Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Some tomtom install pictures
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Some tomtom install pictures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamieo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Some tomtom install pictures Reply with quote

Just thought I'd share some photos of my tomtom cradle install I carried out today in my 2002 BMW 325i. I've mounted the cradle in the driver's storage compartment which allows charging of both the tomtom unit and pocket pc (cradle has spare 5v barrel socket).

I've modified the cradle a bit so I could route the power cable to it invisibly. For now I'm using the cradle as a charger only and just sit the tomtom on the dash when in use - this could be avoided with an external GPS aerial. I'm going to make a short charger lead for the pocket pc since the one in the photo is a bit long and has a bulky barrel -> ppc adapter on the end.

All in all, I think it's a very tidy install and since the gps and pocket pc are bluetooth, most of the time I won't even need any leads hooked up.

Pocket PC on charge - power is taken from tomtom cradle

View from low down to see tomtom fitted in storage compartment

View from seated position, tomtom cannot be seen.
mallettron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: TomTom Install Pictures - Docking Station Reply with quote

I notice that your installation includes the Docking station, did your system come with this?, if not, where did you get it from

Ronnie
jamieo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Install Pictures - Docking Station Reply with quote

mallettron wrote:
I notice that your installation includes the Docking station, did your system come with this?

Yes, I bought the tomtom before they stopped supplying the cradle.

Jamie
mallettron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont know where i could get a docking station from????

its either that or im going to have to get out the soldering iron again Sad

Ronnie
mallettron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: TOMTOM incar charger - DIY Reply with quote

I needed a quick charger so i made one out of a 78l05 (5v 500mA voltage regulator) together with a cable, plug etc.
It charged the BT reciever in about 2 hours but got very hot (checked the chip, it was sending 150ma max to the BT).
Out of curiosity I remade it, this time with a 7805 (5v 1A version), I expected this to stay cool and not be stressed since I was expecting about 150mA as well.
The chip got hot and the BT was charged in less than 30mins (current was nearly 1A !!!!).

The BT reciever is still ok and works with no problems

So what I really need is some kind of current limited system, i am going to buy a car charger for a IPAQ 3600 series and use that (well actually chop and change it so I can hardwire into the car)

Ronnie
Scott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linear regulators like the 7805 aren't a good choice for your application.

The 'unused' voltage gets dropped across the IC which means that the one in your last example is dissipating 7W ( = (12V - 5V) * 1A). I can't remember what the maximum power rating is but I don't think its 7W! At the very least you'd want to add a heatsink.

Hardwiring a proprietary charger sounds much more sensible.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: