Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:
GPRS seems a little better about 120 miles each way

HD seems the same as GPRS about 120 miles in each direction.

HD has full national coverage, regardless of your current location, and I thought GPRS did too.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:
Depends where in the UK you are.

the TMC only shows the incidents trasmitted on the station in use (About 80 miles or so from your current location in each direction

Thanks for reply about distances, but it does raise another question.

I am curious as to why TomTom is reporting traffic problems in Wells, Somerset and around Calais (Both over 200 miles from me), but to North traffic delay reporting stops at approx 134 miles.

Do TomTom zone areas and I may be in an odd spot as far as reporting goes and receiving several 'zoned areas'
GO 920 Dead
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick_1959 wrote:

Do TomTom zone areas and I may be in an odd spot as far as reporting goes and receiving several 'zoned areas'

AFAIK, TT do not zone anything. The only zoning which occurs is when you use RDS-TMC, where any transmitter will only broadcast local information, (due I believe to bandwidth restrictions as much as anything else).

AFAIK, data supplied directly by TT via PLUS or LIVE provides national coverage.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD is NOT full UK coverage, from Blackpool I cannot see traffic in London or South of London, and when in London I cannot see as far as North Manchester. The coverage is adequate though and provides Traffic data covering around 2 to 3 hours driving time durring which your location will change and so will the data supplied to the device.

HD covers approx. 1,6 times the distance covered when using RDS in the UK from my experiances - Mike
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
HD is NOT full UK coverage, from Blackpool I cannot see traffic in London or South of London, and when in London I cannot see as far as North Manchester. The coverage is adequate though and provides Traffic data covering around 2 to 3 hours driving time durring which your location will change and so will the data supplied to the device.

HD covers approx. 1,6 times the distance covered when using RDS in the UK from my experiances - Mike

Strange, because (when my device is or rather was working) I can/could see traffic in Edinburgh whilst in St. Albans (which for the unenlightened is about 20 miles north of London, or 385 miles (IQ Routes) south of Edinburgh).

EDIT - unless of course, that was what somebody posted on this forum and I'm confused - I've just checked*, and I can see traffic incidents as far away as Liverpool (201 miles) - of course there might be nothing else further away right now.

* Yes, it's working now - see below.
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:
Now as it happens, I have anther ongoing problem with them, which is not yet resolved (the thing with the HOME account not allowing 2 devices), so I have my laptop, and docking station in the car, and actually can and did do this. However, when I rang them back, they simply said that they had received the information, and would look into it.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Background: I tried to connect my new 540 via home, but it didn't work because it said that my email address already has a device (my old ONE) regiestered. On Tues, I created a temporary account with a different address to get the updates anyway. In the meantime, I asked TT to assign the 540 to my proper email address, and discard the old address entirely. That was last week Wed/Thu. Yesterday, my HD Traffic stopped working (the same 'you can't use this abroad' that others have complained about).

As an experiment, I have just changed the TT account login info in the 540 to use the old / temporary email address. Guest what? Yep, it frigging worked. TT have done the opposite of what I requested, and assigned everything to my old email address, which is why it stopped working (Strange that it didn't say "you have no valid subscription" or anything like that, but unless it is a staggering co-incidence, the only thing I changed to fix it was the login - despite the fact that I have been using this login with no problem for a week).

To anybody who is getting the "2031" error message - I suggest that you confirm that the "My Account" login in the device is the same as the one used in home
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can assign new devices yourself via MyTomTom? HOME does not prevent you using multiple devices, but it does require that each device has a unique email address, a rather foolish system but still workable.
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
You can assign new devices yourself via MyTomTom? HOME does not prevent you using multiple devices, but it does require that each device has a unique email address, a rather foolish system but still workable.

I'll grant you that it is only an annoyance, and not a total failure! However, what is especially annoying is that I've asked them to disgregard my old device, and allow me to attach the new device to my account under my main email address, which they agreed to do....only for them to apparently do the reverse, and leave me to guess how to get it working (even when on the phone to them, they didn't tell me that LIVE services were not assigned to the account I was using)
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:
Flashyphotos wrote:

HD has full national coverage, regardless of your current location, and I thought GPRS did too.

No I think you are wrong. I was in Northern Ireland on the 10th and 11th, no traffic shown for any of the uk not even for the m25 or inner london. It showed me a wind sock both on the maps and the top left hand corner as the weather in N.I. was bad. So it would appear they are localising the traffic data, and as i expected the traffic data would be poor in N.I. I still would have expected to see some traffic in London but none, and yes traffic was working and up to date on my 940
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playswell wrote:
No I think you are wrong...

Hmm, I'm beginning to think I'm very much wrong too, based on all the comments here - I could have sworn I saw traffic in Edinburgh, but then I do remember somebody posting screenys in this forum.

I'm a lilttle surprised at that too, how can they promise accurate arrival time estimates if your journey goes outside of the area covered? (This is in part why I assumed complete coverage - yes I realise over such distances it's probably never going to be accurate anyway).
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:
Hmm, I'm beginning to think I'm very much wrong too, based on all the comments here - I could have sworn I saw traffic in Edinburgh, but then I do remember somebody posting screenys in this forum.

I'm a lilttle surprised at that too, how can they promise accurate arrival time estimates if your journey goes outside of the area covered? (This is in part why I assumed complete coverage - yes I realise over such distances it's probably never going to be accurate anyway).

Guinness, I do not think you were wrong, if you were so was I.

I checked the traffic last week with GPRS* as I was to travel to Inverness , I am positive I saw traffic in Edinburgh and Perth.

Which is why I asked my question in first place

* Edit - have corrected RDS to now read GPRS
GO 920 Dead
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick_1959 wrote:

* Edit - have corrected RDS to now read GPRS

I was wondering about that. Anyway, according to the panel you are from Cambs. Is that where you were when you saw the Edinburgh/Perth* traffic?

The longest distance I'm certain I've seen sofar is a little over 200 miles (by road, not crow). Can you or anyone else confirm a longer distance? Please do post if you've seen it.

*Edit - have corrected Pert to now read Perth Embarassed Laughing
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:

The longest distance I'm certain I've seen sofar is a little over 200 miles (by road, not crow). Can you or anyone else confirm a longer distance? Please do post if you've seen it.

I was at Grantham, but that is still 285 miles to Edinburgh.

Maybe I was lucky or it was a glitch in system
GO 920 Dead
ziro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was your route set to Inverness?

It might find traffic on your route..
SydEx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Sitting in my office near Oxford, my 540 is reporting traffic from the South Coast to as far North as Newark. There is nothing North of that, in Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: