Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Haicom 303 MMF Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Haicom 303 MMF Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revvin_Kevin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Haicom 303 MMF Questions Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been spending sometime determining which system will best fit my needs. I have pretty much decided on an ipaq 2210 + Haicom 303 MMF + TTN2. The system will spend most of it's life in one vehicle, but will on occasions be used in other vehicles, motorcycles and on foot, hence my decision to go with a CF GPS reciever for ease of use when transferring to other locations.

However, when it's in the main vehicle I want to use it as a 'mouse', so that it's permanently powered up. My question is regarding connecting the reciever to the ipaq and powering it. I'd like to use the Brodit passive mount with built in connector for ease and speed of use. ie, I'd like to be able to simple drop in the ipaq, power it up and go, no waiting for fixes and no messing around connecting cables.

So, the question is:

1. What connections does the Haicom come with when in 'mouse' mode?

2. Any harm in leaving it permanently powered?

3. What car charger / data cable will I need for this set up and where can I get one?

If anyone has a similar set up and can advise me it would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin.
Revvin_Kevin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I've found the cable I need here.

However, I would still be interested to here from anyone who uses the Haicom MMF as a 'mouse' and any ill effects from leaving it powered up all the time.

Kevin.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving it powered up shouldn't cause any ill effects with GPS Receivers, however it does depend on the components used by the manufacturer, we'll have a review shortly of the 303 MMF, but we haven't left it powered continuously.
Revvin_Kevin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now ordered my system and intend to set it up as a 'mouse' in my main car as I described above. As I understand it, the Haicom MMF is designed to be used either as a mouse or CF GPS, so I don't see that it should cause any problems.

I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Kevin.
seblog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i was exactly thinking about the same setup

I have one more question,
i was thinking of buying the seidio 2500 vent mount and leave the 303-mmf connected in the CF slot of the 2210 so, not use it like a mouse to avoid 2 more cables.

My question is: somebody has similar experiences with this setup, what i'm more worried about is: if i position the antenna of the 303-mmf to look a bit forward the windshield (let's say 15-20°), will the antenna see a sufficient numbers of satellites? If i look up from my vent, i can see about 100-120° of sky, is this enought?

I don't see how can make a huge difference putting the antenna at level with vent or in the dash since there are hardly 20cm of horizontal difference between them. ( i guess the antenna will be seeing maybe 130-140°, not more)

any experience is appreciated!

thanks a lot
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My HI-303MMF works fine as a CompactFlash GPS in car. Is there no way you can rig it up that way, however temporarily (which may necessitate stationary tests only), in car and try it before buying a new mount?

David
seblog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i was undecised if to go via a CF GPS solution or a bluetooth one.

I like the fact that the CF cost less and you have two less cables to accomodate in the car.

Since i'm gonna but all the equipment on ebay, it will be difficult for me to first buy one and then trade it in if it doesn't suits my needs.

Maybe best solution is to first try to go and use if as a CF, if the results are not satisfactory i will be forced to buy the relavant cables and use it as a mouse (i hope i can avoid this situation)

thanks

do you know if the oldest model of haicom CF GPS (with fixed antenna like haicom 302) works well in car or the swivable antenna is a great new feature not to be missed at any cost?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my HI-303MMF's antenna horizontal in car - though I don't find that the antenna angle makes that much difference to reception.

Be aware if you buy an HI-303MMF on eBay that older examples won't work with the HI-401 Bluetooth slipper. The presence of a second bar code on the unit (that is, other than the one on the label on the back of the CompactFlash part) usually signifies a unit that will work with the Bluetooth slipper, but it's apparently not a guarantee - there are both second bar code less units that will work with the slipper, and some reports of second bar code units that don't work with the slipper.

David
Revvin_Kevin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My unit is angled forward (it's on top the instrument binacle) and has no problems. I personally see no point in using a blootooth in the car as you still need to have a cable supplying power.

If you use the Haicom Cigarette lighter adapter you will have one wire to the pocket pc and one to the GPS receiver (which can be hidden if required). If you use bluetooth you will have one cable supplying power to the bluetooth unit and one to the pocket pc just the same but will need 2 power sources instead of just one.

I've used my setup as described in my previous post for 6 months with no problems whatsoever and find it very convenient and neat.

When changing vehicles I use it as CF with power cable to pocket pc only and suction thing-a-me-bob to windscreen. works equally well like this. have even used it on a M/cycle in tank bag, though my body can get in it's way sometimes.

HTH.
seblog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

i want to say thanks to all that replied and let you know that finally i went for this setup:

ipaq 2210
haicom 303-mmf
512mb toshiba sd
gomadic powered vent mount

i must say that i'm really satisfied, the reception level is always very good (from 4 to 9 satellites almost everywere) even with ipaq + cf placed on the dashboard.
The antenna is parallel to the ground but it doesn't make a lot of difference if tilted in other direction.
With the gomadic mount i can always power and recharge my ipaq which is very good.

So thumbs up for my new personal gps system!!!
i've bought everything on ebay and i think i saved about 50% of a normal retail price (full system costs me little less than 560€)

Only another question about the haicom, few days ago maybe (i don't remember exactly) i left the gps disconnected from the ipaq for a couple of days, when i reinsterted it into the ipaq, it when again to catch satellites for the first time (so i took more then 15minutes).
I was very scaried cause i thought it broke down, fortunately it was not!
Question: you know how long should last the li-ion battery inside the haicom before running dry and loosing all the position information?

thanks a lot!
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seblog......

I came across this thread too late to be of any help - but that's the story of my life. Sad

However, I think you've made a good choice as I ran a similar set-up with no problems.

I used the Haicom in the CF slot on my bike and also in my car with no problems whatsoever. However, I recently changed my car to one with a heated screen which killed reception and rather than go the cable route I bought the bluetooth slipper and mounted it in the rear window.

This works well and you might like to consider adding the bluetooth at some point.
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I forgot to add.......

I don't know how long the batteries last because mine is permanently powered but I do know that if they do go flat then you are effectiviely doing a cold start and satellite acquisition may well take 15 minutes. This is not a problem.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: