Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 2210 - TMC issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 2210 - TMC issues
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kinder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Navigon 2210 - TMC issues Reply with quote

Alright, already mentioned this on another post. Got a new device last week, but during about 24 hours of driving i seem to have only received 10 minutes of TMC broadcasts. I've tried different settings, including trying to lock onto Classic FM only, still no joy. Extremely frustrating as this was one of the main reasons for getting the device.

Anyone have any suggestions how to improve reception? I've looked up y-splitters but am not sure if these will work as TMC is picked up through the USB charger cable.
garden_elvis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have had limited success with the 2210 TMC info, I used to have a Garmin Nuvi 350 with GTM12 and by the time I'd reached the M25 about 5 miles away I had full traffic info using that. With the 2210 I have never had traffic info with Classic FM even though it says its 5bars but I did get it with Mercury but that is North M25 and by that time I'm stuck in traffic!

The only difference I can see is the position of the aerial. On the GTM12 I positioned it along the dashboard and up to the LH corner of the windscreen.
With the 2210 the aerial comes the device and down to near the handbrake, so what I've done is buy a cigarette lighter splitter and will try positioning the aerial along the dash to get a better reception.

I think the problem is all to do with reception rather than the device.

I'll let the forum know how I get on.
thebigman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 2100 Max and have it locked onto Heart so far I've had a lock (only 2 bars) but it is finding traffic information continuously.

I think that Navigon have not put a lot of thought into the position of the antenna and really need to rethink it, maybe it should have been positioned just under the USB connector or integrated into the actual product.

Come on Navigon sort your products out.
martin-stevens
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting reception but the traffic reports just aren't very good. It's never picked up traffic jams at the Dartford tunnel despite my BMW picking them up and TomTom Traffic picking them up (do they use a different system?).
What does the Navigon use for traffic info?
I was also stuck on the M11 a month or so ago when it was shut for a while and it never once mentioned it on the TMC despite listing lots of other traffic items. Not at all impressed, which is a shame as it's very good otherwise.
Any tips to get better TMC performance (i.e. locking to a station or frequency?)?
garden_elvis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend I plugged in an extension lead to the power and placed the power lead up on the dash and then the little black nubbin on there in the LH corner of my windscreen, still need to affix it properly

I manually tuned to 106.2 which is Heart FM as the previous poster said. (it was stuck on Classic on automatic and I've never had any traffic on there) and it worked - within 30 secs I was receiving traffic data.

Trouble is Heart FM is 106.2 down south but the frequency changes as you go north so I don't know how it will work as I go up north might have to go back to auto or something, so some success yes.
martin-stevens
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you select "Keep this station" it should retune as you go North.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebigman wrote:
I have the 2100 Max and have it locked onto Heart so far I've had a lock (only 2 bars) but it is finding traffic information continuously.

I think that Navigon have not put a lot of thought into the position of the antenna and really need to rethink it, maybe it should have been positioned just under the USB connector or integrated into the actual product.

Come on Navigon sort your products out.

TMC over the radio is the same no matter what brand product you have. Unfortunately not enough stations in the UK broadcast the information.
It's the UK which need to invest in some better transmitters.
garden_elvis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a list somewhere of which stations broadcast TMC info?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the device use iTIS or Traffic Master data, I have lists for both which include the transmitter locations, frequency and power level as POI files but each file is unique to the data provider as they both use different radio stations - Mike
garden_elvis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to search around, Navigon don't say explicitly what they use but on a previous post on this site

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=51875&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I found

Yes, Navigon use RAC-TrafficMaster for their RDS-FM TMC supply

Thanks in advance
martin-stevens
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would like the Traffic master station etc info. Can you post it here or PM me?
Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have your e-mail addresses so I will send the files over once I get back to the main PC at home - Mike
garden_elvis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, I didn't receive the location of the transmitters can you send again please?

On a related note I've found a foolproof way to get traffic. Set the traffic settings to hold frequency then tune the device to the channel you know works locally, at my house in the South East this is Heart FM 106.2. Within 10-15 seconds you have traffic flooding in.
I've found automatic to not work for quite a while and usually its too late. It seems to stick with Classic FM or BBC radio 4 which doesn't transmit the trafficmaster data.
The antenna position is crucial too, I've attached my antenna to the rear view mirror so it's hanging vertically in the car down to the 12v socket near the handbrake and it seems to help loads.
When driving around you have a choice to make I switch back to automatic if I'm driving away from the London area since Heart FM dies and I don't get anymore data from that channel. Good luck.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garden_elvis wrote:
It seems to stick with Classic FM or BBC radio 4 which doesn't transmit the trafficmaster data.

That's a failing with Navigon's TMC implementation going way back to version 4 of the software. I think what's happening here is that the unit is recognising that Classic FM transmits some sort of TMC signal but won't be able to decode it (because Classic transmits the iTIS version of TMC signals rather than the TrafficMaster version). At that point it should give up and move on to try a different station/frequency. (I've no idea why it picks up BBC R4!)

I'm not overly surprised that Navigon have not fixed this yet (after half a decade!) as their understanding of TMC in the UK has been always been bloody-mindedly crap. Nevertheless, very annoying and needlessly stupid.

Thanks for mentioning this problem. I've been toying with the idea of coming back to Navigon but what with this and the fact that it isn't even a full implementation of TMC's available data (discussed in other threads), their chances of regaining me as a customer are ebbing away!

--

Cheers

Dave

--
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garden_elvis wrote:
Hi again, I didn't receive the location of the transmitters can you send again please?
Done - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: