Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Any Nuvi Traffic users around Newcastle
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Nuvi Traffic users around Newcastle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
expats
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Any Nuvi Traffic users around Newcastle Reply with quote

I have recently purchased a Nuvi 660T (having used, in the past, a 310T). I am a little perturbed at the lack of information sent through the TMC system to the Nuvi. I have been caught in traffic numerous times around Newcastle upon Tyne. This is generally reflected correctly on the Trafficmaster website (Garmins traffic administer). And I am not talking on the minor A and B roads. I have seen numerous incidents on the A1 which have been conspicuous by there absence on the GPS. It isn't a reception problem either as the green lights have been dazzling (unlike the quality of traffic information in the North East).

Any others finding this same problem. My Nuvi 310T, even with an Athermic windscreen at the time, gave more reliable information. So what has happened? Has there been a reduction of RDS data transmitted due to lack of bandwith? Are stronger transmitters down south overpowering the northern ones as Garmin support informed me (although I doudt this as I continually get traffic warnings over towards the lake district which dont actually appear on the Trafficmaster website)?

Contacting Garmin and Trafficmaster just draws a blank. Trafficmaster do not even want to know that I feel there is a problem with the system that I am a customer of, indirectly via Garmin. Garmin dont want to know as all they are interested in is if there are warnings coming through, the system is working.

So I am now considering I have wasted my time and money settling for a a Garmin Traffic unit as the roads I travel (predominantly the A1), despite having crystal clear reception of a transmitter, does not give me the service I paid for.

Incidentaly, I have an in-built sat nav in my other car which is feed by itis traffic and this gives me plenty of sensible information.
JGRobinson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Having the same problem with Tomtom XL Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem - about I have a tomtom one XL with TMC and about 2-3 months ago it was great.

But since then they seem to have disabled the TMC for the A1 which results in the sat nav suggesting everything is fine when next to the washington services is a carpark. Other responses from the A19, A692, and A1321 look ok, just appears to be the A1.

Whats interesting though is that an accident symbol is displayed correctly on the A1, but just no traffic flow information

I'm currently waiting for a response from Tom Tom about who to contract about this as in its current state the TMC is next to useless.

I'll post what they say.

Graham

Last edited by JGRobinson on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: TMC Problems Reply with quote

I have the Nuvi 860 T and the traffic doesn't always come through, when it does come on it is most delays at the Swalwell towards the Metro Cetnre.

I must admit that the TMC reception does seem hit and miss a lot of the time, last week I had the misfortune to forget that Haydon Bridge is a nightmare with the A69 road works, sat there for 20 mins waiting for the traffic lights to change ( yes you guessed not a squeak out of the TMC)

When it does work it's brilliant but as much use as chocolate tea pot most of the time.

Jerry
JGRobinson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: I've posted on this forum Reply with quote

Hi,

I've posted on this forum

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=55886&start=225

which is monitored by ITIS which supplys the TMC information to see what they say

Cheers
Graham
expats
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont seem to pick up any useful traffic delays even when I am getting loud and clear reception. There are a couple of spots where the TMC reception is fine before dipping into the team valley. One night it showed no problems either before or after the 20 minute delay. I got home ten minutes after being stuck in traffic, fired up the Trafficmaster website, and sure enough delays in the Team Valley. I have a hunch there is a fair bit of data not actually being transmitted via RDS and I have to say these ommisions are making the traffic side of my unit useless.

My frustration is none of the companies involved in the process are interested in taking the time to find out what the issues are. Perhaps if they reduced the cost of units up in the north-east and stated "Traffic services not a Useful feature around North Yorkshire, East Yorkshire, Cleveland, Durham, Nothumberland and Cumbria" I would be happy. All Garmin will do is take the unit in to confirm it is receiving traffic data, despite my efforts to tell them its the data (or whats missing from the data) thats the problem.

Oh well. At least I am getting advanced notification of tailbacks on the M25. Just in case I decide to take that way home. Whilst I am there I guess I could pop down to Southampton and give them the traffic recieiver back.
expats
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well surprise surprise.

The last couple of days has seen just the sort of traffic warnings I would have expected around the A1, A19. I haven't been at work to confirm the accuracy but these are the first warnings I have seen from the area in the 3 weeks I have had the unit.

Almost as if someone had made a change to the network (oh how facetious of me to think that).

But anyway, it seems for now perhaps there will be some data of use.
The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: TMC in the Newcastle area Reply with quote

No doubt if you have a nice trip down to Southampton to take the sat nav back you will have perfect traffic reports whats happening up back home.

Jerry
JGRobinson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its still not working on the A1 for me - this morning it was like a carpark, TM said 25 mins, more like 45...
expats
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say the performance of Traffic has improved dramatically lately. My wife has been using the unit more than me recently but she has actually been receiving sensible information around the A19.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: