Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, I just clicked on Browse map which is set with traffic option
GO 920 Dead
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is HD Traffic down again or is it just me

Wednesday 6.40 pm!

Just getting Yellow triangle..
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Not just you Reply with quote

Hi, Yes HD Traffic IS down again!!!

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
stealthdevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was patchy at about 5.45pm and then it went down... Not impressed.
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats just great.

Thats now 2 days out of 4 with it down during part or all of rush hour journey!
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:
Is HD Traffic down again or is it just me

Wednesday 6.40 pm!

Just getting Yellow triangle..

No, I think it's really down this time. Just my bloody luck - I finally fixed mine at lunchtimeish, and have been watching the closed M1 in Leics all day on it. As soon as I get in my car (16:30) the traffic goes down! Fortunately, it did come back on about half an hour or so later, and directed me around the closure, but then it went off again, just before I got home (about 18:15 ish).
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:

I could have sworn I saw traffic in Edinburgh, but then I do remember somebody posting screenys in this forum.

Guility, page 2/3 of this thread IIRC.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:
Thats just great.

Thats now 2 days out of 4 with it down during part or all of rush hour journey!

Is anybody keeping a list of dates, times, and durations of when traffic is going down? Perhaps what their location is also?

It could perhaps show a trend worthy of feeding back to TT.

On the subject of HD traffic scope, I'm in Dundee and the furthest reported traffic incidents I have seen is around of carlisle and Newcastle.

I know if you connect a device with GPRS traffic to HOME and go to 'Set current location' then update traffic it will update the traffic from your newly set current location, regardless of where yu are actually located.
I haven't found a way to do this on the 540 certainly.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
SydEx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I start, let me say that I do not work for TomTom! I am just an ordinary owner of a 540.

Reading the threads above, and in my own experience, it seems likely that TomTom only reports traffic within about 200 miles of your current position. But, is this so bad?

If you ask TomTom to plan your route for, say, a 400 mile journey, and it knows of a traffic jam at the 250 mile point, should it replan the route to take account of this? It will, however, take some 4-5 hours to get to that event. By the time you get there, the traffic could have cleared.

What I am trying to say is that traffic problems a great distance away need not be considered, as they could change considerably by the time you get to them.

Could this be why they are not shown on the map?
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is definately odd with Traffic.

Or maybe I am lucky.

Just browsed my map with traffic option selected (11pm), and I am getting traffic reports for as far away as Paris, but nothing above Leeds.

See screen dump

I am somewhat baffled

Edit - I only have GPRS
GO 920 Dead
ziro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD Traffic was good for me tonight.

It pinpointed congestion on a minor road - which was suprising.

Pinpointed congestion on the A14 and nearly got the delay right (but there had been an accident, during or causing the delay, not sure so i'll let it off)

Both times the location and length was almost perfect. The fact it alerted me of the traffic on the minor road really impressed me.

The IQR estimation was almost spot on too, only 5 minutes out over 60 minutes, 1 accident and rush hour congestion.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still find it fascinating watching the result of congestion following from an accident....move round the motorway. It doesn't stay where the accident was...it gradually shifts and disperses over time.

You can see this because you see the distance to the congestion not go down even though you are travelling towards it at 60-70mph.

I am not saying Traffic HD is perfect. It clearly still needs some work...but so far it has been smack on in terms of estimates and congestion location.

In fact, the M25 variable speed limit sign said 50, incident in road. I thought the TomTom should have warned me...but in fact there was nothing there. People start to ignore those variable speed limits if there isn't a good reason for them!

Then, the overhead board said...J21 M1, 16 miles, 20 minutes. This implied lower than 60mph...the TomTom said nothing. And in fact even this was wrong, as I comfortably, without speeding, did it in 15 minutes.

But the TomTom did correctly report the only bit of congestion which really did exist.
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ziro wrote:
It pinpointed congestion on a minor road - which was suprising.

That surprises me too, because when it redirected me around the closed M1 on Weds night, it did pinpoint one queue, but not a couple of others that I was in (difficult to tell if those other queues were normal and IQ routes had taken them into account, but since my arrival time was steadily increasing, I suspect not).

jonstatt wrote:
People start to ignore those variable speed limits if there isn't a good reason for them!

What, you mean like those standard matrix warning signs, which apart from when they're off and supposed to be off are wrong 70% of the time? Laughing Laughing Laughing

jonstatt wrote:
Then, the overhead board said...J21 M1, 16 miles, 20 minutes. This implied lower than 60mph...the TomTom said nothing. And in fact even this was wrong, as I comfortably, without speeding, did it in 15 minutes.

What time was this?
Does anybody know when the M1 J19-21 reopened after Wed's incidents?
Gary_W
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 740 live arrived from Handtec yesterday (thanks, folks Smile )

It is a huge step up from my last satnav but as that was a PDA with a dead speaker and 4 year old maps that doesn't tell you much.

Traffic shows up nicely, though I haven't yet been far enough to test it out for acuracy.

My comment really is on this 'what should Traffic tell you and what should IQ routes tell you' question. And for me I'm not sure I overly trust IQ routes already. My reasoning is as follows.

From my house, I have two sensible routes to go towards the southbound M1 and one sensible route to go Northbound. Northbound is always fine. Locally, the roads going south are fine apart from rush hours during the week. At these times, both routes take 25 mins for a 3 mile stretch. Consistantly. I know this as I've lived here for 4 years now and tried various ways around this. It is the kind of traffic where you sit there for 2-3 mins, move a few yards and then repeat to fade.

At rush-hour, I would reasonably expect IQ routes to tell me that these routes are horrible and adjust the journey time accordingly and (if it can find one) suggest an alternative. It doesn't. It adds 2 minutes for rush hour vs my old PDA. This morning, traffic showed nothing on either road either (both are A roads which I believed covered). No, I wasn't on either road but if they weren't snarled up it would be due to everyone parking up to look at the flying pigs overhead.

So if Traffic doesn't report it and IQ routes doesn't consider it an issue, neither is giving me realistic data for my local area. Am I missing some deeper point here as elsewhere locally traffic seems to be reporting 1 minute delays!?
magicdave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 940 arrived from Amazon yesterday (13th Nov) and in the evening I switched it on for the first time. Initially everything including Traffic seemed to be working fine. Then after about 30 mins I started getting the yellow warning triangle saying traffic wasn't working (and error message 2031). At this point I checked to see if other live services were OK. Weather downloaded perfectly so Sim MUST be working fine. Also 'Network' screen showed status as Connected.

Tried again today both morning and evening with no change so assume HD Traffic service is down (I'm based in Reading - if that makes a difference !).

Did find a statement buried in the support pages on TomTom website saying that they are working to restore Traffic service, so I guess I just have to wait for it to start working again. Grrrrrr !!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: