Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfreeze wrote:
Guys if you don't mind could you start another post for other faults.

I'm trying to keep this for the voice problem so its easy to refer to and also see how many people are suffering this particular problem.

I sent an e.mail to TT Support, telling them that Kate is having problems speaking. Here is the reply:

Quote:

Response (Richard C. (UK)) 14/11/2008 11.58 AM
Dear Mr 59,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.
Your reference for your query is 08****-00****.

There may be a corruption on the voice file please try the instructions below.

Please ensure that you have Home 2.x installed on your computer. You can download it from http://www.tomtom.com/home

To download and install the voices, please do the following:-
- Connect your TomTom to your computer.
- Open TomTom Home and click on 'Update My device' e.g. 'update my one', or 'update my go'.
- If no updates are available, click on 'Add maps, traffic and voices / Voices'.
- Choose the voices you require, we suggest Jane and Tim as the UK voices, and then click on 'Add'

If you have any further challenges with installing your voices, we can send you a manual installation guide.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Could it be that they are recommending that I use non TTS voices as they know that there is not enough memory to rum TTS voices?
Since I had all my other problems, which are related, I have installed the latest Firmware and the latest map, but no POI's, apart from our cameras. I have only had a short drive today, but the speech (with Kate), was crystal clear.

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotch_whisky wrote:
DinAlt wrote:
Done a short trial using thg the X30 voices on my 720 and it seems to cure the stuttering - not really had chance to try it properly as I'm working at home today - will give it a proper run on monday.

DinAlt

I think DinAlt is on to something here. I have just replaced the "Loquendo TTS" folder on my 520 with one from a 530.
The free RAM has gone up from 7MB to 19MB. It works perfectly in DEMO mode. Will give it a try this evening and report back.

I have just done a 30 mile drive which included some quite complicated double roundabouts and "Kate" didn't stumble over her words once.

I am therefore almost certain that the version of "Loquendo TTS" included with the 520 8.3 download is to blame.

I got the 530 version of "Loquendo TTS" from a Tomtom 530 belonging to a family member.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotch_whisky wrote:
I am therefore almost certain that the version of "Loquendo TTS" included with the 520 8.3 download is to blame.

The actual update to 8,3 only contains a couple of files that update the LoquendoTTS folder, most of the files and folders remain unchanged from when you first purchased the device.

The x30 does use different files to the x20 for the TTS so this might explain the difference you have seen (or rather heard) by putting the x30 folder on to the x20 device, if this is a conclusive fix substantiated by a number of users to this issue then TomTom could make the newer TTS folder available via download if they choose, but it is a rather large file set (circa 375MB) - Mike
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, i only use computer voices and when i first noticed the problem i did try another comp voice (Dave USA) and he suffered the same problems.

I have to say the fault is really intermitent as apart from once this morning Kate has been perfect all day.

With regard to the Locqendo fix, are you guys just copying the one file over from a x30 to a x20 unit.

Is there anyway someone could send a x30 file. Would this be breaking any copyright or licence laws?
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if this is a conclusive fix substantiated by a number of users to this issue then TomTom could make the newer TTS folder available via download if they choose, but it is a rather large file set (circa 375MB) - Mike

My Loquendo TTS folder in the Navcore 8.3 backup on my hard drive is only 88.7Mb Mike... only has Kate and Simon in there though...

Echoing Mr Freezes question... could a copy of the GoX30 Loquendo folder/files be made available for download... I quite like the "pointy" POI icons... Very Happy

Alan
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are actually discussign three different files sets here:

1. Current X20 TTS - total size of folder for one voice = 47 MB (V6.9)

2. Current X30 TTS - total size of folder = 47.8 MB (V7)

3. The original X20 (possibly X10) TTS - total size of folder including one voice = 315 MB (don't know version number but suspect 6.x)

I've only had time to do a quick run but set 2 above worked perfectly on my 720. I've no idea how the third set would work as they are on a friends TomTom and wouldn't fit on mine - i suspect that the problem is the compression on the X20 voices is too high nad it's causing problems when they're being unpacked - but until i've had chance to give teh X30 voices a good run can't be sure it's fixed the problem.
BTW the map is still jerky so it's only a quick fix to allow the use of full road directions not a complete cure. have to say I'm starting to regret buying the 720 after so many years with my PDA - which still works perfectly (although it doesn't have all the whistles and bells - however since half the whistles seem blocked the magic soon dimmed on the 720 for me)

DiinAlt
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't see anyone with One's or the XLs complaining........no TTS, no BT or FM....just map guidance......

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
oolaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been suffering the same slow downs & text to speech distortion reported by others after upgrading my GO 520 to the 8.30 software.

After reporting this to support I got a reply suggesting that my Loquento folder may have become corrupted during the upgrade & to restore to a backup.

To this reply I thought .. yeah right but infact after restoring just the Loquento folder from a backup made before the upgrade all seems well again.

I will have opportunity to further stress test this next week.
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted the "Loquento TTS" folder and copied the 530 one in its place.
I can confirm it is 89MB in size with Kate and Simon. No other changes are required.

I didn't notice any glitches on the display. I have a 60 mile drive tomorrow so we shall see.

I hope this fix is a cure but as the problem appears to be intermittent only time will tell.
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer voices don't work at all on my 920, even after rebooting, etc. Plenty of memory too. Other voices are ok.
Doug
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Go530 LoquendoTTS folder with two voices (Kate & Simon) in 8.01 is 95,491,704 bytes and in 8.3 is 95,497,140 bytes. Maybe the issue is older files being smaller and not just coming from a Go530.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlandEi wrote:
My Loquendo TTS folder in the Navcore 8.3 backup on my hard drive is only 88.7Mb Mike... only has Kate and Simon in there though...
My unit has eight voices installed which is why the LoquendoTTS folder is over 300MB, I don't need spare space on my 930 so I just left them on the unit from day 01 - Mike
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the loquendo file is looking like a fix, can anyone send me one?

All i need is Kate comp voice.

Will this be classed as piracy or licence infringement?

I'm not asking for maps or anything!

Is there a way we could download it from a link or something?
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google is your friend!

Other less respectable forums may well have links on them to a x30 voice set...........

I would try searching for something along the lines of

730 Loquendo TTS voices tags

and maybe the second link could be helpful

All at your own risk of course.

Andy
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oolaa wrote:
I have been suffering the same slow downs & text to speech distortion reported by others after upgrading my GO 520 to the 8.30 software.

After reporting this to support I got a reply suggesting that my Loquento folder may have become corrupted during the upgrade & to restore to a backup.

To this reply I thought .. yeah right but infact after restoring just the Loquento folder from a backup made before the upgrade all seems well again.

I will have opportunity to further stress test this next week.

Same thing here after updating my 720. I have just re-installed the loquento folder from a backup, let's see what happens.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 5 of 49

Jump to: