Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One XL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One XL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
id
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: TomTom One XL Reply with quote

I don't know if any one has experienced this but my TomTom One XL has stopped charging. It works perfectly when plugged into the cigarette lighter and the PC but won't charge. I suspect that it may have occurred after an update but I'm not sure. Has anyonel else experienced this problem. The device is only 11 months old.

KR

David
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its only 11 months old I would get in touch with TomTom and arrange for it to be repaired under warranty, the phone number is 0845 161 0009 - Mike
jonokimber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Me too Reply with quote

Hello all, I too have a problem with my One XL crashing about once every 30 mins or so. Shall i file a new thread or shall we try and work thoriugh these problems together on this thread? I am quite a lurker on this site, not often having the time to post and get to the bottom off it all but reading a lot of others problems to see if it will fix mine.

Anyway, so far i have done plenty of hard resets as sometimes my crashes and reboots result in a device that won't restart. I have taken the card out, hard reset, switched on, put card in, done factory reset, downloaded a 'clearflash' exe from TomTom and all to no avail. I turned off bluetooth, removed all excess POI's ran in 2d mode, 3d mode and tried many other tricks, again, all to no avail.

I got the latest tomtom home and tomtom device updates, again, all to no avail. I purchased my tomtom from tesco very almost a year ago in fact just under 2 weeks to go before 1st year is up.

Please, what are my options for exchange, refund, service warranty etc?

Willing to start a new thread if told to do so and apologies in advance if so!

Jono
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For warranty service, the best bet is to ring TomTom direct on 0845 161 0009 as soon as possible, to get your problem logged with a date and case number.
If they decide it needs return for repair, they will usually send you a packing box and DHL label.

One other thought, you haven't mentioned actually removing the operating software and re-installing it. Have you?
jonokimber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: remove and replace? Reply with quote

Hi, I assume you are replying to my hijack of this thread, how do you remove and replace the operating system?

Thanks

jono
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it is written up here somewhere, but it's quickest if I point you to some instructions I did elsewhere.
How To Force Home To Download And Install Software
jonokimber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: lets see what happens Reply with quote

Well, i backed up my maps, voices and zip folders. Then i formatted the SD card, copied the folders back and updated the application three times in TomTom Home 2.4.

I am now on App 8.010 9369/080529 os 190943
32mb ram free 4.7mb
gps1.21 boot 5.3026
map uk and ireland v675.1409

I assume this is as far as the current updates go?

I did a factory reset as well so i am as fresh as a daisy.

Ascot to Cambridge to Shrewsbury to Bristol to Shrewsbury by Friday so we'll soon see if my crashing has gone for good.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully this advice might help the OP who's post i appeared to hijack. Sorry for that but good luck for your errant TT device too.

Thanks

Jono
jonokimber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: oh well Reply with quote

Just when i thought everything was good and after two or three trouble free days (probably a good thousand or so miles) it has started crashing again. One of the crashes resulted in a system that asks me to put the SD card in, despite it already being there.

I consider myself to be tech savvy, very able to work my way through forums an their good advice etc but i do not and will not have the time or patience to see this one through. It is a standalone unit specifically designed for one job and it consistently fails to do it, despite my best efforts.

I'm off to Tesco with 4 days left of my first year to see what they say.

Wish me luck!

Jono
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be as simple as a dodgy SD card.
jonokimber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: let's see Reply with quote

Well, Tesco were very well behaved and predictable.

I used their phone to get a reference number and because i was within the year she offered to replace the unit provided I could return all the contents of the box.

I said that I would be happy to take a new unit and give them the box and contents so they could return my old unit.

I am now the proud owner (until it starts crashing) of a new TT One XL GB. It is a newer model as this one doesn't have an SD card for the maps provided but it does have a slot for expansion.

Can anyone tell me how the expansion slot works? DO i have to copy all the internal stuff to a larger sd card if i want to use it at all?

I would read the manual, but i don't have one!

Let's see how she goes, ok so far (20 mile trip to the office).

Jono
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: let's see Reply with quote

jonokimber wrote:
I would read the manual, but i don't have one.

Manuals etc are available to download here
Samsung Galaxy S21
jonokimber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: typical Reply with quote

Well, it didn't actually say in the manual what the spare SD card slot is for but i'm sure the info is there if i need it on this forum and i will find it myself as and when i need it.

I did read on the TomTom site that it is for extra maps as previously thought so when i next go to France i may indulge.

I'm just backing up my new device before doing anything to it. Thanks for the advice and help so far.

Jono
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Jono, I wasn't saying RTFM, just that as you don't have a manual you might find it useful to download one from the TomTom website. Embarassed
Samsung Galaxy S21
jonokimber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: no need to apologise Reply with quote

Anita - no need to apologise, if anything i have been a bit lazy with my own lack of research into the situation and sometimes, selfishly, choose the easier option of posting on here instead of searching for and finding the info online.

As i suspected the TomTom manual was lacking in anything useful but for now i'm not too bothered as i'm uk based and don't expect to be using the expansion slot with foreign maps for quite some time.

RTFM is quite often the answer so you were right in saying what you did.

One bonus for me is that after 1 year of ownership (minus 4 days) i now have a new device with updated maps, woo hoo!

Jono
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The normal approach with the One devices is you have to place all the files and folders on to the card, when the device boots up it looks at the card and assuming it finds the TomTom software and other files it will use the card by default, this offers no access to what is stored on the internal flash memory.
When you take the card out the device will use the internal memory - the One devices cannot share the two different memory locations - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: