Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Warn for roads i'm on? Also about alert distances.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Warn for roads i'm on? Also about alert distances.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaz2uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Warn for roads i'm on? Also about alert distances. Reply with quote

Hey,

I've been using Pocket GPS camera database for nearly a year now and love it, but one thing I really want to fix is that I get SO many warnings for cameras that are on all the roads around me, and I have to try and work out which warnings actually relate to me.

I have the TomTom One V3 and the only thing I can see to tick is 'Warn only if on route' but I usually haven't plugged a route into the tomtom so thats no use.

What can I do?

Also about setting up my warning distances, for the gatso cameras I have:

20mph - 300 yards
30mph - 300 yards
40mph - 400 yards
50mph - 500 yards
60mph - 1000 yards
70mph - 1000 yards

The mobile cameras:

20mph - 600 yards
30mph - 600 yards
40mph - 800 yeards
50mph - 1000 yards
60mph - 2000 yards
70mph - 2000 yards

Can anyone give me advice on the yards these are best at?

Thanks in advance!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best you can do is use Warn when POI on route and make sure you program a route every time you use the device (remember you don't have to follow it). The warnings are generated by the TomTom software so there is very little you can do to reduce the number of false warnings generated from adjacent roads - Mike
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to the warning sounds, you basically have 2 options which are to warn on route or not.

Under my setups, i have all the speeds by camera type setup to warn when im on a route, and when im on a cruise, i have the main all file set to `unticked` warn on route.

The distances you mention are good, in general you add a `0` to the speed to give you the warning yard distance i.e 30mph = 300 yards.
I know there is a guide on this site, however i think its more of a distance which you feel comfortable with.

Since ive been using the scdb, ive generally always had my warnings the same, and always been good for me so far!

One you dont mention is the redlight camera, for me its 320 yds.

Hope that helps.

MPW
gaz2uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies Smile

My red light camera is set to 300 yards.

If I bought a garmin 200 or a different navigation device rather than my tomtom one, would I be able to set it for only the roads i'm on? or will it be the same?
gaz2uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpwilson99 wrote:
With regards to the warning sounds, you basically have 2 options which are to warn on route or not.

Under my setups, i have all the speeds by camera type setup to warn when im on a route, and when im on a cruise, i have the main all file set to `unticked` warn on route.

The distances you mention are good, in general you add a `0` to the speed to give you the warning yard distance i.e 30mph = 300 yards.
I know there is a guide on this site, however i think its more of a distance which you feel comfortable with.

Since ive been using the scdb, ive generally always had my warnings the same, and always been good for me so far!

One you dont mention is the redlight camera, for me its 320 yds.

Hope that helps.

MPW

Just to make sure i've got this right, you have 'Speed Zoned' files all ticket to warn on route, and you also have the 'Single File' download which you don't have ticked to warn on route when you are cruising?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you removed any of the TomTom Safety Camera files that might be on the device? - if not these could be issuing additional alerts? - Mike
gaz2uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have disabled tomtom alerts.

I would be willing to buy another navigation device that only alerts to the roads i'm travelling on if there is one that works with the pocket gps database?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaz2uk wrote:

I would be willing to buy another navigation device that only alerts to the roads i'm travelling on if there is one that works with the pocket gps database?

You need a device that only alerts when you are travelling in the direction of the camera. Look for one running iGO software.

Sal
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm Garmin devices like the Nuvi will also alert on a Proximity Basis when in non-navigation mode. When following directions it'll only alert you camera that you are going to pass.
gaz2uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started ticking the alert only when on route, and it is much better Smile

I will just make sure I am using a route when I need it to alert me to the cameras, even if I know my way there!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set a destination and if you know a better route simply ignore the instructions from the device, this way you will get warnings with the exception of while the device is re-calculating due to you wandering off its route but this doesn't take more than a few seconds each time - Mike
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaz2uk wrote:
I've just started ticking the alert only when on route, and it is much better Smile

I will just make sure I am using a route when I need it to alert me to the cameras, even if I know my way there!

Excellent! Sounds like you have cracked it.

As you have found out, you will only get the warnings for cameras you will now go passed when warning on route, rather then ones close by.

I set my route up for work and back every day after all these years, and i still havent got bored!

MPW
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Set a destination and if you know a better route simply ignore the instructions from the device . . .

I'm not familiar with the One series, but if it's the same as the x20s, you can turn off spoken route directions by going to Change preferences / Voice preferences / Disable voice.

Or you could download a silent voice and use that.

With either of these methods you'd then only hear camera warnings (and any other POI warnings you'd set up), and no instructions.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: