Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO x20/x30 Series Update: 8.300(9732) Now Available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO x20/x30 Series Update: 8.300(9732) Now Available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you do the install twice ? I thought you could only download to the device once ? Or is that only for the free 30 day thing ?

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
jonmat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Just copy the map folder in total to the PC then to the memory card, once you have it installed on the SD card simply remove the Map folder from the device. The application voices and all the other files/ folders can stay where they are the x20/ x30 units can share memory between the Inernal Flash and SD based memory - Mike

What is the benefit of this, is the Go like a PC, the more free space on the drive the better it runs?
cutslick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to the install of both Navcore and the new map I had backed up my 920T (Navcore 8.010 and Western Europe 8.10). When I began experiencing the problems everybody else seemed to have I restored my 920T with my last backup. Then I selected just the latest map update (8.15) via Home to see if it would run with Navcore 8.010. Didn't need to wait for the download at that point because Home automatically saves it in you Home folder (usually in 'My documents'). Then when I found I couldn't even access the new map with 8.010 I simply asked Home to update my device again and 8.3 was installed.
Sorry if any of this is obvious but I thought I'd just go through it step by step Smile
Jackaws
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Software Update - 8.300 Reply with quote

Hi,

Having read the other posts, I've since connected my 520T to TT Home and have not been offered the software update. I have since disconnected, used my TT and re-connected. Still no offer of an update.

I'm running TT Home v 2.4.0.104
Current TT Software version is 7.481

Any suggestions?? Confused
Jackaws
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Software Update - 8.300 Reply with quote

I've connected my TT 520 to TT Home twice today and have not been offered the software update.

Any suggestions? Confused
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Software Update - 8.300 Reply with quote

Jackaws wrote:
I've connected my TT 520 to TT Home twice today and have not been offered the software update.

Any suggestions? Confused

Personally, I would suggest that you leave your 520 running with 7.481 for the moment.

v8.300 appears to be causing problems with jerky map movements, interrupted and breaking up audible navigation instructions to name but a couple of things.

I for one updated to new software and new maps, but very quickly 'upgraded' back to the previous versions and several other people appear to have done the same thing.

This might be a prime example of that old chestnut "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cutslick wrote:
Prior to the install of both Navcore and the new map I had backed up my 920T (Navcore 8.010 and Western Europe 8.10). When I began experiencing the problems everybody else seemed to have I restored my 920T with my last backup. Then I selected just the latest map update (8.15) via Home to see if it would run with Navcore 8.010. Didn't need to wait for the download at that point because Home automatically saves it in you Home folder (usually in 'My documents'). Then when I found I couldn't even access the new map with 8.010 I simply asked Home to update my device again and 8.3 was installed.
Sorry if any of this is obvious but I thought I'd just go through it step by step Smile

Not at all. I appreciate it. I'm new to all this TT Home thing....

But I think I will be waiting a while. I will download 8.15 map if it saves it to a folder and I can keep it but just not install it until son of 8.3 is released....

mattcu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This might be a prime example of that old chestnut "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

No, far from a prime example of that particular chestnut I'd say. Wink

8.3 has caused problems but to suggest 7.481 was 'not broke' is blurring the boundaries of fact and fiction.

7.481 was in fact riddled with it's own bugs. They just happen to be mostly different from 8.3, since TomTom clearly like to inject a little variety into their torture of us.

One day our TT's might just work...
cutslick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
Not at all. I appreciate it. I'm new to all this TT Home thing....

But I think I will be waiting a while. I will download 8.15 map if it saves it to a folder and I can keep it but just not install it until son of 8.3 is released....

Topgazza, you will have to install 8.15 through home for it to be saved on your PC. So if you want to revert back to 8.10 I would advise a full backup of your TomTom using windows explorer before opting to install it. Again I'm sure you know about this but as always better safe than sorry.

After trying the 8.3 and 8.15 combination again just now I'm pretty convinced it has lost some of its slickness of operation in other words the map seems sluggish and slow to react to direction change. I think I'm going to go back to 8.010 and 8.10 for now.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah..right, thanks. It will all be clear when I have my Tom Tom and start pressing buttons....

I will give it a go.....

thedragonslair
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Hands free Bluetooth Reply with quote

Warning to those who use the Bluetooth hands free!!

I have updated to the 8.3 software on my 730 and wish I hadn’t, a very useful feature of the older software was the ability to toggle the hands free option on and off via the shortcut on the main navigation screen. This option is no longer available in the quick menu preferences. So if you want to pull over or hand your phone to a passenger to make or receive a call and you want to deactivate the Bluetooth, you either have to switch Tomtom off or press the screen 10 times instead of the previous twice and then 10 times to switch it on again. It’s a real pain!

I have spoken to Tomtom customer services today and the very helpful person seemed surprised that it was not in the quick menu as an option anymore, he could not explain it, his advice to me was to downgrade to the last version. Come on Tomtom, you are supposed to improve road safety; it’s now a whole lot more dangerous to do a simple thing!
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the shortcut is a niggle for me as well, I use the bluetooth connection all and every day.
At first I thought it was me and the settings, but after fiddling around for the last week or so, the shortcut is not there.

Sad
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed 8.3 on my GO920. Not used it in anger yet, but I noticed a few minor changes that do not appear to have been mentioned in this thread:

1 When running in the dock, and operating from TT Home the device no longer displays a satellite signal. It now displays "DEMO" rather than the number of satellites. Not a problem but another unannouced change

2 Planning a route from UK to Netherlands, it not only asks if you want to avoid toll roads (all previous versions), but now asks you if want to avoid ferries. Never seen this before.

I did say yes to avoid ferries to see what TT did. After much processing, TT correctly said "No route found All the possible routes involve a ferry". Cool
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
anthp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: new navcore 8.13 Reply with quote

can anyone tell me how to get the last version of navecore before 8.3 lost my backup, speech is unusable on 8.3 contacted tomtom support reinstalled everything like they said but no better.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: new navcore 8.13 Reply with quote

anthp wrote:
can anyone tell me how to get the last version of navecore before 8.3
.... lost my backup,

Keep two backups? Cool

Sorry, couldn't resist... I assume you are keeping Windows Explorer backups, not ones made by "Home"?
Make another one NOW! (before you do anything else).

Anyway, if you downloaded previous versions of software using Home, they should still be on your PC. In Home go to add Maps, Voices etc. and look for "Items on my Computer". The software downloads should be there, but you will probably have to remove the software you have got now before it will let you put an old one back.

Alternatively, another way to get where you want, would be to remove all the loose files on the TomTom's root directory (don't touch any folders) then copy the relevant files manually from Oldboy's archive HERE.

You don't say what machine you are using but guessing it is an x20 or x30, you want the v7.221 files.

That is not the latest v7 software, but it is one of the best in my opinion. you can either leave it there, or if you connect to Home after you've installed it, it should offer you v7.481 before it offers you any v8 versions.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: