Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO x20/x30 Series Update: 8.300(9732) Now Available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO x20/x30 Series Update: 8.300(9732) Now Available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Hmm three pages and no mention of the FM Transmitter - perhaps you lot don't use it then? - Mike

DinAlt wrote:
Arrgh - just noticed no FM out for instructions, so this really is the X40 navcore with older style Icons....

Not a good change - downgrading the older units becuase of teh penny oinching on the X40s

So I've just looked at it on my 920 - although I don't use it all the time, I do have one channel preset on my FM Radio to 88.0MHz for when I fancy having the nav instructions at better quality. I expected I'd still have it available (some dim memory that the 540 and 740 don't have something, but the 940 does). But NO, I don't have the function to send Navigation instructions to FM any longer.

Right, I'll give app 8.300 a run out to see what terrific improvements it offers alongside my 720 running app 8.010, but it's beginning to look like a revert to previous backup is on the cards. To me, this is not a trivial loss like the silly compass furore. It's looking like I was right - this next upgrade is at the expense of degraded existing functions, just so that TT can blow the trumpet about new developments. Personally, I don't think the HD Live traffic and IQR2 will show to be noticeable improvements and with degrades like this, I feel even less tempted to get an x40.

Back in the good old days, my GO700 used to get me from A to B with mystifying accuracy and it used to handle my phone calls and text messages without breaking.

Nowadays, I have updated maps with fewer bends and more roundabouts which don't exist and telling me to turn right where the City of London will send me to jail if I do. I have IQ routing which makes not a bit of difference. I have a jukebox (at my age for God's sake!!). I have photo viewing (whilst I'm driving???). I have audio books to read me a bedtime story whilst I'm driving. I have mapshare which jiggers up my maps. I have GPSFix which jiggers up my position on the map. I have EPT which sends my 920 spinning round all points of the compass every time I go under a wide bridge or between high buildings. My phone hands free regularly crashes in the middle of business calls - my mobile phone is the only way I get business! My RDS-TMC tells me to avoid traffic which isn't there and doesn't tell me to avoid traffic which is there. What else can I look forward to?

Next time my son-in-law visits, I seriously think I may smack him about the head and steal back my trusty old GO700.

If TomTom's business operations had to rely on my GO920, they'd be going into liquidation!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
razor302
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the actual difference in the new map update, does anyone know?

Are there big changes as I have been reporting a motoway extension at the end of the M57 for months and it was still not updated on the last set of maps.

Razor
gblades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtoms traffic cameras work better under 8.3 as it now only alerts you to cameras applicable to the direction you are traveling in.
razor302
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, I think you should be heading for the Garmin or Navman door !!!

Laughing

Razor !!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razor302 wrote:
What the actual difference in the new map update, does anyone know?

Are there big changes as I have been reporting a motoway extension at the end of the M57 for months and it was still not updated on the last set of maps.

Razor

Could we please keep questions about the new maps to the the v815 map thread here to make it easier for everyone to find the relevant information.
Samsung Galaxy S21
budcj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just connected my 520 to the computer and as well as the new version, the new map (815) is now also available to download.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

budcj wrote:
I have just connected my 520 to the computer and as well as the new version, the new map (815) is now also available to download.

The new maps are already being discussed here.
Samsung Galaxy S21
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using my 930 today with the update.

With my bluetooth remote connected, the unit crashed and rebooted itself 4 times over a period of about 1.5 hours.

With the bluetooth not connected, over a similar time span, there were no failures.

Anyone else got this problem or solutions??
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Hmm three pages and no mention of the FM Transmitter - perhaps you lot don't use it then? - Mike

Oh boy, this is a real retrograde step for me - and more than ironic that the Fm trnasmission of instructions function was one of the key features that made me go for the 520 in the first place! Surprised

I don't have, and am unlikely to have for a long time, an incar bluetooth device and I don't understand why FM transmission of instructions to radio can't be retained as an option - like it still is for playing mp3's
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lamplight wrote:
I don't have, and am unlikely to have for a long time, an incar bluetooth device and I don't understand why FM transmission of instructions to radio can't be retained as an option - like it still is for playing mp3's

The legislation, what little I can discern so far anyway, seems to prohibit intermittent short duration transmissions such as voice etc. Music is constant.

Why this is not permitted I haven't yet discovered nor why TomTom can't just transmit constantly even if the transmission is just the silence between voice prompts. This may be a power/battery issue but I'm just guessing.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the brand new pair of walkie talkies I've just bought for calling Vera from the bottom of the garden ("Bring us a cold one luv") are unlawful? They had some with a 10 kilometre range for chatting from car to car as you drive off in convoy on holiday, but I only got the 2 kilometre ones (the garden isn't that big to be honest).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
So the brand new pair of walkie talkies I've just bought for calling Vera from the bottom of the garden ("Bring us a cold one luv") are unlawful? They had some with a 10 kilometre range for chatting from car to car as you drive off in convoy on holiday, but I only got the 2 kilometre ones (the garden isn't that big to be honest).

They do not fall under the Low power FM legislation.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having major problems with the computer voice as it keeps on breaking up with every road name mentioned ,I disabled it late today so haven't seen the full effect yet
esim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: AAArrrrgggghhhh Reply with quote

I'm getting a bit fed up with tomtom's "upgrades" as they seem to remove functionality every time.

This time "Disable hands-free" is no longer available in the quick menu and "Navigate to spoken address" doesn't work after upgrade. Crying or Very sad

And that's just two items I've noticed within 2 min of upgrading! Evil or Very Mad

It's now downgraded to 8.010 again

Here is a novel idea Tomtom: give us bug fixes and new functions, NEVER remove functionality that the unit was sold with. Mad
(like the removal of ITN's from the One)

TT 720, TT One v3
HTC One V, Asus TF101, Garmin eTrex
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
So now I go to my 920, which now has app 8.300 (9732/081030) OS:244890. Map Western and Central Europe v810.1907. My road showed no speed, so I changed it to 30mph. It now shows 31mph. I shall not be doing any more. Now 1mph is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of my home town speed limits. But in the grand scheme of an international company with millions of customers, it really is disappointing that they have corrected one bug by replacing it with another.

Just corrected a speed from 60 to 40 and it shows:

TT has obviously prepared a special version for you, Dennis Wink

I noticed the option to select country for TMC has disappeared - but it tuned in quickly enough earlier. You can still set manual frequency.

Disappointed compass has not been reinstated - I found it useful (and fun) to show distance and direction to destination.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: