up to date as I, and others no doubt, have spent some time trying to install the sounds, albeit without success.[/b]
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbo66 wrote:

I do think that the installation instructions with the sound files should be brought up to date as I, and others no doubt, have spent some time trying to install the sounds, albeit without success.[/b]

I discovered the "sounds folder" method about 18 months ago and have posted instructions here several times, but unfortunately it was never made a "sticky" topic so soon disappeared down the list.

I have also suggested that the "sounds folder" method should now be the preferred method (as it is how TomTom obviously want it to be done, the other method is an undocumented "feature"). However PGPSW disagree and would like people to continue doing it the old way.

Therefore, I'm afraid it is down to people in the forums to point out the alternative method when people have difficulties for whatever reason.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods (and they BOTH do still work for the vast majority of people)...

This method shows you the files on screen and you can audition them,
but unless you rename the sound files (as I did when I made them), you cannot easily see the entire name, making it irritating to choose the right one as the relevant part of the name is at the end.

The "old" method (when it works) means you don't have to select them at all, it happens automatically, but there is no way to test them first and if you answer the "do you want to use this file ?" question wrong, it locks up the machine, requiring a reset.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I have also suggested that the "sounds folder" method should now be the preferred method (as it is how TomTom obviously want it to be done, the other method is an undocumented "feature"). However PGPSW disagree and would like people to continue doing it the old way.

Slightly unfair, we chose to keep the original method as it is simpler, there is no need to manually select each sound file.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbo66 wrote:
I do think that the installation instructions with the sound files should be brought up to date as I, and others no doubt, have spent some time trying to install the sounds, albeit without success.

Brought up to date? The instructions work for me? Where is it incorrect?

A soft reset resolves most issues but its always hard keeping these guides up to dat and there are never enough hours in a day!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

Slightly unfair, we chose to keep the original method as it is simpler, there is no need to manually select each sound file.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I just worry that as it was never an official feature, there will come a time when suddenly the old way doesn't work at all. Then there wil be a mad panic to swap.

If there was a way of seeing the entire filename on the "sounds" screen, the two methods could co-exist with no niggles.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if anyone wants to compile a guide for the other method I'll add it, time is scarce at the moment or else I'd do it myself.

Robbo66, fancy a challenge?
Robbo66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Darren, I am pleased that the instructions worked for you. What I am saying is that they didn't work for me. For instance, they say "if the sound files have been installed correctly ie added to the camera files under Maps directory, then when you set up the voice sounds on the TT unit, it will default to Sounds". I didn't find this so and selecting Sounds just gave me the option of choosing one of the TT default noises. Then, things just went round in circles until I gave up.

I found the method suggested in this posting of putting the .ogg files in the "sounds file" to be very straightforward. Also, by having the files visible on the TT unit, gave the option of listening to the message before choosing it, very useful in my opinion.

What I was referring to by "bringing the instructions up to date" was perhaps it would be a good idea to include this alternative method of installing the sound files in the installation instuctions. Users could then choose which way they want to go. I gather this was muted some time ago in another reply.

I appreciate that it is time consuming keeping things updated but this applies over the entire site. The instructions for installing cameras, voices etc are important for new users and I consider it time well spent if it reduces problems.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbo66 wrote:
Well Darren, I am pleased that the instructions worked for you. What I am saying is that they didn't work for me. For instance, they say "if the sound files have been installed correctly ie added to the camera files under Maps directory, then when you set up the voice sounds on the TT unit, it will default to Sounds". I didn't find this so and selecting Sounds just gave me the option of choosing one of the TT default noises. Then, things just went round in circles until I gave up.

So you didn't follow the advice on a soft reset then? It's in the guide.
Quote:
I appreciate that it is time consuming keeping things updated but this applies over the entire site. The instructions for installing cameras, voices etc are important for new users and I consider it time well spent if it reduces problems.

Indeed so but its time I don't have! You had an issue, I accept that but very few do considering the number of downloads. As I say, I'm happy to add the alternative install procedure if someone has the time to author them.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
And if anyone wants to compile a guide for the other method I'll add it, time is scarce at the moment or else I'd do it myself.

Robbo66, fancy a challenge?

Mine are still on here....
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=416238#416238

Have a look at those and I'll rewrite if/as needed.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a start, thanks Andy, I'll try and take a look tomorrow. I've got a whole bunch of Garmin files that I need to add as well.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found I've got a couple of screen shots too, that I must have used in another reply.
nfy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Sounds in map folder doesn't work anymore Reply with quote

I have a TT one XL and used to work fine with the ogg files placed in the map folder and keeping the same name. I did an update recently when the new maps came out and this function stopped working. Moving them to the sounds folder resolved the problem. Maybe this the preferred method by TT going forward?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: