Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:

jonstatt wrote:
Then, the overhead board said...J21 M1, 16 miles, 20 minutes. This implied lower than 60mph...the TomTom said nothing. And in fact even this was wrong, as I comfortably, without speeding, did it in 15 minutes.

What time was this?
Does anybody know when the M1 J19-21 reopened after Wed's incidents?

I believe I was confusing with my post. I was travelling around the M25 at about 7pm, past the Heathrow variable speed limit zone and then onto M25 J21, which is the junction with the M1. The signboards sometimes give estimates of how long it will take to get from where you are to another junction. The TomTom was more accurate than the signboards.
ricchop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At around 14:00 hours Friday 14th November 2008 I was driving south along the A421 from KEMPSTON, BEDFORDSHIRE to MARSTON MORTAINE, BEDFORDSHIRE a distance of about three miles. The A421 is always busy with the north bound A421 being the busier route from the M1 Junction 13 to BEDFORD. As I drove south bound I could see the north bound side was stationary with waiting traffic stretching all the way from the road works at KEMPSTON back to MARSTON MORTAINE. Although that part of the A421 is slow going it is not very often the A421 stops moving.
When I got to MARSTON MORTAINE I looked at the Browse Traffic Map on my TomTom 540 and I was pleased to see the A421 north bound queuing traffic correctly shown all the way from MARSTON MORTAINE to KEMPSTON with the south bound A421 showing clear. I could also see a small amount of waiting traffic on the south bound A421 at M1 junction 13. Out of interest I Navigated back to KEMPSTON. I was now shocked to see my 540 navigate me back on to the north bound A421 in to the waiting three mile traffic queue with a delay of just three minutes. There ae plenty of quicker traffic free routes from MARSTON MORTAINE to KEMPSTON and three miles of stationary traffic would cause more than a three minute delay. I then drove on a small B road for about a mile through MARSTON MORTAINE towards KEMPSTON from where I could see the waiting traffic on the A421 and my TT 540 was now showing a two minute delay! so much for HD Traffic. Two hours would have been more like it...
magicdave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least your HD Traffic is actually working. All I have is the yellow warning triangle for 3 days now Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
SydEx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Road Works! Reply with quote

Up until today, I have been very impressed with Live Traffic. However....

At Didcot, for the whole of the day, the A4130 has been closed at a particular point for bridge repairs. This was notified weeks ago, and diversion signs were put up overnight.

I drove past the location twice today. On Live Traffic - nothing! TomTom tried to navigate me through the closure in both directions.

Very disappointing!
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a similar experience. Locations with roadworks and road closures etc. that are present on my 730 are not on my 540.

Stuck in traffic due to roadworks today for about 30min. The roadworks have been there for a few weeks now and are fairly extensive. Not a single notice on HDT, in fact for some strange reason it was reporting congestion 2/3 miles up the road where in fact the road was clear ad not where the problem was. Even after the 30min of sitting in the traffic with the 540, I would have imagined I'd have seen at least some warning/notice of this incident, their [Tomtom] tracking my SIM in the 540 for this reason after all are they not? (to collate my speed/distance/time etc.)

730 was showing the roadworks AND the congestion.

Can't win them all I guess. Rolling Eyes
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
hailstorm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Road Works! Reply with quote

SydEx wrote:
Up until today, I have been very impressed with Live Traffic. However....

At Didcot, for the whole of the day, the A4130 has been closed at a particular point for bridge repairs. This was notified weeks ago, and diversion signs were put up overnight.

I drove past the location twice today. On Live Traffic - nothing! TomTom tried to navigate me through the closure in both directions.

Very disappointing!

hmm well road closures aren't traffic problems as far as hd traffic is concerned. It doesn't seem to pick up that no cars are actually driving through a certain road because its closed.

There are roads that may hardly get driven down. Can't really start marking them as closed if they aren't. Although I probably wouldn't care as some roads are avoided for good reason (mud tracks, single lane roads etc).
jase_31
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But HDT is suppose to combine the existing tmc traffic data, with other sources vodafone etc. Therefore closures of this nature should be notified by the Highways Agency (and even shown on basic tmc).

HDT should be everyting Standard traffic is, and more.[/quote]
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: TMC Vs HDT Reply with quote

Forgive me if this has already been asked elsewhere.

I used to have GPRS Traffic (same as TMC but via GPRS). I never found it accurate so stopped the subscription.

Question: If Tomtom get upto date Live infor for the x40 series devices then why wouldn't they transmit the more accurate info via TMC or GPRS.

It does seem to me from the above posts that HDT is still as unaccurate as TMC. Is this because not enough people have subscribed to yet another Tomtom upgrade?
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Road Works! Reply with quote

hailstorm wrote:
hmm well road closures aren't traffic problems as far as hd traffic is concerned. It doesn't seem to pick up that no cars are actually driving through a certain road because its closed.

Yes they are. Despite connectivity problems, mine successfully told me about the M1 closure on Weds night (see earlier posts in this thread), and routed me around it. In fact, when I planned the route, it said "your route includes a closed road - would you like to reroute?"
SydEx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Road Works! Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:
hailstorm wrote:

Yes they are. Despite connectivity problems, mine successfully told me about the M1 closure on Weds night (see earlier posts in this thread), and routed me around it. In fact, when I planned the route, it said "your route includes a closed road - would you like to reroute?"

So HD Traffic has the ability to warn of road closures, and route you around them. It is just a pity that they clearly don't bother to input all of the avaialable data from the Highways Agency into the traffic system.

Both my problem mentioned above, and that mentioned by another contributer, were on A roads, and involved significant diversions.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone grab a frame from the launch video that shows the map where HD traffic is implemented, and where not? Me, I think that TomTom should release it anyway as HD is working well for some people, and not well for others. Perhaps this is because they are in/out of the proper areas. By just pretending it is working everywhere, they are getting themselves a bad reputation.

I certainly expect that the old stuff should still be included, but maybe they don't as it was unreliable. But a road closure should surely be included.

This had better be sorted soon or they'll have a lot of people not paying subscriptions.
magicdave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 4 and still no Traffic. I'm beginning to get highly frustrated by the little yellow warning triangle.

Is Reading just a black hole as far as HD Traffic is concerned or have I missed something obvious. Didn't think I needed to activate anything - it should just work automatically at switch on. I've already established the Sim and network connection is ok ... so why doesn't it work ??? Grrrrrrrrrrr
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Can someone grab a frame from the launch video that shows the map where HD traffic is implemented, and where not?

I don't have the launch videos or screen grabs, however there are screen grab comparisons of HD and GPRS traffic on pages two and three of this thread.

hailstorm wrote:

There are roads that may hardly get driven down. Can't really start marking them as closed if they aren't. Although I probably wouldn't care as some roads are avoided for good reason (mud tracks, single lane roads etc).

I don't think this is how HD traffic/Tom Tom will conclude that a road is closed anyway. Not purely based on whether traffic is driving down it otherwise there would be many MANY roads 'Closed'!
I'd assume they use information from local highway and trunk road agencies for coming to this conclusion, and voda SIMS for traffic movement/flow/speed etc.

I think the point SydEx is trying to make is, despite the advantages of tomtom being able to monitor traffic flow/speed via the VodaSIM and display it on HDT, they are still missing crucial information, like road closures in his case.

SydEx wrote:

......It is just a pity that they clearly don't bother to input all of the available data from the Highways Agency into the traffic system.

Both my problem mentioned above, and that mentioned by another contributer, were on A roads, and involved significant diversions.

GREAT! So I'm NOT alone in experiencing this.

I've already brought this up (missing information on HD thats present on SD traffic) with Tom Tom and they have given SOME acknowledgment that there appears to be an issue here.

A search back a few pages of this thread will show some screen grabs that give an idea of what I'm experiencing by the term 'missing information'

Laughing Out Louda wrote:

Question: If Tomtom get upto date Live infor for the x40 series devices then why wouldn't they transmit the more accurate info via TMC or GPRS.

I'd imagine it's to do with the amount of band with/data that would be used to update with the frequency that HD is supposed to update. That and if the HD Traffic standard of detail was available to those on GPRS, there would be less of an uptake to buy the new devices!

Laughing Out Louda wrote:

It does seem to me from the above posts that HDT is still as inaccurate as TMC. Is this because not enough people have subscribed to yet another Tomtom upgrade?

I'm beginning to agree, however I wouldn't go as far to say TMC, but perhaps not as informative as GPRS is right now.

Guinness2702 wrote:

.....Despite connectivity problems, mine successfully told me about the M1 closure on Weds night (see earlier posts in this thread), and routed me around it. In fact, when I planned the route, it said "your route includes a closed road - would you like to reroute?"

Lucky you! Smile

I've yet to see anything other than "Slow moving traffic" or "Congestion" on mine.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
stealthdevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touch wood, mine is still performing pretty well. I have yet to come across a traffic incident not reported.

The morning rush hour is accounted for in the IQRoutes, I still manage to arrive within the time specified. If the rush hour is slightly more in places where traffic is typical, the HD traffic picks it up. For example, this morning the queue on my typical route was longer, and HD traffic picked it up with an extra 1 min delay.

As for queue lengths, I'm impressed with how accurate the data is. As the queue gets longer, the HD traffic updates with the new length which is pretty much spot on..

Apart from 1 outage of HD traffic (i noticed an improvement after the outage so maybe it was maintenance), I can't fault it.

Lane closures are something which isn't being reported, but I remember with TMC a lane closure showed up 3 days after it had cleared. I'm guessing tomtom does not have much faith in the other sources so as they work to make the information more accurate, they are omitting it. Logically, so long as the lane closures do not cause significant delay, then it's still free flowing traffic, and if traffic builds up due to a lane closure, then no doubt the hd traffic will report the congestion..
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't work out how to get an image uploaded, but the map is really very interesting. Mainly because there is no key. There are yellow parts and there are green parts. Green covers the Glasgow to Edinburgh and Aberdeen area (not West of Glasgow). Green then covers Cumbria. Probably Manchester and Birmingham. Cardiff area of South Wales. Some place north of London, perhaps Milton Keynes. Bath to Poole area. North Devon, south Cornwall. There's a hint of green in central London, and on the East coast by London.

Everywhere else is yellow.

Now, this either means that London and the main motorways have no coverage, or that the areas listed above have no coverage. And if the latter is true, then the whole of Wales and North of Scotland has coverage, but not some major cities.

The text says "currently covers 80% of all major roads in the UK", "Coverage for HD feed being improved every week to cover 100% of the Vodafone network".
[/img]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: