Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using TomTom Go for walking?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using TomTom Go for walking?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falkien
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe in the not too distant future Wink

http://wiki.opentom.org/index.php/Main_Page

...even if it's not via TomTom navigator !
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had wondered how long it would be before the open source folks got busy with Go! At the moment, the media player isn't a great deal of use (other than as proof of concept) because there's no GUI - but hopefully that will come.

The big problem is that there's no guarantee that TomTom will not change the Go hardware in the future; this may preclude commercial software companies from wanting to develop on Go. However, a nice 'handheld GPS' alike program would be an asset to many Go owners, and would, in my opinion, make a nice open source project.

Debugging will be a bit of a pain, but looking at the documentation on the site you mention, there is JTAG functionality on the connector for anyone that's got JTAG gear.

David
tomtomgoer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Using TomTom Go for walking? Reply with quote

[quote="rkm_hm"]I have just bought a TTG for in-car navigation, but would be interested in also using it to navigate when walking on unmapped moorland etc.

Is there any way in which a TTG can be used like a conventional GPS for displaying the compass bearing and distance of a specified waypoint (POI) from the current position?

If not, does anyone feel that this would be a useful feature to request in a future software release? Even better if it could maps tracks and forests etc. in national parks such as the Lake District, Peak District or New Forest.

Sounds like Geocaching may be a part solution for what you want. There is now a Geocache site that allows you to download all current caches in the uk to the TTG. Placed in the GB map, they became POIs that show on the map as a Chest icon. Add a warning sound, and set the distance to 100 yards. When you get close to the spot, zoom in and you will find yourself almost standing on the spot where the cache was hidden.

www.Geocacheuk.com
From the home page. 'Filedownloads' (bottom right of page)
There you will find a dropdown and Tomtom listed.
http://stats.guk2.com/caches/download.php

Thanks to Flypopa for this info.
Hope this helps
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
The big problem is that there's no guarantee that TomTom will not change the Go hardware in the future; this may preclude commercial software companies from wanting to develop on Go.
David

True, but then you could say that about almost any hardware...but it doesn't stop 3rd party companies from working on them.
newwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Using TomTom Go for walking? Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:

Is there any way in which a TTG can be used like a conventional GPS for displaying the compass bearing and distance of a specified waypoint (POI) from the current position?r

I recently bought the TOMTOM ONE £150 and that has a compass on it that you can do as you suggest with, and it also has the long/lat deg also (ideal if you get lost and have an OS map with you - or need to make an emergency call!!!)

The only thing is, that I haven't got a waterproof carry case for it, nor can you upload OS maps (well not that I am aware of).

B
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
No, the principal requirement was for an all-in-one in-car device for which a PDA with bolt-on bits would have been less good..

I think they understood what you meant as an all in one device, you see if you had thought about it a bit first and done some research you would have found the you could have purchased a PDA with GPS built in and then purchased tomtom software dor it and you can could have purchased mapping software dedicated for the use you descsribe from companies such as Anquet Mapping perfect for walking acroos the moors etc.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to use a proper Garmin handheld unit for walking.

TomTom GO is not waterproof and the battery only lasts an hour if you are lucky, plus it's too heavy and bulky.

TomTom can't even get the maps correct for roads, so what chance have they with off road!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether This Application will load/ work on your device is a little unknown as TomTom have removed a good deal of the support for third party applications such as this.

But if it works and you follow the instructions it is possible to show your position on a map tile that can be from any source (copy write dependent of course which is why I won't include any images showing a TomTom running OS maps - should it be possible to do such a thing).

I would heed the advice from the other forum members though and consider a PDA or dedicated off road PNA for such activity, creating map tiles and calibration of them takes a very long time - other than proving it can be done there is very little point pursuing this IMHO - Mike
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray-of-Sunshine wrote:
rkm_hm wrote:
No, the principal requirement was for an all-in-one in-car device for which a PDA with bolt-on bits would have been less good..

I think they understood what you meant as an all in one device, you see if you had thought about it a bit first and done some research you would have found the you could have purchased a PDA with GPS built in and then purchased tomtom software dor it and you can could have purchased mapping software dedicated for the use you descsribe from companies such as Anquet Mapping perfect for walking acroos the moors etc.

I think you may be overlooking the fact that this thread dates from November 2004 - i.e. nearly four years ago. It's unusual for people to reply after so long a gap. I'm not aware that PDAs with built-in GPS's were available at that time.

If you read back to the start of the thread, you will see that the TTG was exactly what I wanted and needed - but that didn't stop me wondering whether it could be used for other things, even though they weren't a specific requirement. I suppose I was (perhaps unreasonably) a little surprised that the TTG didn't have some of the features of my hand-held Garmin GPS which cost but a fraction of the (then) price of a TTG.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Pimmsoclock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: TTG for off road walking? Reply with quote

This post was 4 years ago and guess what.....TomTom still just make SatNavs for cars.

Garmin are experts in ALL navigation (cars, boats, planes, running and hikiing) and the GPS12 you have, is in my opinion the best handheld, even though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of their newest gear.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: TTG for off road walking? Reply with quote

Pimmsoclock wrote:
This post was 4 years ago and guess what.....TomTom still just make SatNavs for cars.

Yes, ideed - there have been lots of new models incorporating all sorts of gizmos since I bought my original TTG (now called Classic) back in 2004. I'm still using it - and haven't replaced it with a newer one, 'cos it still meets my needs. [I've upgraded the software and maps, of course - though not recently, so I'm not on the very latest of either.]

Pimmsoclock wrote:
Garmin are experts in ALL navigation (cars, boats, planes, running and hikiing) and the GPS12 you have, is in my opinion the best handheld, even though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of their newest gear.

Thinking back, I had a GPS38 - which didn't work very well in tree cover - at the time when I bought the TTG, which was probably why I was asking about using the TTG for cross-country walking. When I realised that wasn't on, I bought a used GPS12 on Ebay, and sold the GPS38.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize the original post is very dated, but since no one has brought it up yet...

If someone wanted to do this today, I would think it would be interesting to load some aerial imagery of the area as a map overlay in the TomTom, and then run ReverseITN from the webazar website.
Jolly_Roger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can create images to go in the 'raster' folder that show up on the 'browse map' view.

look here... http://create.tomtom.com/manuals/create-your-own-content/index.html?map_overlays.htm
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
I think you may be overlooking the fact that this thread dates from November 2004 - i.e. nearly four years ago. It's unusual for people to reply after so long a gap. I'm not aware that PDAs with built-in GPS's were available at that time.

My apologies I never noticed the date of the original posting.
Photopuppet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Tripmaster and Offroad Navigator programs which you can install onto your Tomtom SD card...

I use these and they work pretty well with OS maps and wayfinding etc. SIRFstar 3 chipset is very accurate and sensitive!

Only work with Navcore 7.54 or lower though apparently... (think TomTom removed or changed SDK support in later v's)

Link is http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/plugins.php?lang=uk

Good luck Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: