Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO x20/x30 Series Update: 8.300(9732) Now Available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO x20/x30 Series Update: 8.300(9732) Now Available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I updated my 920 to Navcore 8.3 (and maps to 815.2003), all backed up with explorer before and after downlaods.

After updating I discovered:

1)
All favourites and settings lost - but all POI's copied. No problem I thought, just copy the MapSettings.cfg over from my back up.

Unfortunately, that failed, as my 920 just cycled to splash screen and then rebooted repeatedly. Reset did not cure it nor did switching on and off.

Fortunately, docking the unit in its cradle and switching it on and letting it boot up, I was asked if I wanted to connect to Computer, so I was able to put back the MapSettings.cfg file I had replaced.

After that, all worked again. (Thanks for the long ago advice which shows value of backing up before and after updating).

All I had to do was set up all my Speed camera warnings again and luckily I had saved my favourites as a POI file.

The next problem I have:

2)
My preference is to use Kates voice, but I have noticed that she is not pronouncing names as good as she was e.g. instead of 'March' she now says 'Mark' ( Go right on roundabout 3rd exit towards MARK).

Has anyone else experienced this?
GO 920 Dead
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
I thought I had read a post that there was a better compass in that you could show N,S,E, or W directions, but I can't find that option. I just have the same pathetic thing that came with v8.010.

I think you may have seen reference to including the direction on the status bar - Under Status bar Preferences check 'Direction'

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading all this stuff I am not going to update my Navcore firmware. I get my 720 today and I will see whats on it but I have the 30 days to update my maps but the thought of putting 8.3 Navcore on and screwing up voices and all the other stuff being mentioned is a worry. I know I won't be able to make use of the 8.15 maps until I do....

I wonder if TomTom is a flash of customer care issue another bug fix before my 30 days are up for the maps.......

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you were to do a Windows Backup of the original, then upgrade it all to the latest, see how it works for you and then make your decision from there.

If you have the original backup, and you then create a different backup of the latest firmware and maps, you will be safe in the knowledge that you have both so can then have the versions that work for you.

I have had none of the problems mentioned here on my device (920).

Also the fact that your 720 is going to be brand new with no settings to lose would also make me give it a go.

Cheers

Carl
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I'll give that a go. I intended to make a backup up anyway ...no point if you're not going to use it.... Very Happy

As you say I will have nothing on my 720 other than what it comes with. It will be ineteresting see what happens. Copy the SD card...do the upgrade....if it plays up copy back again.

I note some people have recently got their 720s and were having problems with the voices distorting and cutting out after doing the upgrade.

carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weird thing with all things TomTom is that "certain people find problems with..." now all Electronic Devices I have come across before act in a certain way, the device should not have the choice, but oh no, not with these bad boys!!!!

As an example, a few weeks ago everyone else's Mapshares were disappearing, mine stayed exactly where they were and never went anywhere, now all I did was what everyone else did and plug the TT into my PC.

The thing I have learnt from this site (one of the many in fact) is that you always make a backup, play around at your hearts content, but you always have that working Sat Nav sat in a folder on your PC waiting to be brought back to life, if it all goes pear shaped.

Cheers

Carl

Last edited by carl_the_cobbler on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just docked my 520 today and got offered the new software and map.

Of course as I had copied lot of music onto internal memory not enough free space was present...

TTH list items you can remove to free up space but it did not seem to include the music files?

Deleted manually, clicked back and then install and all went okay.

I am still suprised TTH cannot save and copy over to the new map all your user settings (including your home location).

Surely it must be so easy for them to achieve and avoid user confusion after a new map is loaded?

One odd thing my one came back on with Bluetooth diasbled...

HummerUK
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Carl says you would have thought that ALL devices would have the same problems with bugs etc...at the same time. Very unusual that they don't. Maybe TTs have different chip suppliers that are all supposed to be compatible but of course rarely are.

Good thing is the massive breadth of knowledge here as TTs "real" support.....

Not sure whether I'm excited or twitchy......

zildac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reboot with BT remote connected Reply with quote

Hi,

I am now running 8.30 + 815 map on a 730T and experienced the exact same problem yesterday, the unit was only up for approxiamtely 30 mins before it rebooted. I will be using it for approx 4 hours tommorow so will report back my findings.

Regards,

Z.

hijacker wrote:
Been using my 930 today with the update.

With my bluetooth remote connected, the unit crashed and rebooted itself 4 times over a period of about 1.5 hours.

With the bluetooth not connected, over a similar time span, there were no failures.

Anyone else got this problem or solutions??
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HummerUK wrote:
Just docked my 520 today and got offered the new software and map.

Of course as I had copied lot of music onto internal memory not enough free space was present...

TTH list items you can remove to free up space but it did not seem to include the music files?

Deleted manually, clicked back and then install and all went okay.

I am still suprised TTH cannot save and copy over to the new map all your user settings (including your home location).

Surely it must be so easy for them to achieve and avoid user confusion after a new map is loaded?

One odd thing my one came back on with Bluetooth diasbled...

HummerUK

sorry for being off topic, just recognised your pic, how is the TIVO going?
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: AAArrrrgggghhhh Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

That's not the reason in this case.
There is a ruling that transmissions in the broadcast FM band must be continuous not intermittent. Rightly or wrongly, TomTom have interpreted this to mean they cannot send occasional navigation messages over FM, but music is OK.

Where TomTom have failed yet again, is completely failing to TELL people why they have done th things they have done.

I understand totally where you're coming from Andy, but as I now have a PND without the very functionality that attracted me to it in the first place, and as there is some question about TT's interpretation of the FM rules, and as I was not informed of the change (as you point out), I might be forgiven for suspecting ...and having a bit of a wobble about the perception... that there is currently more care given to changes and the more florid enhancements - bells, whistles and hooters - than to contunuity and customer care at TomTom. What would it take for TT to at least detail the changes/withdrawals/'enhancements' relating to new software being offered on the relevant link within Home? (rhetorical question... in the vain hope that TT will pick it up and run with it Laughing )
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Reboot with BT remote connected Reply with quote

zildac wrote:
Hi,

I am now running 8.30 + 815 map on a 730T and experienced the exact same problem yesterday, the unit was only up for approxiamtely 30 mins before it rebooted. I will be using it for approx 4 hours tommorow so will report back my findings.

Regards,

Z.

hijacker wrote:
Been using my 930 today with the update.

With my bluetooth remote connected, the unit crashed and rebooted itself 4 times over a period of about 1.5 hours.

With the bluetooth not connected, over a similar time span, there were no failures.

Anyone else got this problem or solutions??

Try doing a hard reset on the device, my remote wouldn't work at all after the software update (although it worked fine before) - a hard reset cured it.

Andy
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is standard practice in most software companies to actually list what the upgrade does...in many cases so people can make their minds up if they actually need Uruguayan text for POIs in Glasgow Very Happy or not before downloading the update.

Its a lesson that TT and its customers would do well to copy. Say the next map uppgrade offers better POI icons and a wider choice of different colours for roads...but nothing else you might decide to not bother.

anthp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: upgrade?? 920t Reply with quote

since upgrading app and map to ver 8.300 and map to ver 815.2003 920t the speech (computer voice) now breaks up towards the end of longer phrases the last words are uninteligable unplugging the TMC receiver improves things a little.

anyone esle got the same

anth
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several people I think. I'm going to do the Navcore first to 8.3. Then try the sucker out and see if I get the same problem. If all is Ok......I might just leave the maps for as long as possible..30 days to see if TT issue a fix. If its the Navcore by itself then I'll restore my back up and wait.

If thats the case I will contact TT and request an extension of the 30 days, if they don't supply a fix within that time, as i will tell them it is unacceptable to expect me to use my free upgrade to install defective software.

Some people are not having a problem...not sure if its mainly the 930 type higher end devices or a mix.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: