Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ziro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 3:

IQ routes reported arrival time of 8:05.

Slow traffic a good chunk of the A14 both directions.

Noticed stop-start traffic reported going the opposite direction (westbound) due to 1 lane being restricted as the recovered a burnt out lorry (which closed the road the last night). nothing reported eastbound though.

Took me a different route to my usual when I got to cambridge, ended up wasting time in traffic. I think I'll just ignore it next time and go my usual way.

Arrived at destination at 8:33 with no traffic/delays shown on my route.

I'd say -something- isn't performing as i'd hoped.
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Will somebody let me know when Beta testing of HDT and IQ2 are completed, please. Might be tempted if they ever work!

At least beta testing the x40 we are getting some traffic, when we had the first SD units there was complete silence unless you ripped them apart and modified them,

Also noticed a lot of the static exit images have changed on the x40 to x30 versions. EG M1 Jnc 28 No Image on V810 x30 Proper 2 exit lane image on x40. This is also the case with junctions before that just showed a single slip road, seem to be updated now.

So far although there are teething troubles it looks more hopeful than earlier units

BUT as for the speed camera data!!!

In the words of Top Gear Australia ! "What were they thinking!!"

If thats the best Road Angel can do, have all there subscribers been banned from the road!
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have filed a TomTOm support query regarding the cameras
hailstorm
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm driving around the Gloucestershire area. Looking at traffic on the map this morning I'm seeing traffic covering a lot more of the map. A day ago I was only seeing reports for London, Bristol and Birmingham. Now the map is covered in lots of red dots. Noticed that there was one for Cheltenham this morning.

I did get stuck in traffic coming out of Gloucester for half an hour last night. Was a bit disappointed that it provided no warning.
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm - HD traffic is intended to combine data from multiple sources (e.g. highways agency) as well as their own Vodafone stats? Is that right?

Also, at the risk of going slightly OT, I remember reading the sub for Live services was only on a month-by-month basis - how easy is it to upgrade and downgrade from the service as needed? I'm also presuming this replaces the old GPRS/SD traffic so you can't use that on X40 devices as a fall back...
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, at the risk of going slightly OT, I remember reading the sub for Live services was only on a month-by-month basis - how easy is it to upgrade and downgrade from the service as needed? I'm also presuming this replaces the old GPRS/SD traffic so you can't use that on X40 devices as a fall back..

THats what they said, BUT acording to the bumf on the box, it seems you have to give 30 days notice to end.

So now looks like a rolling contract with 30 days notice, which is not what they advertised.!

Will have to wait till the renewal site goes live to confirm.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still use the old RDS-TMC devices with the x40 if you have the correct type and the mount with the connector for it, the device will handle which service it is going to use, switching to the RDS system if/ when you have no GPRS signal for the built in receiver to use - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:
THats what they said, BUT acording to the bumf on the box, it seems you have to give 30 days notice to end.

So now looks like a rolling contract with 30 days notice, which is not what they advertised.!

Will have to wait till the renewal site goes live to confirm.

Keep us informed? The devil is always in the detail but this was certainly not how I understood the subscription to be. I thought you could give notice at any point and have the sub terminate at the end of the current month.

If you have to give 30 days notice then that is quite different and that was never disclosed before. In this case the minimum you could subscribe for would be 2 months.
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the TT web site under About Live services

"There is no minimum subscription period to LIVE Services. You can end it at any time - all you need to do is give one month’s notice."

and also

"It costs just £9.95 per month, and you can cancel the subscription at any time, giving a month's notice." Though we know it's only £7.99...
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere.

Are TomTom likely to provide software upgrade for my 920T to effectively turn it into one of the new LIVE models?
Appreciate that I may have to buy extra kit. If so, what? As and when, if ever, this upgrade becomes possible - in the UK?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thetrotter wrote:
Apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere.

Are TomTom likely to provide software upgrade for my 920T to effectively turn it into one of the new LIVE models?
Appreciate that I may have to buy extra kit. If so, what? As and when, if ever, this upgrade becomes possible - in the UK?

Well the HD Traffic Receiver Accessory was 'supposed' to offer this but there is much confusion currently on if/when this will be released in the UK.

Its launch has been postponed but until when we don't yet know.
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:
Also noticed a lot of the static exit images have changed on the x40 to x30 versions. EG M1 Jnc 28 No Image on V810 x30 Proper 2 exit lane image on x40. This is also the case with junctions before that just showed a single slip road, seem to be updated now.

I won't repeat what I posted earlier about M1 J9-11, but interestingly, M1 J19 (northbound) for M6 didn't have an image for 3 and 3, or at least didn't display it. It did however have the correct 3 and 3 instruction icon.
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:
Plenty of traffic being reported right now - 180 incidents, which is more than I have seen at any time since I bought it.

Currently 271. Of course, it's Friday, so more are expected, but the increase in numbers could be an indicator of improvement over the last few days, as things go live*

* no pun intended
rolandgeorge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new 940. The quality of the HD traffic information around Cardiff is extremely poor. None of the traffic jams I've been in this week have been shown and so my arrival times have been way behind what my TomTom has calculated using IQ routes. I have just come back from the M4 where there was a queue over a mile long at the eastbound exit to junction to 33. Nothing is being reported by HD Traffic (the queue has been there over half an hour). I really hope things improve with HD traffic - it is massively disappointing in its current form. Sad
stealthdevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

I have been using my tomtom 540 for a few days now and have covered 600 miles so far. So a quick review on the HD traffic side of things..

Note I did own a 530 using RDS-TMC for traffic, so will be providing some comparison here as well.

My journey consists of various A roads and multiple motorways with each journey between 50 and 100 miles.

When I first got this tomtom, I wasn't as happy as I thought with the hd traffic. I was under the impression any major traffic incident would be reported. I usually travel over the runcorn bridge which has traffic every single working day and so was under the impression the x40 would alert me every morning. However it didn't.

It didn't because it didn't need to. As the new IQRoutes calculates for every 5mins of the day, the average speed on that road was correct even though it is a lot of stop/start going on at times. The 530 didn't take this into account. For those not familiar with the roads would also not need to know there is traffic as there ETA is already taking the delay into account.

I have so far run into a few traffic incidents. All of them were reported. I was travelling on a busy A road, a car had broken down and so the police closed a small section of the lane. No big delay, but slow moving. The x40 reported this right away as a 2min delay.. The delay was roughly 2mins.

On Friday, I was making a trip up the M6. 8 incidents reported to me from the start, including 1 accident. I was alerted to the accident when the queue was just 4mins. Over the course of the next 25mins, the x40 did continuously update the situation, and I could see the traffic length increase with each update. It certainly does put your mind at ease that you can actually trust the information.

The x40 offered me an alternative route which would save me having to sit 35mins in traffic. The message popped up on the screen, the voice control activated automatically. I agreed to the re-route and went on my way. I rejoined the M6 just a mile after the accident where everyone was still queuing. A friend of mine unfortunately does not have a tomtom and was stuck in that traffic. Over this particular journey, every minor traffic incident was reported. Be it slow moving traffic, traffic queuing up, stationary etc.

Even traffic as small as 150 yards was being reported! I had many 1 min delays showing on the screen. While it may not appear important if it's just 150 yards, collectively over the course of the journey it can be a lot.

Another feature I didn't know this tomtom had, was warnings regarding road conditions. For this journey, I was experiencing heavy winds, tomtom did display on the screen a red triangle with a picture of a wind sock in the middle to warn me of heavy winds. Looking at the traffic map, it had pointed out all locations experiencing heavy wind.

This is all in contrast to the RDS-TMC where I could not trust the traffic incidents. 5min delays taking 40mins, reporting of traffic when it never existed and so on. It was unable to keep a decent signal, you would always doubt the report and if you skipped an incident you could never be sure if you did the right thing. With HD traffic, the speed of information coming through, the continuously updating incidents report all do put your mind at ease that the information you can actually trust.

In summary. I've always wanted a device that would give me accurate traffic information. Something which would actually help me avoid any delay I can. I can honestly say that TomTom have pulled it off with this one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: